General Engine power.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hsyasin, Thursday 23rd May, 2013.

1. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Hammad Bury St. Edmunds
    Hi guys,
    It might probably be just me, but here's the situation.
    I previously had a galant 2.5 V6 auto 1998 with 165k on the clock, as powerful and quick as my friend's 330Ci.
    Just thought to have a look into buying an accord, as I'm quite picking in how the car looks, and i really the accord 2002-2006. So went to a dealer to see this accord of his, 2003 silver i-VTEC SE manual with 94k on the clock, very nice a clean with 17inch alloys. and I was like :Thumbup:
    The dealer was so pushy, that he didn't let me leave without part exchanging.
    Now, its been almost 2weeks with this car, and as soon as i bought it(even though that dealer said its just been serviced in Jan), i started putting shell nitro+, put a can of bg44k, put ngk irridium spark plugs in(the previous plugs were in the worst condition) and changed the engine oil(valvoline 5w-30).
    The problem is, its been like, whenever i put it into first gear and release the clutch, it vibrates a bit like an old man, but not when its cold.
    Also, the engine is a bit noisy like diesel engine when i push it a bit, and when i push it, its a bit flat first then there's a slight burst of power and then it screams like its saying 'aw come on man'. I mean my galant's v6 engine was much much less noisy and comfortable in normal circumstances and whenever i pushed that it, it just roared like a beast (lovely) and pulled and pulled.
    Was just wondering, is it just me not putting foot down a bit more when driving from a stop or is the engine weak or something?
    Also, is there a cheap way of improving accord's performance?

2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Hsyasin,
    ....might be interesting to know what engine you have in your car, no?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    7th Generation 2.0 litre k20a buddy.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Honda engines usually love to be revved.

Hard to say if you have an issue or not. If you think you do, then best to take it back to the dealer.

5. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Just found out this morning that one of my headlight bulbs is gone:Aghast:
    does anyone know which bulb to get, and where can i get it at a reasonable price?

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    H1 halogen they are available anywhere really.

7. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Is that normal beam one?
    I mean the one I'm talking about has a plastic enclosure behind it and a parabolic lens in front

- - - Updated - - -

coz when i put my car details on euro car parts website, the only option it gives me is D2S HID, which it says are around £100 for one bulb :Aghast:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Europarts the champion is giving accurate info for Honda =NOT :Angry:

Your car has a H1 Halogen on the low beam not HID aka D2S. Take the fused bulb check it out.

9. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

k, thanks alot mate, will do that today

10. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

You sir are a star..:GoodJob:
    saved me from having to order d2s ones and then opening the healight bulbs and finding out that its an H1 and then returning the d2s hassle
    :Happy:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  12. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hey all, I was wondering, how much do u guys get out of a 2.4 accord?
    Coz like now I've my 2.0 manual accord for nearly a month and when I filled it up yesterday, I saw it gave me more than 8miles per liter, now it could be coz I've been using shell v-power since i bought it and i also put some bg44k when i bought it. Other than that, I drive quite aggressively, I'm one of those drivers who want to get away from a signal faster than a Bugatti and then when driving in city, i tend to stay within -5/+5 of speed limit and change gears appropriately.
    And this time around since my last fill, i went to Cambridge, almost 30miles each way, and mostly kept it around 70-75mph.
    Also, my daily driving from work to home is around 20-25 miles, which involves almost 10mile motorway stretch.
    Now there are 2things I wanted to know about a 2.0 and 2.4, difference in mileage and difference in performance.
    So, could anyone with 2.4 manual/auto accord share their experiences?

Last edited: Tuesday 4th Jun, 2013
  13. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Not much in my 2.4 auto to be honest but I don't do many miles so I don't worry about it.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I would say the 2.4 is pretty "nippy" where as I would expect the 2.0 to be a little under powered for the Accord. Like all VTEC engines though you need to get into the high revs to get the most out of the engine.

The Accords aren't meant to perform like hot hatches .. they are comfortable cruisers but they are nippy and nimble enough to be fun driving machines though.

An auto version will no doubt be little more sluggish than it's manual equivelant.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    For 2.4 try changing all your gears at 4300 RPM on a manual, use the engine torque to make a quick start, you will see the difference.