General Ever wondered what your suspension does while driving?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harvey, Tuesday 13th Oct, 2015.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have always wandered what suspension looked like when driving, Chrisfix of Youtube fame did a video on the differenence between old worn out shocks and new shocks on his Mazda based Ford truck.
    Since I recently got a GoPro camera I figured, heck why not see what an Accord's suspension looks like while driving around town.
    All the driving was between 20 and 30mph. And I was suprised just how much it moves and how little its noticed.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Is that your car @Harvey ?

Gosh you're brave putting a GoPro under the car. You must have mounted it very securely.

The suspend does soak up a lot of the deflection in the road surface and you don't get to notice all the bumps and troughs.

3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes that is my car @SpeedyGee, I suspect I know what your gonna say (its abit rusty under there)
    It was mounted to the bumper actually, with the official gopro suction mount (those have been tested at over 150mph without falling off, I've had mine doing over 70, but my heart was in my mouth abit though in case it did fall off.

4. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's amazing how much the suspension does travel even for minor undulations in the road surface.

Should do the same up here - your roads look in better nick than ours!

Would probably rattle the camera off the car some of the craters we have here.

Harvey likes this.
  5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Thats a cool video, very informative. :professor: I never really think about the stresses the suspension goes through when driving, but that puts thing into perspective, even the ARB, look how much work it is doing there, I must put a lot of undue stress on my car by the way I drive sometimes and the awful state of roads here. Fortunately the major suspension parts on the Accord are rock solid if not one of the best around in quality, design and durability, so they can probably take the abuse, all hail Showa quality! :Hey:

Ichiban, John Dickson and Harvey like this.
  6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Really? the rounds around the houses here are what I would call utter carp! The council just layed this tar slurry mix down over the bad roads, and its already coming up worn out in places. Not to mention the A5 which passes by Oswestry, they layed tar and chippings on it!!!!! thats like 1920's way of laying roads, certainly not fit for the 21st century and a major road through Shropshire. Thats shropshire council penny pinching!
    Aye, many people don't think about it as its a part of the car they rarily see. I can't see the roads being that bad where you are @exec than they are in any other part of the coutry, But I do agree, those 15 year old Showa shocks are ace! still all OE on every corner.

exec likes this.
  7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Our roads are a right mix of opposites where they are good they're spot on it's just there's not many like that. Sounds like Shropshire County council have hired Northumberland County council to do their roads lol.

Highways Agency are no better. They resurfaced A1 north of Morpeth a couple of years ago when it was raining and going to be frosty then wondered why it lifted.

They've just done a section south of Morpeth missed a bit out in one lane in the middle of the section and the centre line doesn't line up it's out by probably half a foot! WTF?

Harvey likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lol by the sounds of it, non of them could run a knees up in a brewery.
    Shropshire County Council spent £4m on a roundabout on the A5 Mile end, and they made a complete hash of it. I recon some gypos could have done a better job.
    They made the centre bigger, but i think they made it too big, then tried to put three lanes on it, but you can't get two articulated lorries side by side without lane cutting. then it goes into two lanes. and then one.
    It really is a mess. and yet the rumour is that shropshire council praised themselves on what a great (read rubbish) job of it.

John Dickson likes this.
  9. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

We had a mini roundabout in the middle of Morpeth it wasn't ideal but it worked for years. A developer and some so called traffic consultants convinced the council that 3 way lights would be better so they went for it (I think developer made a contribution to costs though) the result was gridlock throughout Morpeth even in parts that had never been a problem. After demonstrations and more wasted money the lights were removed after a year and the roundabout reinstated and traffic went back to normal overnight. They are clueless. Ironically the roundabout I'm on about is at the end of Thomas Telford's bridge. Poles apart - a modern traffic management farce right next to the work of one of the best civil engineers ever!

At the time we were just in process of moving to one unitary authority it was Castle Morpeth Borough Council at the time the lights were planned although Northumberland County Council was still responsible for highways. You can guess who got the blame! Yes both of them NCC blamed the by then defunct Castle Morpeth Borough Council . Like you say knees up in breweries!

Sorry for totally hijacking and diverting your thread by the way!

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I remember seeing a video a long long time ago showing the suspension at low speeds and then at high speeds and at high speeds it was going like crazy! Made me wonder at the time why it was always preferred to get a used car that had done mainly motorway miles, even though it's better for the engine.

Harvey likes this.
  11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@John Dickson , good brakes, don't get me started on the different councils blaming defunct parts, planning comittee and developers.

@ArcticFire high speeds over bumpy roads yeah, motorway miles are much more gentle if I remember, as the suspension is making only small corrections

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The video showed the opposite though?

13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I guess it depends on the road, looks like I'll have to experiment. Got a few types of road around here.

14. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Nice video - its fascinating how much it actually moves. Would be interesting to see it at motorway speeds for sure.

Is your exhaust blowing or is it the mic making it sound that way due to be closing to the rear of the exhaust

Harvey likes this.
  15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Would be ggod if you record on a twisty road or something and see the exertions on the suspensions when cornering and what the ARBs are doing.

PS: my exhaust sounds similar, I think its just the case of aftermarket exhaust not being as good as those fitted from the factory.

Harvey likes this.
  16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As @exec said it's the aftermarket exhaust that makes the exhaust sound like that it's down to the centre section I think as that was a motaquip one, where as the backbox is bosal. The centre pipe isn't made well and makes the back box sit at an odd angle, and it's always annoyed me. I'm off next week so I could make some more videos and I know a good driving road too, the Horseshoe pass near Llangollen , be a good test route.

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Right ladies and gents, here is a longer video (sorry a little boring if you like) of the same care driving on different types of roads, though sadly didnt get to do the twisties of the Horseshoe Pass, that would be for another time.

exec, legend-ary and Nighthawk like this.
  18. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Fascinating how hard it actually works. Impressive that stock suspension lasts as long as it does

Harvey likes this.
  19. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It certainly is @Nighthawk. The suspension on my car is original, 15 year old stuff and it still drives well and handles great, but I bet if I put new shocks and springs on it would completely transform the car as well.

exec likes this.
  20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've watched suspension being tested on various durability and reliability testing rigs, like the 6DOF (6 degress of freedom) below

6dof.

It gets accelerated testing for many 10's of thousands of miles and it is amazing what stresses and strains the suspension system has to put up with.

exec, Nighthawk, Harvey and 1 other person like this.