Introductions Entered the Honda world with an FR-V

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Effarevee, Tuesday 3rd Feb, 2015.

1. Effarevee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ryan wallasey
    Hi all,
    I've recently bought an 05 Honda FR-V sport 2.0 i-VTEC
    This was due to getting a surprise 2 for 1 deal on our 3rd visit to the baby shop.
    I'm an auto electrician in a factory making well known "british" 4x4s
    I was trained from scratch in house so my knowledge is pretty specific to a small collection of cars in
    unused condition.
    I've got some issues with my new motor which i'll try to address elsewhere in the forum.

Cheers, ryan

moob and dbrooks65 like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to Honda Karma and congrats on all fronts :Grin:

Pop your car in the Club Garage Ryan, she'll appear on every post you make then, this aids us in helping you.

What sort of problems are you facing ?

I like the username by the way :Grin:

Last edited: Wednesday 4th Feb, 2015
  3. Effarevee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Speedy,
    My main problem is a rusty oil pan, it's pretty bad there seems to be a patch where oil is seeping through.
    Its definitely beyond repair.
    I'd like to know if anyone knows of a decent source for a replacement, £186 from Honda seems steep but i've yet to find a spurious supplier.
    Secondly is it possible to remove said pan without lifting the engine? To me it seems possible but wouldn't want to get caught out.

PS, i'm new to this whole forum thing, if any of this should be posted elsewhere please advise

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Although it doesn't list it, I think this may fit

I'm not categorically sure if you can drop the sump on the FR-V. For most K series Hondas though, with some lifting of the engine the sump does come out.

5. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Hi Ryan
    A friend of mine got a similar surprise. So with a 2 year old and newborn twins he decided on an FR-V too. Great choice.

6. Effarevee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, apart from the above issue I'm made up with it. We didn't fancy the typical 7seater set up as we need to fit the rather large double pram in somewhere.
    The only other option would have been a Multipla :shock:

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club @Effarevee, the sump pan is interchangable between many K-Series engines, but I'm not well versed on the K20A9 at all. Your best bet to stave off the dealership costs is a breaker, but unless you find one with a duff engine, you'll struggle to persuade them to part with it.

We have one in the family, I've been pushing for an FR-V as it's replacement for a long time.

8. Effarevee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks @SpeedyGee and @DeviateDefiant I'm fairly confident I can avoid the stealership price now which is a relief,
    I was hoping they,d be interchangeable but was worried it might be different to fit some quirk of the body or subframe.
    I'll have a good look tomorrow but the eBay item seems to match.

Glad I joined! It's potentially already saved me £140

9. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Used to have an FR-V - brilliant design, we got rid purely for fuel efficiency reasons.

10. Effarevee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It is a thirsty one, I'm selling a 1.4 diesel ecodynamics KIA Venga to make way for it, gone from average of 60-65mpg
    To 25-30mpg OUCH.
    I'll be finance free though once sold, which makes up for it. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself on frequent trips to petrol station.

moob likes this.
  11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    There's always going the LPG route, I'm told it's as little as 35p a litre at the moment :Smile:

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

What MPG are you getting from the 2.0 engine Ryan ?

13. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK @Effarevee :welcome:

Looking forward to seeing your FR-V and hearing more about it.

14. Effarevee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

On the long motorway drive home from buying it I got 32 or 33MPG but made no effort to conserve fuel.
    As a run around at home for school run and shops etc. it's averaging on 28MPG.

I'm hoping these will improve a little when I resolve oil pan and finish the service and address another issue with a tyre/wheel that's causing a bit of pull to one side.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

To be honest that's not actually bad given the size of car we are talking. It's much bigger than a Kia Venga :Smile:
    I recon they may even be better than a 1.8 litre engined FR-V as a smaller engine would have to work harder to lug the big FR-V around.

I don't know what miles you do in a year but if the mileage usage warranted and you LPG'd your FR-V it would return the cost equivalent of between 55MPG to 60MPG. You'd also be needing to keep the car some time in order recoup the cost of the LPG installation and then start reaping the benefits.

16. Effarevee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What sort of cost are we talking? DIY? And fully installed?
    To be honest I don't think it would be worth it, I can't see the mileage being enough to justify it but I've always been curious.
    I use a 1.0l picanto as my daily commuter (just coincidence I don't have a KIA fetish!) but have ideas of buying something a bit more interesting and converting it for economy's sake.

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

DIY about around £650, full certified installed around £900.

You may find some cheaper Eastern European installation places will do you a full install for about £600, I strongly reommend everyone to avoid these places.
    Have a look of the botch job examples in this I posted up in this thread Standalone Projects - Accord Tourer 2.4 LPG conversion by Speedy

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

20. Effarevee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, I bought one from the ebay link you posted, I hoped it would arrive before this weekend but no such look.
    I was trying to find a gasket but a local motor factor told me there isn't one and I should use RTV does this sound right?
    I can check when I remove the old one.
    Hopefully I'll get it done during the week I'll post some pictures of the job.