Engine & Gearbox Engine rattle-Possible crank pulley??

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by force-v4, Saturday 2nd Feb, 2013.

1. force-v4 New Member Getting Started

Hey guys, new here to the forum and new to Accord ownership! I'd be very grateful for any help on this issue, there's a rattle from the belt side of my 05 Accord 2.2 CDTi exec, 140k. My mechanic seems to think its the crankshaft pulley but wouldn't have seen too many diesel Accords. I was certain it was alternator bearings but from the searches i've conducted both here and elsewhere thats supposed to be more of a whine, this is a very definate rattle getting louder around 1500rpm. Before i splash out €400 euro plus labour on a crank pulley could any lads or ladies here have a different idea? It doesnt sound like a chain as the sound is quite low down and seems to be loudest at the crank. Any help greatly appreciated!! :Wink:

- - - Updated - - -

And sorry guys, oil was changed recently in main dealers and is clean and to the level.

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    i have replaced crank pulleys before so its not unherd of on a high mileage accord. but yes there are known issues elsewhere on the aux belt side. take your pick from the alternator bearings, air con compressor, waterpump, timing chain. if you trust the garage i would say go ahead with changing the crank pulley, they should have removed the aux belt and ran the engine. if it is the crank pulley the noise will still be there hense diagnosing the faulty pulley. let us know how you get on.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Force-V4 how many miles has your car covered?

4. force-v4 New Member Getting Started

Hey guys, she's covered 144k miles. We're almost certain its not the timing chain, its just a higher pitched "dingey" rattle that seems like the crank pulley. And we've removed the aux belt and ran the engine but the noise is still there which rules out the alternator bearings.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    any update buddy what happened?