Engine & Gearbox Engine swap F18B2

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Knut, Monday 27th Oct, 2014.

1. Knut Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Norway
    I'm having my old F18B2 engine swapped for a newer, lower milage engine - also a F18B2. Only problem is... the engine I can get hold of is made for an Automatic transmission - I have a standard manual on my car, and I'm keeping it a manual :Smile:
    Is it possible to do this swap? If so, do I need anything special in terms of transmission housing/brackets and so forth?

Thanks!

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I stand to be corrected but as far as I'm aware engines aren't made for a specific transmission. You should be able to bolt on either the manual transmission or auto transmission to the same engine. If there were difference you would think they would have different engines codes for each.

You will of course need your flywheel from your old engine.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@SpeedyGee is correct, They will not make different engines for different gearboxes. You will have to remove the Torque converter from the old engine and the flange that it connects to, and in place of this fit the flywheel, then the engine should be ready to accept a manual gearbox. I do not know if the engine or gearbox has any dowel pins (locating lugs) in different places and you may need to check this. I presume that the gearbox swap will take place out of the car?

Also you might as well change the clutch while all of this is apart, unless the clutch on your old engine is fairly new.

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. Knut Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Norway
    Thanks to both of you! Yes, makes sense that the engine has the same build-up wether it is coupled to a manual or automatic transmission. My mechanic starts to work on the car tomorrow... too big a task for me to do alone. Thanks again for the input :Smile:

Now all I need to get a hold of is a new clutch :Wink: