Engine & Gearbox Engine Pre-Heater i-DTEC

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Jay2512, Sunday 13th Jan, 2013.

1. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    Guys,

I know its not super cold over here but I have been playing with the idea of fitting a 240V coolant heater to the I-DTEC. Mine takes an century to heat up even at 10+ external temps which I believe is a common thing the I-DTEC engine.

The wife's blue oval is blowing warm air by the time it gets to the bottom of the street (also a diesel).

Anyway looking at fitting the following:

engine pre heater HOT FROG CTyp 80°C the original | eBay

But the question is - before I have to remove all the under tray and have a good route around, does anyone know where the coolant flow line are on this engine that would be best to tap into??

Cheers

Jay

2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    FYI, this is what I installed:
    Engine & Gearbox - DEFA 220V electrical engine block heater
    Mine is only 550W and has no pump. Goes only 30 to 40°C above ambient temp. If the Frog goes to 80°C.... hot.

Edit:

Looks most logic to mount the heater between pump and thermostat. The hose goes from the waterpump left on the engine, to the thermostat right hand on the engine. This hose runs in front of the engine (parallel).
    Or is this a metal hose?

Mikem likes this.
  3. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    Hmmmm, good install on the block heater. I had looked at this but it was more expensive that the heater above by a lot!

Plus on the I-DTEC the block plug is on the back of the engine being a bit of a pain to get to.

Question though, did you loose much coolant when fitting your heater?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Jay on the rad you can attach a pipe off the drain plug..into a clean bucket once you are finished pour it back again.

I would imagine 3.5 drained coolant will be be sufficient for existing bung to be extracted before you can put the heating element.

5. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    Super Job!

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oh just remembered don't take the drain plug out completely when you attach the pipe. use a transparent pipe so you can see the flow and change it accordingly.

7. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Jay,
    Ichiban answered to the coolant-question, but be careful, if you want to install anyhow a block heater like mine, than the coolant in the engine block will not be drained by the radiator plug!
    I only drained by means of the block drain plug and around 2,5 liter came out. I know most of that would have come out also via the radiator plug.
    Price!? My blockheater is cheaper than the price on your link above. It's around 90 euro's. See Ichiban's price indication in my thread on the block heater.
    Anyhow: you have different possibilities. It's on you to make the choice.

8. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Has anyone fitted DEFA 220V electrical engine block heater to their I-DTEC car in the uk ? can someone please do a DIY for us .

I-DSI thank you this will be a lifesaver and get into a warm cars as the I-DTEC does warm that quick.

Ta

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  9. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    .. to come back to this issue once again - Calix (an experienced swedish manufacturer) offers a
    range of electrical preheating systems for the Accord - and in the meantime even a 400 W -
    coolant heater for the I-CTDI´s and I-DTEC´s :Smile::

Overview:
    Search products - Cars - Calix
    Catalogue:
    http://www.calix.se/files/9f89e81de68819de8bffa35a6c9763c5.pdf/2010_EN.pdf
    Engine heater --> I-CTDI:
    http://www.calix.se/files/065bf435ab1d9db1cef44895ba5ad11f.pdf/RE 213.pdf
    Engine heater --> I-DTEC:
    http://www.calix.se/files/621fa0f2ed3f6c30c32b3097c4b6439b.pdf/RE 241.pdf

Last edited: Sunday 28th Dec, 2014
  10. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Great information!
    I had a look at what they have for my 2.0 i-VTEC: looks the same as with Defa, the cable set even looks 100% same....! Only difference seems the heater element. That one mentions 400W, while the Defa should be 550W.
    This night my car is parked outside. Already freezing now -4. Forecast says till minus 10 this night. Engine heater is coupled and timer is set for tomorrow morning :Wink:

11. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    Lucky you !! - I think, I´m going to retrofit soon ... :dribble:At the moment I only have installed
    my low budget indoor solution ( ... 2000 W heater in the footwell ...) :Laughing::

Innenraumheizung.JPG

Last edited: Sunday 28th Dec, 2014
    i-DSI likes this.