General EPrance issue/discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RogerH69, Saturday 22nd Nov, 2014.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    @Nighthawk - the only issue I have is that as mine stops recording after about 10 seconds when stationary. There were a couple of incidents I would have liked to get on camera, but as I was stationary, it wasn;t recording.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Thats a bit odd mate, not sure why its doing that. Havent experienced that myself.

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

is yours set on motion detect (i.e. it turns on and starts recording automatically) ?

4. Nighthawk Guest

no mate, I've got my wired in so it turns on with the car and turns off 10 seconds after the ignition is turned off again (turns off after 10 secs when its main power supply is interuppted)

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Yeah mine also turns on and off with ignition (10 secs after ignotion off), but without motion detect enabled, it does not start recording automatically.

6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@Nighthawk - could you possibly check for me if 'Motion Detect' is on or Off on your mini 0803? Also, when you turn on your car, does the camera turn on and start recording automatically ?

7. Nighthawk Guest

Morning mate - motion detect is off. When I turn the car on, it starts recording straight away. I wired mine into the 12v aux socket through an led cut off switch I installed so as soon as ignition is turned to "aux", it powers the camera up.

You tried doing a factory reset?

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks. I don;t think mine works that way, though to be honest, it could be that every time I tested it with Motion Detect off, it was not connected to power when I turned it on. Maybe it has a built in sensor that detects power and starts recording when it has power and is turned on (I can;t test by connecting to PC and then turning on as it goes into USB host mode). I'll test it in my car with motion detect turned off.

Then again maybe it's the mini 0803 firmware that works a little differently to that on the 0801. I've gone and ordered an 0803 (found a GPS logger WITH 8GB internal for £65 which is cheaper than usual) anyway. I'll put the 0803 in the front, and the 0801 in the back (still would be handy if the camera in rear did not stop recording when I stopped moving).
    - - - Updated - - -
    I posted the question about Motion Detect on some forums, and indications from manufacturer are that Motion Detect on the 0801 "doesn't work well" - Continue Recording at Traffic Lights | DashCamTalk. It also seems that with Motion Detect off, the camera will still start recording automatically when ignition turns on - I will confirm this later.

9. Nighthawk Guest

So do you keep the motion detect turned on or off on your 0801?

If you plug the camera into your computer using the mounting plate attached to it, it won't go into USB mode, it will start as normal. I think the mounting plate boosts the 5.5v power a bit.

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

At the moment, I have Motion Detect turned ON - hence it stops recording when stopped for more than 10 seconds.

I will test the 0801 with the motion detect off, to see if the camera starts recording automatically when ignition is turned on still.

Motion detect (I think) is mainly for the case where you have power connected to camera 100% of time (even with car off) so that it can record activity around the car when parked.

11. Nighthawk Guest

The camera has a 15 minute lifespan on its battery so motion detect will start to record from that if needs be. I don't use motion detect as I have no need for it. don't know if you have seen it, but I have a DIY showing my voltage checks.

As we have completely hi jacked this thread,:Whistle: I will move our bit over to keep this thread on track.
    - - - Updated - - -
    @RogerH69 - here ya go mate

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Yeah I saw your thread (that's the reason I originally got my mini 0801)

13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I put the Mini 0801 back in my car with the Motion Detect set to OFF, and when I turn on ignition, the 0801 turns on and starts recording. Haven't checked video yet to see if it stops at traffic lights, but will check that t9morrow.

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I would keep motion detect off. If stopped at lights and someone hits you from behind (and claims with their witness that you backed into them) or someone in front reverses quickly into you, it won't have enough time to start recording.

Best option is power magic pro and if you do a lot of short journeys then a battery charger to keep the battery at peak performance.

15. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@ArcticFire - the point is that I want it to keep recording when stopped, not a power issue. The camera is powered permanently (when ignition is on) by the battery.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I also confirmed that with Motion Detect set to OFF, it no longer stops recording when stationary, and only stops recording when I turn off the car :OTT:

Nels likes this.
  16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That's why I said turn the motion detect off? I suggested the power magic as it allows you to keep running all the time without risking a flat battery. Handy in case you are hit whilst parked up.

17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Motion detect on these cameras are pretty bad hence why I leave mine on 24/7 @RogerH69.

Check out my DIY, I updated it with videos on how well the motion detection work whilst parked up.

But with 24/7 rec, you can get around 6hrs from a 32 gig card so if somebody did hit the car, you have to hope that the g-sensor gets triggered.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    6 hours, what camera do you have as I can get over 8 hours with 1080p or just over 11 hours with 720p and that's with a decent bitrate? Could be the compression used perhaps?

19. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

0801 - I could be mistaken, I haven't checked for a while. Would you say 720p is worth recording with?

20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Same camera as me lol I only use 720p as there's little difference I've found and the extra recording time is more valuable for me. The only thing I find annoying with this camera is the damn i/o storage error that occasionally pops up.