Insurance European cover

Discussion in 'Insurance & Breakdown Cover' started by NottsBiker, Wednesday 3rd Jun, 2015.

1. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Hi All,

We are off to sunny Brittany in July for two weeks with the accord, my parents and our two dogs. To cover all eventualities I'd like to take out some breakdown cover but am stuck on who to go with.

So far the RAC come out with the best reviews but only cover you in Europe not the UK as well for the remainder of the year even on an annual policy. Green flag however do a euro plus policy that covers UK and European holidays but have so so reviews.

Any recommendations and general advice greatfully received.

Many thanks Ben

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Anyone offer Ben some advise?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    We must have some regular travellers across Europe.

@AccordCU2 any advice ?

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    My mother has all of her and her partners cars insured by the ADAC for European cover, that includes the UK. Worked out way cheaper than using a UK provider, however I don't know if you can deal with them in English or not.

5. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Are they german? I think I've seen their name floating around on other Internet reviews / forums.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Aye, they've been really good when she's used them over here for breakdown services too. The only thing is, she always calls their German call-centres (native speaker), so I don't know what services they provide in English.

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've not taken European cover since i bought my petrol Accord but i used to have RAC before.
    Thankfully i never had to use it myself but work colleague used it few times and they have been fantastic.Paid for his flights tickets to get back home when he crashed his car etc.

For peace of mind i would take RAC ,they won't let you down in case you need them.
    Sorry i can't offer better advice but even though i had European covers before i never had to use them.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That's actually amazing of the RAC, making me consider them myself for European adventures :Laughing:

9. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Many thanks for your input. I am leaning towards the RAC but will check out ADAC

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I worked for the RAC for a good decade and (at least in those days) I know they would work their balls off to maintain high customer service.

These days after having changed ownership and what with them using an automated dispatching system I'm not sure if they have maintained the same level of customer service or not.

The couple of times that I've called them out recently (both tyre punctures) the service was, errr ... acceptable.

11. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Luckily for me i never (touch wood) had to use any of them RAC,AA etc but would go with RAC just for feedback from my colleagues.
    ADAC might be a good shout if you can get it.

I am going to Europe soon and thinking of getting a cover because my car is 6 years old now.Drove my car on holidays for last three years without cover but might get it this year.

Let us know how you get on with ADAC if you make any enquiries.

12. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    I went with the RAC in the end because the sign up was easy and I got cover for £112 which was ok.

ADAC have good reviews but signing up from the UK was awkward.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  13. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    If you go for Rac (as I have in the past), don't forget Quidco, if you have it. It took few weeks but had £22.78 paid back into my account.

Date:18th December 2014 13:35:13
    Retailer:RAC European Breakdown Cover
    Purchase amount:£91.10
    Cashback amount:£22.78