Engine & Gearbox Ex 2.2 Auto Diesel, Gurgling Noise

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by srgibbs, Tuesday 29th Apr, 2014.

1. srgibbs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've been getting a strange gurgling like noise from the front nearside of my car. The noise is more noticeable when on an incline at a speed of between 15-35 mph.
    My Honda Dealership have been investigating the noise for nearly a week now and have changed the Turbo and also uploaded software from Honda , but the noise is still there. They are currently checking the security of the air-intake pipes around the front nearside wheel.
    The gurgling noise also sounds like an in-rush of air around the passenger air vent; the vent has been checked out ok.
    Has anyone else had this problem? any ideas?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. srgibbs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The noise is a combination of gurgling and howling sound.
    Update: the dealership have eliminated the air intake pipes and are now looking at the inter-cooling system.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah that would suggest air trapped in the cooling system, which is accentuated by the heater matrix within the car, maje sure there is nopin hole leaks.

Do you have a clip of the sound.

5. srgibbs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi CJ, unfortunately no recording of the noise

6. srgibbs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have now managed to get a recording of the noise. The noise can be heard at 0:07 seconds.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Is the AC running when that happend ?

8. srgibbs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not sure if the AC was on, but it doesn't make any difference if the AC is on or off.
    One further point, the noise is more pronounced when you quickly come off the accelerator.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How many miles has your car done.. ? Have they explored he possibility of worn Driveshaft’s and DMF ?

10. srgibbs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Approximately 23,000 miles.They haven't mentioned checks on Driveshaft's and DMF!

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get back to them bud., but at that sort of mileage it can't be them but stranger things have happened. DMF will not be applicable to your car as its an Autobox.

12. srgibbs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks CJ, I'll call them tomorrow for a progress report and let you know if they find the cause of the noise.

13. srgibbs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UPDATE: I was called to my dealership investigating the noise today and they invited me on a road test of a new EX Accord 2.2 diesel (7 miles on the clock) and guess what? the new Accord made exactly the same noise as my car.

Understandably, the dealership feels they have gone as far as they can with this problem as it seems a characteristic of the EX 2.2 diesel car. I am trying to get a better recording of the noise and will upload it soon.

I've just contacted Honda UK Customer Services to escalate this higher with a view to resolving the problem, design mod etc.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Interesting indeed need to test drive a few other cars to see if this is a normal characteristic of the car. The new car you test drove was that a auto or a manual ?

15. srgibbs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It was an auto like mine.

16. srgibbs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Better recording of the noise heard inside my car.

If any other Accord owners hear this noise could they please post on this thread.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can other Auto diesel owners have a look there is a distinctive sound @srgibbs if you were to put the car in S mode does this still happen?