Engine & Gearbox engine smoke

Discussion in '1st Generation (1995-2001)' started by the rev, Friday 5th Feb, 2016.

1. the rev Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom ron telford
    ok first time I've noticed it is today, but while ticking over if I blip the throttle it gives a puff of smoke, any ideas apart from old age and 183k miles. I was thinking of breather blockage to check first maybe?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Is this a Diesel ? And where does the smoke come from, engine bay ? exhaust ? etc

hondream likes this.
  3. the rev Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi sorry its a petrol and the smoke is out the exhaust, deffinatly burnt oil smoke .

4. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Knackered I'm sorry to say. Try topping up with 10/40 rather than the slippery stuff. Mine does max to min on dipstick in 1000k slowly failing I guess. I've put cardboard underneath, doesn't leak a drop of oil, just burns it.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

At 183K miles could be slightly worn piston rings. You'd need to get a leak down test done to confirm this.

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Are the valve guides known to wear on these engines? Normally this will result in smoke being generated when the throttle is operated after a period of deacceleration, such as after going downhill.

7. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Don't think their that known for valve guides but after that starship mileage personally I'd fear the worst. He doesn't say if he's noticed a drop in oil level. I know these engines are capable of great mileage but unless he's owned it from new or got FSH there's no way of telling if its been well maintained.
    Guess as stated a compression test is cheapest first step.

8. the rev Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

been owned by a horsey woman in the past, so judging from the rest of the car servicing wasn't her highest priority lol. anyone ever used this "stop smoke" stuff they sell?

9. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Mmm I wouldn't recommend it. Have you just bought it ? May have been standing a while , someone could have put a little diesel in it by mistake, horsey people means could have been towing ?
    I assume you want to find out what's wrong for as little dosh as possible.
    Personally I'd change oil for a cheap 10/40 , oil/air filter, fill to max and see if or how fast the level drops, check plugs cos on mine some dipstick had put the wrong size plug only in one bore !
    Finally if still smokes would check cylinder compression as said. If bad repair engine ( ouch ) or use till MOT s due or you get your collar felt.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Forgot to say you could fill with good gas, adding a injector cleaner, but as you say if its blue smoke its burning oil, best of luck, let us know how you get on.

10. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    I no you said its oil burning but what colour is the smoke ?
    Also are you using much oil

11. the rev Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

not using lots and its white/blue smoke

12. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Anything white has me worried as leans towards head gasket, check for white crap on inside of oil filler cap and water reseviour. Burning oil will be blue smoke , white smoke is normal in cold weather but if bad you'd know as water level drops quite fast.
    Happened on my old rover sd1 but still got a few thousand miles out of it before it got too bad.

13. the rev Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

oh well I will see what happens lol, I had a v8 sd1 as well, and the head gasket went on one of the banks on that to... sigh

14. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Lucky man mine was only a 2.6 but in 5th gear on the m25 before speed cameras once wound up was faster than the v8 ( ish ) auto . It is still one of the best cars I've ever owned, costing a princely £550 when only five years old. I mini cabbed it to over 250k with only service costs etc. *** Removed by Nels as this contravenes Our Community Rules (4.3)*** I seriously regret ever selling it and will one day get another but will add a small block v8 for pure fun.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Or a big block if i could ever afford it lol. Everyone still laughs at them but look in classic adds. A vitesse is now cheap at £10 k - like everything else we ever made a brilliant car but with dreadful build quality lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 26th Feb, 2016
  15. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom david mee mansfield notts
    i may get shot down i would be thinking valve guides i know it,s not a motor bike engine but it,s a honda i,v built loads of honda motor cycle engines never had to do a crank only had to rebore 1 but valve guides are rubbish (I am now running for cover)

16. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    You may be right but these engines are not known for valve guide trouble, bit of valve recession yes after mega miles, we don't know of course how his car was looked after.

17. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

To quote my manager at work pull it bin it fit a good used one job done now I really am running for cover lol

18. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Yeah but there worth f-a so not really worth repairing.

19. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

stu it was you bought the sd1 was it.i worked at a rover dealers at thw time they were launched. our arrived on friday ready for the sunday launch it had a cover on it on the transporter to hide it from the public. head sales person (richard head) just pulled the cover off the screen and drove it in to the workshop straight down the pit but no one found it funny... not

hondream, legend-ary and stuscrv like this.
  20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Lol