Fuel Efficiency EX Fuel consumption

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by RichT, Saturday 26th Jan, 2013.

1. RichT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Filled up my CR-V for the first time today. Due to the snow and ICE and only doing the relatively short journeys to and from work (11 miles each way), it was only reading 35 MPG :Aghast:

I then reset the trip meter and did a trip to Southampton and back, so mostly motorway 65-70 mph. It was reading 42.5 MPG when I got home which is a lot better and hopefully will improve as the engine gets run in and the weather improves.

One thing that has puzzled me is the approx 2 - 3 MPG less that the SR & EX models are quoted, compared to the S & SE models. According to the specifications on the Honda UK website, all the models produce the same bph and torque, have the same acceleration and top speed and the same kerb weight. I know the SR & EX have 18 inch wheels, but the outside diameters should be the same? I would think the 18 inch wheels would be heavier, but are they not included in the kerb weight? So why do the SR & EX use more fuel (and end up in a different band for VED)?

2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    That's because the tires are wider, not because of the diameter or any weight difference.
    The wider tires produce more roling resistance and more aerodynamic drag.

3. RichT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That sounds possible but, according to the specification, the tyres are:
    S & SE: 225/65R17
    SR & EX: 225/60R18

which means they are all the same width (225 mm) ?

4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Just found out why.
    The lower specs are 2WD and the higher 4WD. At least in Belgium.

5. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Yes it's the same here too, the lower spec CR-V (2013 models) are front wheel drive only

6. RichT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I didn't think that was the case for the UK.

On the webpage Model Specifications | New Honda CR-V 2012 there is one model "2.0 i-VTEC (Petrol) Manual 2WD" that specifically states it's 2WD, but all the other models are 4WD, irrespective of whether they are S, SE, SR or EX versions.

7. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Hmmm, Got me beat then Rich, why there should be that difference in MPG. Ah well back to the drawing board on this one.

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    You're right....!
    I rechecked in Belgium and it's 100% same as in UK (2WD-4WD, CO2, weight, tyres...).
    What is hard to believe: the weight is the same for the top specs while the top spec costs an 8500 euro more and has huge pile of extra equipment including some heavy stuff (roof, electric motors for seats, extra liters for the headlight washers, etc...).
    I'd say it's down to the weight, but it does not show on the spec sheets. Very strange, indeed.

9. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Having looked at all the specs again I think it has got to be down to wheels and tyres. Found this out there on the www, and although not a lot of difference, there is a difference.

click on the highlighted ( blue ) tyre size to get the full page.

225x65xR17-225x60xR18.

Last edited: Sunday 27th Jan, 2013