Tools Euro R tensioner

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by tpog60, Sunday 23rd Aug, 2015.

1. tpog60 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Plymouth
    hello,

My euro r started wining on the way home from the hospital last night. I had a listen and recon it is the tensioners / pullys.

Best place to get them?

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'd always start with HH.

3. tpog60 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Plymouth
    Good shout. I forgot about them. I got my intake from them.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Don't forget to mention HK discounted price:money:

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What kind of whine is it ? Does it change turning the steering wheel ?

Last edited: Sunday 23rd Aug, 2015
  6. tpog60 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Plymouth
    Didn't check steering wheel. It goes when you drive just at idle you can hear it.

7. tpog60 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Plymouth
    Just gone to start the car and no battery power so guess the whine was the alternator.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

@DeviateDefiant sound familiar?

@tpog60 You still want to check the tensioner when you have the belt off. A failed tensioner may have caused stress one the alternator.

9. tpog60 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Plymouth
    I will be nipping down to the alternator shop in the morning. Is the alternator used in any other model as I know when I ask for a Euro r they will look at me with blank faces.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That sounds like a dead alternator to me, I've had it on mine - twice. Incidentally it was down to the auto-tensioner not doing it's job properly and putting undue strain on the alternator. Although I've now replaced the tensioner and sourced another new alternator, my power steering pump took a beating too and still produces some funny sounds, it will need replacing too at some point.

Check the wear indicator on the auto-tensioner, the marker should be pointing between the raised and indented points both when the car is off, and running. I found that mine was wobbling about when the engine was running.

86059_k24a3-k20-k24-k-series-auto-tensioner-wear-indicator.

Hopefully that's fine, and it's just an aging alternator. The alternator is the same on the Euro-R as the UKDM Accord, as the part number (31100-RAA-A03) was superseeded by the CL9's (31100-RAA-A05). Buying from a dealer you're looking at £300-400. They're supplied by Denso, and their part number is DAN983. You'll find them an awful lot cheaper outside of the dealer supply chain, I pulled off a minor miracle and secured one for £69 from Amazon, they're currently £206.50 there.

I've had a little look about, the cheapest I can find currently is £165 from Euro Car Parts: Denso Honda | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

You can of course get cheap aftermarket alternators, they generally do have anything near the lifespan of genuine Densos:

11. tpog60 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Plymouth
    Thanks for that. Very very helpful. Is it the same for the tensioner to? Would you say get that from main dealer or do they do an upgrade one somewhere?

12. tpog60 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Plymouth
    I have got one from motor parts for £145.00 but is new not refurbed. Euros said it would be 50/50 new or refurbed.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

The tensioner is pretty much a Honda only part as far as I'm aware, it's something I'd only ever go genuine for anyway. Have you checked yours to see how it is?

I had the mistake the first time of replacing the alternator and not looking any further to find the auto-tensioner issue which was the cause.

14. tpog60 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Plymouth
    image.
    - - - Updated - - -
    That's what mine looks like

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That looks fine to be honest, did you look with the engine running?

16. tpog60 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Plymouth
    Got no power still. It has been hammering down all day. I will fit the alternator tomorrow and see what it looks like when running.

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

18. tpog60 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Plymouth
    That's a nice write up. Thanks for your help, I will get it on tomorrow and hopefully all good.

19. tpog60 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Plymouth
    Just changed the alternator, the bottom bolts are a pain as Honda thought it a good idea to put the A/C pipes in front of them. But all working fine now, no whinging noise and the tensioner doesn't move when the engine is running.

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good job :Thumbup:

Always pleasing to get your ride back to full health.
    - - - Updated - - -
    @tpog60, come on man grab yourself an avatar !