General Engine Oil

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Monday 13th May, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I recall another another american report rubbished that article citing RP is really poor but Amsoil XL7500 was top of the tree.

In the US the oil business is really cut throat with a lot of covert marketing.

Edit here is the result http://www.zag.si/~jank/public/bmw/oil_bible.pdf

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It would be good if there was a reputable source for oil testing and reviews for the UK, I see it as one of the most important fluids in the car. I've always used Mobil although I've heard Lucas is meant to be good. Not sure about Castrol, I hate how it comes in 4L containers! lol

What do you think of Valvoline Synpower?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Doesn't Synpower come in a 4L tub :Smile:

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    %&^$£*!!!!! :Wink:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Is Valvoline any good? Certainly has the price tag.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I can't see why not bud why don't you buy in bulk you can spread the cost and still use a quality lubricant.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I suppose it would make sense, although I don't really have the facilities such as a garage that I can get my car into as it's an old fashioned brick garage dating back 100 years - probably for smaller cars. I do my servicing and repairs across the city at another garage I can get my car into etc. But wouldn't want to be storing big vats of oil there! lol

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Look up the Lubetech section see the oil offerings and you can then pour them out in 4 x 5 litre tubs ready for oil changes.
    Then youcan carry your oil to your own garage and DIY. simples

let mew know if you want the discount code for lubetech if you are considering.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cool, cheers. I'm going to do the valve clearances first as I can hear a ticking sound now when revving next to a wall etc and then suss out this cranking, although it's noticeably better since the video. Oil change etc is definitely on the cards though :Smile:

12. Eck Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Above all, as I said before, as your manual says (i.e.Honda) correct viscosity and above all oils specification the SAE requirements being met, bought from a reputable maker and supplied by reputable supplier, just not viscosity there are about 4 viscosities for available in Halfords that may be for a Honda for instance but only 1 meets SAE requirements for Honda. If you really want to look after the engine follow the specifications, not the adverts or fashions or indeed the expense!!Honda really need to get of their comfy seat and specify makes, marketed brands, suppliers etc. because quite honestly in the purest sense of engineering this is beyond the every day user to evaluate the best.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I ran out of time and needed to pick some oil up yesterday and unfortunately Halfords was the only place I could find that sells 0W30 so ended up getting [gulp] Castrol Edge 0W30. Fingers crossed lol

The oil, oil filter and air filter is now changed and next time I'm buying an oil filter remover (the one that has a drive so I can torque it). Couldn't budge the filter for love nor money so ended up with the last resort and punching a screwdriver through it. I noticed that the car is remarkably clean underneath, although I do try and get under it with the jet hose whenever possible.

Checked my valves today and they are out so adjusting them tomorrow and looking forward to seeing what difference that makes. :Smile:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds