Electrical & Lights Erratic Computer Errors

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by bijomaru, Friday 21st Jun, 2013.

1. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    I have a very strange happening to my car recently. It's to do with 3 errors appearing and then disappearing randomly while I drive. A bit of a background:

Last year got a Check System error - diagnosed as P2004 by CJ, reset and did not come up again

Later that year got VSA and ABS error - Diagnosed as left rear ABS sensor (but was also showing all sensors as faulty for a while), reset but kept coming back, was driving with it as I couldn't find the sensor at a price I am willing to pay in the UK

We did some service last weekend, including oils, cleaning ABS plug, all errors gone. Drove all weekend with no errors

until ...

This Monday, driving to Glasgow, 20 miles in, Check System comes on, 10 miles later ABS and VSA come on.
    After another 50 miles I pulled over deciding not to take any chances and called AA. Guy came over, read P2004, reset No errors on dash.
    Drove to Glasgow another 300 miles with no further errors

Tuesday, took 2 turns in Glasgow, Check system comes up, few miles later VSA and ABS. Kept driving until I got home

Wednesday, got in the car, all 3 errors displayed, few miles later realised all errors are gone. Later in the evening, drove 20 miles with no errors, just before I got home, all 3 errors appear.

Currently, Check System (P2004 I presume) is not showing, but VSA and ABS lights are on.

So, the errors come and go as they're pleased. Not sure P2004 can just disappear even if the valve got unstuck. The ABS works fine when no warning lights are off. Cable is not worn out.

Can it be a loose connection to the computer (error module - if such thing exists)? Or anything else? Got MOT to do before end of July, and a 2000 mile return trip to do this summer, so I'd love to get rid of the errors.

Anyone seen anything like it before? Any suggestions please? I am so confused ... and so is my car ...

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

How old is your battery?

3. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Brand new fitted last summer, also had alternator changed back then. All Honda parts.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rob apart from the P2004 which needs looking into I reckon your car wiring\ earthing is all messed up after the argument you and the wall had at a petrol station.
    I don't know if the body shop have painted over a critical body earth points causing these intermittent issues. I know when I tried to remove a DTC code on your car it crashed my HDS it happened twice which leads me to believe there is a electrical fault.

Have a look at this Multiple Electrical Problems After Body, Engine, or Gearbox\Transmision Work

5. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Could P2004 just reset itself? Can that be caused by earthing problem as well? I guess potentially ...

I always had a Check System coming up for split second when starting car ... quite possibly after the 'argument' ... Maybe it's just gone worse now and it comes up for longer rather than just flashing up.

And the other thing is that few times these were connected, i.e. first Check System then ABS/VSA, but it could have just been a coincidence. I guess I need to look at the wirings one weekend.Out of interest though, are these errors generated by ECU? Saw a cheap one going on ebay earlier today. Could be worth a shot ... no?

6. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Would a duff / battery cause this? only ask as I had the same lights come on so switched if engine then re started and all ok.. Next day battery was dead car wouldn't start. Got new one from HH and all seems fine now.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    P2004 is IMRC valve but in your case it reoccurs all the time ..rather going in heavy changing ECU etc just change the IMRC ..then take stock of the situation http://hondakarma.com/threads/120/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cool, so battery prob just a coincidence, I think it is prob the original so lasted well..
    Will have a look find the IMRC, do you have a diagram of its location? need the old girl running well now she is going :Smile:

9. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Came up few times but haven't seen it since Wed. probably won't see it now for another 6 months :Tongue:

They're not the cheapest at £125. Saw ECU for £30 today :Smile: Will look around and see if I can get that sorted. Then the ABS sensor, and hopefully all will go away. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Just had a look where is this valve.

E__3200.

During oil filter change we've knocked the part marked with 8 ... it just sits on top, so we've put it back on. Maybe that has startet causing it again since it happened first time in ages right after that day ...

Primarycare likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup that the one and you have just answered your question if you break the small tube\legs that is it they are ruined. That is what is causing your issue.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Primarycare likes this.
  12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Had a quick search and found this site. Honda VLV ASSY,FREQ S0L - 36190RBDE01

Says the replacement is discontinued and to order this part number - 36190-RBD-E02

Looked on Lings and they state number 9 on your diagram (cheers bud) as the valve, I will have mine off tomorrow and see if it looks buggered / blocked.

CJ nice one for the reminders, I won't get the special Top Gear Tool out..

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The part numbers are below you have to order the correct part for your diesel accord

Part number for the affected vehicles

For all prefacelift 04-05 Accord the part number is 36190-RBD-E02
    For all facelift 06-08 Accord and Civic the part number is 36190-RSR-E01
    For diesel CR-V the part number is 36190-R06-E01

14. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

CJ your a true gent :Smile:

Thanks for the info..

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am not mean to diesel owners am I :Innocent: