General Ethanol

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobsyUK, Saturday 3rd Sep, 2016.

1. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    What's the law/ rules on mixing ethanol With petrol and using it to drive?

I know if there's too much ethanol it will melt the fuel lines but what about a 5% mix?

Does anyone here use ethanol with their petrol?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What aim are you trying to achieve by adding Ethanol ?

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's correct.

5. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Not sure about the UK but here its government mandated 5% ethanol in the petrol and some places up to 10%. It loves to collect water and drop it out in the bottom of the tank when it freezes. One of the concerns I have given the length of time that it sits in my tank with the lpg conversion. It is meant to be quite bad on seals and other bits of the fuel system.

Edit: The other guys above me beat me to it !

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I run on BP Ultimate because there's no ethanol in it.

Certainly wouldn't be adding any to my fuel. :notforme:

1066Boy and Harvey like this.
  7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    This is really worrying, in 3 years time all cars pre 2002 and possibly 2009 might be meeting their death because of the increase in ethanol.

I also use BP Ultimate to avoid the ethanol, I hope they don't start adding to that too.

8. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Marlène Maasgouw
    To fill the tank with BP Ultimate is a 50 kilometers drive for me, that's no option! But since last May i fill with Shell V-Power 98. In Belgium, 5 minutes from home. Although not in all countries, V-Power is still ethanol free in the BeNeLux and Germany.

Result: a smoother drive, but that can also be the engine oil+filter change in April or a combination with that; better MPG or for us Dutch from 6,1/100Km to 5,5/100Km (mostly town). :Smile:

Also nice is that the V-Power in Belgium is at least € 0,20/Ltr cheaper than the cheapest euro95 (always with ethanol) in the Netherlands. :Wink:

Although i understand things have to change in order to save our planet, i don't understand the use of ethanol — when it damages parts of the engine/fuel system in the long (or short) run which we have to replace, how does that benefits our environment?

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If I couldn't get BPU, VPN would be my next choice.

As for why petrol has ethanol and diesel has other oils added, I believe it is to comply with EU regulations for fuel. There is a target for a specific percentage of bio-fuel and adding ethanol to petrol is the way it is achieved.

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    In the article Zebstar linked, it mentions ethanol is added to reduce greenhouse gases, but it decreases MPG, so you end up burning more fuel, kind of self defeating isn't it?

jazzway and FirstHonda like this.
  11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    No. The ethanol content in the petrol is bioethanol from corn and sugar cane, so the CO2 emissions are completely offset by the carbon uptake when that crop grew, so counts as zero emission. Same as the biodiesel content in DERV fuel.

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    No I mean they add ethanol to petrol to reduce its green house emissions, but the addition of the ethanol means cars achieve less MPG, claimed 3-4mpg and more, so you end up burning more fuel.

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    There is still a net carbon emission reduction.

14. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Ethanol is not a great substitute for petrol or other fossil fuels. When you look at the production of corn (fertilizer, machinery, and transport) along with the fuel used to produce and distill the alcohol the net effect is very slight even when burning pure ethanol, this is especially compounded when only a small percentage is added to petrol. You add in the effects on the fuel system and the potential cost in carbon of producing replacement parts the potential is there for a carbon gain rather than reduction.

Personally it seems to me to be a way of subsidizing farming and not a practical way of reducing co2 emissions. You would be far better off in terms of co2 by pushing lpg and cng IF you can assure that the gas does not escape during production, transfer, transport storage etc. as they are a far more potent green house gas.
    greenhouse20gas20table.

15. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ethanol is not an energy rich fuel in comparison to petrol which is so energy rich/ dense that it is efficiant. Might Car Mods did a piece or rather several conversion of cars to run on E85 fuel, which while producing lots of power and boost the fuel economy was terrible as they where burning almost twice as much fuel to get the same power as that of petrol. I am not a converter to ethanol either as I know what damage it does to rubber conponants in fuel systems, especially after watching videos on youtube from America where ethanol is added to almost all fuels as a standard practice. And a place where the lowest octane rating I have seen for petrol is 86 which is classed as regular, mid grade at around 89/90 and premium at 93! American premium fuel is worse than European standard minimm 95

16. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    I assumed ethanol would increase BHP, Burn cleaner and be cheaper then petrol.
    I knew it would ruin the pipes etc if used to undiluted (with petrol) but it looks like I was mis informed.

17. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    exec likes this.
  18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Really not surprised, I find most of these 'green' initiatives BS and a hoodwink, seen it firsthand, and all they do is serve up riches for small group of people.

Harvey likes this.