Off-Topic Ex Hire Cars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SayamaAccord, Saturday 17th Nov, 2012.

1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Plenty of websites sell ex hire cars around 12 months old with around 10k miles on the clock and several grand cheaper than new.

Would you buy one?

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've always had a thing against buying them.
    Probably because of the way I always thrash them when I've had one. Thus I assume most people do.

3. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Many many many moons ago I worked for about 4 years for VAG and experanced first hand how some of their lease cars came back, I also worked for about 2 years for Peugeot and again experienced how some of their lease cars came back (and even how some of their new unregistered cars went out to dealers) and on that basis alone GOD NO! would not touch one.

Just my experiences and they are dated but Pug-I went around couple of their body shops where they fixed new cars damaged in transit and the amount that went out as brand new motors to some poor bod with body filler and quick fix repairs was staggering.. No I would not touch one unless it was at least half it's original value and even then I would have to think long and hard..

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I bought one but only found out after a year that it used to be hire car,served me well for 4 years without single problem but if i knew it i wouldn't bought it.
    They are thrashed within inch of their life.

5. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton

Yep Zoran is right.. There is the argument though that the savings are considerable but then again... personaly I would not take the chance.. Each to their own..

6. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Are they really any worse than any other used car with a few owners?

I would always buy on condition, and as most are only a year old, you have 2 more years of warranty to pick up the bill on major problems.

7. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Honest John recommends them too, and he doesn't pull any punches.

8. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Although some hire cars are thrashed anything with a decent size engine should be OK as it is really difficult to do damage/thrash bigger engines.
    Did work in motor trade, ex Jersey hire cars were little peaches top spec fiestas were good value.

9. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I doubt the warranties would cover knackered clutches and dmfs.

As for ex jersey hire cars they probably are good. That 30mph speed limit all over the island helps.