Body, Paint & Styling ES GT Tourer Tailgate not opening fully

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by narcosis, Saturday 24th Jan, 2015.

1. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

My Tourer tailgate is struggling to open fully (usually stops at head height) and I am not sure if the issue is with the hinges or struts. The hinges are hidden under trim and to be honest I suspect its more likely the struts. When you help the tailgate the rest of the way it happily stays in place.

Is this a common issue and is it just a case of replacing the struts? If so how much are they likely to be?

Thanks.

Neil

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks speedy but that was an electrical issue whilst mine is mechanical, no self opening mechanism or electric assist on the ES GT tourer.

I will have a more in depth search but don't recall anything on my issue in the 8th Generation part if the forum. :Smile:

Cheers

4. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Just the struts m8

5. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any idea on replacement cost?

What sort of life is expected from them?

Mine is 2009 model.

6. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anyone?

7. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Just Google m8 you don't need OEM as for life not sure

8. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It would seem about £20-30 from first review. I will ring Honda tomorrow for a comparison.

9. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

£75 from Honda with a back order issue until April 15, I think I will look for an alternative....

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

11. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Speedy, that is the link I used last night. I plan to look at part numbers tonight for a final check. £75 for a single strut is ridiculous noting the likely life span :Smile: When I check I will post up the details for the forum records.

cheers

Neil
    - - - Updated - - -
    Interestingly this is not the first time I have found something non-economical from Honda :Smile: I don't have a spare wheel on my model as it came with the foam and compressor option, guess how much the simple electric compressor is (mine stopped working).......................~£120, a quick trip to halfords solved that!

12. Kieren Shepherd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kieren
    Slightly off topic, but would these work on the 08 Saloon?
    Would be great if the boot would actually open itself!

Cheers

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

There was discussion on here a while back about fabricating something with struts to do this.

@Nighthawk I think you had some input into that. Can you remember which thread that was in ?

14. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm looking forward to that and I know @tee is as well :Grin:

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I am looking forward to it too - if I ever get round to ordering the bits

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I bought the replacement struts from SGS Engineering and I sent them back! The replacements were not fit for purpose adding significant stiction to the boot opening and they stalled at the half way point. I cleaned the old ones and the problem has mostly gone away.

I would still regret having to buy replacement struts from Honda @ £75 each, thats just daylight robbery.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I bought the replacement struts from SGS Engineering and I sent them back! The replacements were not fit for purpose adding significant stiction to the boot opening and they stalled at the half way point. I cleaned the old ones and the problem has mostly gone away.

I would still regret having to buy replacement struts from Honda @ £75 each, thats just daylight robbery.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

How about a pair of second hand ones ?