Service & Maintenance Engine Oils

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Heckler, Thursday 1st Oct, 2015.

1. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Getting everything together for a service, just the oil and oil filter to get now. Will be Honda filter... but their oil is a touch on the pricey side at around £55 for 4lt. I know many of you say you should only use the Honda one, but over the last 25yrs I've been driving I've stuck with fully synthetics from Total, Castrol and so forth and have never had any issues with any engine.

Car is PFL and no DPF so I won't need a specific oil for that.

So would this be a sensible alternative

More than enough for the service and leaves a couple of small 1lt bottles for top ups over the year to the next service.

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've always used a genuine Honda oil filter but I never get my oil from Honda as they never have what I want, which used to be 0W20 for the Petrol 2.4 Accord or 0W30 for the 2.2 CDTi CR-V. They only ever seem to have 5W30.

So, I go either Castrol C3 (from Costco as it's an excellent price) or Mobil 1 C3 (from online) because you get 5 litres instead of Castrol's penny pinching 4L! lol C3 superseeds A5/B5 specs. I found that my Accord preferred Mobil1 and my CR-V preferred Castrol but still liked Mobl1. When I had my MPS6 there was a lot of recommendations to use Shell Ultra Hx7 but I found the engine became noiser much quicker than when using Castrol or Mobil1. I could have just been imaging it of course but to be honest there's never usually a huge difference in price between Castrol and Mobil1 compared to other brands if you know where to get it from.

There's lots of debate about whether or not brands matter, just so long as they meet the minimum requirements, but then that's just it.... "minimum". Lets just say I wouldn't put ASDA own brand 0W30 in my CR-V just because it's C3 spec'd.

Heckler likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@Heckler - I've never been 100% clear on the difference between various brands when they conform to a specification, but agree with @ArcticFire.

I would have thought staying with a known brand would be fine TBH.

You may be interested in this Gulf alternative from Opie Oils? They did have a 15% off promotion earlier in the year, and as they are a HondaKarma affiliate it may be worth seeing whether they'll discount anything for you (no idea if they will, but it can't hurt to ask!)

Gulf Formula G 0w-30 fully synthetic engine oil Service Pack: 6 litres for Honda Accord Tourer MK VIII [2003-2015] Estate 2.2i-CTDI

By the way, my Honda dealer now uses MORRIS oils, but they do seem to be a bit more expensive...

Heckler likes this.
  4. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

@ArcticFire @FirstHonda That's pretty much what I thought... I did check opie oils but they're not running any offers on what i want at the moment... the Total one I listed above meets the same specs as the Gulf formula g... so 7lts for £41.99 and free delivery beats £37.98 + P&P for 6lts... for what appears to be the same spec oil.

I'll grab some of that and order an oil filter over the weekend... Be ready to do the service before the MOT at the start of Dec then.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm sure it was Gulf oil I used for the transmission and rear diff for my MPS6 and it was great. I think Gulf has a good rep.

6. Mark11 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mark chesterfield
  7. Euan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I went for a barrel (20L?) of Optima 0w30 oil from Lubetech. There is a discount available for members. Has all the appropriate certifications and a decent price - assuming you are planning keeping you car for a few services.

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Id stick with Castrol for your CTDi - used Mobil in mine a while back and it hated it, drank it like mad and fuel consumption plummeted, as did the performance. Also, Honda uses Castrol as their oil. Buy OEM oil and you are buying Castrol

My CTDi likes Castrol - I have recently just been getting the oil from Honda when I have ordered stuff in, more for ease than anything else as I couldn't be bothered to drive to Costco. Castrol Titanium is very good.

If memory serves me correctly, I think its 5.8 ltrs needed for a CTDi service.

Mark11 likes this.
  9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm not sure if it's still the same but wasn't the Honda brand oil actually Total oil, distributed by Castrol and rebranded by Honda? I'm sure cj did a post on this?

10. Mark11 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

does anyone know when you change the oil on these diesels is there a special way or can i do it normal.

my mate did an oil change on a VW and when he put the oil back in it would start it did some thing to the tension on the chain.

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Normal.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    But that doesn't sound normal? Lol

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    No, that sounds odd! The I-CTDI chain tensioner (there are two) ARE hydraulically operated, but I've never needed to do anything 'special' after an oil change, other than let the engine idle until the oil pressure light goes off. On the other hand, the VAG TDi diesel has a cam belt, so I wouldn't expect the tensioner for that to be hydraulically-operated?

14. Mark11 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

it was a new car think was vw .i know it did something to the chain, just wanted to check Honda wasnt the same

15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    No. I've changed mine at least ten times and never had to do anything other than the usual stuff. The oil filter housing is easy to undo (assuming you don't have girly hands) but there are 3 o-rings that need to be replaced, so make sure they come with the filter you buy, and make sure that you put the largest o-ring into the correct (sbsolute top) groove... There is an adjacent groove and I wrongly put it in there once. It leaked.

16. Mark11 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok cheers yes got new o rings got filter from honda and 0 30 castrol ede oil but honda told me to put 5 30 but read on here 0 30 is right ?

17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    0w-30 is the grade recommended by Honda for use in 'Europe', but it does seem that many dealers use 5w-30 as the default. It really doesn't make much difference in the UK climate.

Mark11 likes this.
  18. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I know on some VW they use a cambelt for the main timing on camshaft one, but the rear of the engine is a chain to drive the second camshaft which is tensioned using oil fed tensioner.
    I cannot for the life of me see how an oil change could affect this though. Unless there was a complete and total lack of oil pressure.