Off-Topic Everton or Liverpool ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nels, Tuesday 1st Apr, 2014.

1. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Just found this...
    Researchers unlock the secret behind club allegiance
    Scientists at Liverpool University have discovered a gene that determines whether a person will develop into a Liverpool or Everton fan, the Liverpool Echo claims.

It was previously thought that club allegiance was determined by "peer pressure and copying family members," but the new research challenges that theory.

image_update_5a39e285df27fcdc_1364822536_9j-4aaqsk.
    Nature or Nurture: What determines your football club allegiance? Credit: Martin Rickett/PA Archive/Press Association Images

According to the research, the Liverpool gene is associated with a "love of European travel" and "excellent long-term memory".
    The gene only appears to explain allegiance to one of the two teams, indicating that either we are all Liverpool or Everton fans deep down, or that more research is needed.

Which one are you?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Interesting theory but don't do club football :nea:

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Just wondered if you'd noticed any traits in DD?

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Also found this from the Daily Mirror...

During an interview on BBC Radio 2, on the morning of 1 April 1976, the astronomer Patrick Moore announced that at 9:47 AM a once-in-a-lifetime astronomical event was going to take place. The planet Pluto would pass behind Jupiter, temporarily causing a gravitational alignment that would reduce the Earth's own gravity. Moore told his listeners that if they jumped in the air at the exact moment this planetary alignment occurred, they would experience a strange floating sensation.
    The BBC received hundreds of phone calls from listeners claiming to have felt the sensation. One woman even reported she and her 11 friends had risen from their chairs and floated around the room.

upload_2014-4-1_8-48-26.

6. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Guess my name says it all really.

Interesting article...load of tosh like, but still interesting .

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The folk on here are too smart for me.
    Thought the Everton - Liverpool one my get a few biting.
    Hey ho, what's life without a little fun

8. sunbeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If I hadn't known the date ....
    For a perfect April Fool saga, check out the story of the Holy Grail being found in Spain - again. Don't those folk love bling. (Maybe more than JC did).

Sunbeem.

PS. April Ist. This morning I found a black circular disc with a hole in the centre in my flowerbed. Is this a record?

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    @Nels, I'll tell you which club I follow, neither. I don't do football these days, though when I did I was a Gunners fan through and through arsenal-flag.

You should see the utter chaos each local derby causes around these parts, my estate is quiet enough to hear a pin-drop at night but if there's a Merseyside match-up going on, you'll get everything from singing/screaming/chanting to gunshots/sirens/squealing tyres. For the record, about 4 doors down from me is the start of miles of fields and the Lancashire border, literally on the edge of the city.

The golden rule is, stay if the derby is on, you stay well away from City Centre. It's absolutely nuts.

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I've done my own extensive research on this and the results I found are:

Everton fans are born with the bitter and failure gene :Pathead:

Liverpool fans are born with the success gene :beer

11. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Football - for steers and queers - they don't look much like cattle to me :Tongue:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Come on mate egg chasers diet is beef and lager a footballer is leaner and quicker be will run ring around him playing catch me if you can. Egg chaser are built like brick houses not speed.lol

13. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    lmao @ egg chasers

Leaner and quicker maybe

Needs a tampon change if god forbid there was a tuft of grass out of place that caused him to slip.

Sorry, football is one of those things, a bit like religion, that I will simply never understand. All I see is small minded thugs, drunks and loud obnoxious people. Perhaps a very small minded view of football on my part, but christ on a bike, look at the players. The english ones can barely spell their own name, earn multiple hundreds of thousands a week for kicking a sheeps bladder round a field, throw offensive signs to the crowds, cry at the first sign of contact and the vast majority do very very little for society in general, the Irish ones were alcoholic, womanising, gamblers and yet these are supposed role models for children.

On the other hand, the likes of Beckham has actually learnt to spell now, even manages to string a sentence together and does a lot of charity and as he ages is now what I would class as a role model, but then he is in the limelight, I could name maybe 5 players at a push.

AndyB1976 and Ichiban like this.
  14. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nope not biting ...:Whistle:

15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    :Devil::Devil:

:king:

On a serious note I've enjoyed watching you bitters play, Martinez is a great coach and likes his football the proper way, a world away from Gollum!

16. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

'Gollum' haha...nice one.

Yes likewise, Brenda has turned it around this year for you guys too, masterstroke dropping Stevie G deeper and your strike force is second to none, lets hope you can manage to keep them, you still need to improve your leaky defence though.
    I think considering its a transitional year for us we are doing better than expected, and certainly better than the Mancs, I just hope we don't rely too much on loanees next year and finally make some decent purchase.

17. sunbeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

PeteMM you said it!
    "Sorry, football is one of those things, a bit like religion, that I will simply never understand. All I see is small minded thugs, drunks and loud obnoxious people. Perhaps a very small minded view of football on my part, but christ on a bike, look at the players. The english ones can barely spell their own name, earn multiple hundreds of thousands a week for kicking a sheep's bladder round a field, throw offensive signs to the crowds, cry at the first sign of contact and the vast majority do very very little for society in general, the Irish ones were alcoholic, womanising, gamblers and yet these are supposed role models for children".

Although I enjoy the sight of good football being played, I've never understood why team loyalty overcomes sportsmanship. We demean ourselves when it does. Who cares who wins? -- it's surely the quality of play that counts, anything else is simply puerile.

Football seems to provide a substitute to warfare to me - an opportunity to hate people for who they are, with immunity from the usual societal mores. Racism and homophobia grow in the stands like mould on rotten fruit, and those with political awareness understand that this aspect of society's weakness can be easily turned to other, more deadly purposes.
    Perhaps football violence is a necessary safety valve for people who can't rise any higher up the food chain without extensive further education, but when the majority tolerate it, we are all complicit in a nasty symptom of societal intolerance.

Anyone who deliberately bites another player should be hauled off the pitch by the police and charged with GBH. They are not fit for a sports field, and should never be allowed on one again. The fact that we close our eyes to the seriousness of this crime, and the example it sets to our children when the perpetrator is venerated, appals me - since it encourages the downward trend in human behaviour that most of us deplore.
    When we're not immersed in football that is.
    Why is it OK when we're watching the match?

Sunbeem.

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Me thinks I should have started this with a different April Fools prank :Foolish:
    Maybe the one about the extra, extra day to correct for the Earth's rotation :Devil:

AndyB1976 likes this.
  19. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sunbeam, Please don't tar all football supporters / players with the same brush, whilst I agree in mostly what you say about the 'Prima Donnas' that play now, there are still a few out there who play for the sake of the game and not the pocket, agreed football is more of a business now and that has ruined it in my eyes, but the game itself is still enjoyable to both watch and play.

20. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry can't edit post 'Sunbeem
    :Thumbup: