General Engine Upgrade, ECU Issues (P28 Immobiliser)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nick-b, Wednesday 18th Feb, 2015.

1. nick-b Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Nick oxford
    Good morning all, I have a bit of a problem that was caused by a silly mistake on my part.

I bought a £500 bargain, it was a Civic with a fully running B18C4 LSD gearbox and everything needed to drop the engine straight into my Civic, so I stripped it down, dropped in the new engine, gearbox, mounts, drive-shafts, loom and ECU without any issues and disposed of the carcass that was the donor.

Can anyone guess what I forgot to remove from the donor before disposing of it? Didn't dawn on us until we have got rid of the donor and finally got round to starting the car.

We forgot to remove the ignition barrel, transponder and keys. This sadly means that the ECU immobiliser won't let us start the engine.

It's a P28 ECU, so does anyone know if i can get the ECU reprogrammed without the immobiliser??

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I doubt you will be able to circumvent the programming without the immobiliser , can't you call the scrap yard to see if the car not been fed to the crusher and get the bits off it.

3. nick-b Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

already did that this morning, sadly it is now a cube in a corner somewhere.

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Ok this is probably a stupid question, and Nick will prolly slap me back at the office, but can't you use the immobiliser, transponder, etc PLUS ECU from your existing Civic with the donor engine (with a possible reprogramme of the ECU) ?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    damn they were eager won't they..

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I don't know how the ECU/Immobiliser stuff works on the B series.

On the K series if you change the ECU you have recode it to the immobiliser.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    is the ECU the same type between the two cars? you could ask a friendly local Honda dealer to try and code the ECU to the current immob? you need to use a HDS and access to the Honda extranet in order to find the PCM code of the immob. maybe worth a try?

8. nick-b Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

its a b18 engine dropped into an EK3 (D15 engine) so totally different ECU's....... I'm gonna have a look at it this weekend and try to identify the problem.
    I keep reading that the P28 ECU'2 don't have immobilisers? Also some people say that i could transfer the immobiliser chip from my old ECU to the new ECU?

Guess it's just another learning curve....

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Only European P28s have immobiliser chips IIRC, the yank versions do not. You can either grab a P28 without one (and if it's chipped/mapped, just port that across), or desolder the immobiliser and replace it with a Mobilizer :Smile:

nick-b likes this.
  10. nick-b Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i like the look of the doctronic idea? might have to get one of them

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It's a pretty safe bet to be honest, least mucking around.

doctronic-mobilizer-installation-instructions-odb.

Attached Files:

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Could you take the ignition barrel out etc of another same type Civic about to be scrapped and have that recoded?

13. nick-b Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

would possibly work out more expensive and time consuming than removing the immobilizer chip from my P28 ECU and fitting this mobilizer chip.

Was absolutely kicking myself when i found out i had made a cock up lol

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It happens us to the best of us mate, you'll have an amazing car in the end. The B18C4 is a phenomenal engine, and the EK is a great chassis for handling.

15. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Isn't this where I say 'pity about the $%$%£ at the wheel' ?

No I WILL resist. Mommy said that if I can't say something nice, then I should rather say nothing at all.

:Grin:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  16. nick-b Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well I checked the ECU and it doesn't seem to have an immo chip? Looks like it is a 92-95 P28 ECU, so I guess I will be checking the car over for any silly mistakes I may have done.
    Considering this is the first time I have done something like this, I can honestly say that I'm not doing too badly?

Just gives me chance to work on my Prelude while the Civic takes a rest lol

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Get your earths checked, I and @SpeedyGee had a bit of a facepalm moment with my '07 at 2am after refitting my engine :Laughing:

Where is this Prelude you speak of, and why's it not in the Club Garage? :Tongue:

18. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Load the lude already @nick-b :Smile:

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I read that one character out, it had slightly different connotations.

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :Rolf: