Engine & Gearbox Engine performance?

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by steve4536, Sunday 16th Jun, 2013.

1. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Having had the CR-V for a numer of weeks now and gotten used to most of its foibles. The one thing I'm starting to have doubts about is the strength of the 2.0 engine.
    It feels as though it needs bullying along at times to get going. I'm the sort of driver who likes to make progress when safe to do so I.E. overtaking as opposed to being part of a slow train being driven by an idiot up front. The 2.0 engine does not give me a lot of confidence to do this now.
    Anyone else feel the same way?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You have to be in the right gear at the right moment. You won't find any Honda petrol pulling away easily from top gear\higher unless you are matching the road speed to engine speed. Only the Diesel with its low down torque can give you that lazy driving style.

3. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Elementary my dear Watson. But mine is an automatic box.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Then that could be argued, is that why Honda gave you the "Sports mode" so you can overtake other vehicles with a bit less stress?

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No I don't think so..

Automatics are a bit more sedate in the power deliver if you compare the 0-60MPH of both manual and automatic transmission there is a 2 second advantage to manual.

So there is a clear distinction for buyer by just looking at the stats to decide which variant they want to go for. The sport mode is a option to give more flexibility to the owner if you want the gears to stay available a bit longer than a automatic change.

At the end of the day it also boils down to the owner to take extended test drive of the cars to see if the car meets their demands before committing to the purchase of the car . :Smile:

You could have been better with the diesel automatic if you need that effortless overtaking ability.

7. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

You are of course correct, the stealership I bought it from basically allocated my test run course. I could have asked for it to be extended to a more demanding route but didn't give it a thought at the time. Saying that, I still would have made the purchase as the CR-V is a good overall motor.
    The purpose of this thread was really to gauge other CR-V users opinion on it.
    The diesel automatic didn't come in untill 2010....just a bit out of my price range.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I think there a few 3rd Generation CR-V owners who have auto petrol wait for their responses and experiences, when they surface!!

9. Islander Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I totally agree with your findings of auto versus manual performance, on the 4th Generation too.

I was very pleased that my dealer allowed me to freely test drive both autos and manuals of petrol and diesel models and it was quite apparent that the auto boxes were struggling to give any "get up and go" compared to the manuals, even in so-called sport mode. (I part-exchanged (or rather, swapped!) my year-old ex-company BMW 520d auto saloon for the CR-V (much more dog friendly upon early retirement!!) and it was very difficult to believe that the auto-diesel CR-V had anything like the same sized engine; totally world's apart in performance!).

However, this is by no means a CR-V-knocking post; I love the versatility of my new Honda and am very pleased with the car overall.

In the end I went for the petrol manual, as my mileage on the Isle of Wight is so low I needed to avoid DPF problems (just coming up to 1400 miles since delivery last Christmas!) - I know that the diesel manual would have given significantly more "grunt", especially useful for some of our rough rural hills!

10. Baggytrousers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't find mine sluggish at all in fact I am impressed with the balance between fuel economy and performance. that said with modern multivalve engines the power band is certainly at the higher end of the rev section. If I want a swift and safe overtake manouevre then I come out of the eco mode.

The CR-V is certainly not a sports car and is not meant to be but in my considered opinion it can certainly hold its own amongst similar SUVs.

I'm happy with mine and very pleased that I selected it over other marques, it will certainly move if you use the gearbox/rev range to its design potential.

This is my first Honda and frankly the best all round vehicle I have ever owned.

11. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Baggytrousers,
    You have the manual! T.O. has the auto 2.0. I agree with you. Drove the latest CR-V two weeks ago just like yours in 2.0 M.T. And if you keep her in the right gear things really move.
    But the auto?? Didn't drove it, but it's definitely slower than yours.

12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Out of interest and not totally off topic has anyone got a Accord auto? if so how do you rate it? Reason I am after a 2.4 or possible a 2.0 at a push and hope to test drive s 2.4 exec next week but it is an auto. However spec is massive and has the nice cream leather not black which i much prefer.

Its an older 05 auto not the face lift model.

Shame..

13. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I don't own one, but I drove several times the previous gen Accord 2.4 auto 4D. Perfect! But I can't compare it to a 2.4 MT (that's something I've never driven....).
    It's already a few years ago, but what I clearly remember is the smoothness of the transmission and the grunt this engine still has even with an AT !!

14. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Thanks bud interesting to hear other peoples views. I have nothing to compare to as always shy away from autos in the past. As quite an old car by today standards wondered it it would be a little agricultural ..