General Exhaust smoke in this weather?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Pilot, Saturday 21st Nov, 2015.

1. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Daniel London
    I've recently mentioned in other thread how my Accord seems to have seems like just a bit too much of exhaust smoke in this type of current weather in the UK. When it's 0 to 10C, my car seems to have excess smoke for first 10-15 minutes before I lose it. For me it would only seem normal if it lasted up to 5 minutes but mine smokes way longer. Is this a Honda thing because just few days ago I drove up to a traffic light and I saw same amount of smoke coming from another Honda....I think it was a 2002 Civic. Like you can tell other cars produce way less smoke in cold weather, but Honda seem to have way more of it? Is there a reason for it? Does your Accord have same symptoms in colder weather that last longer than other cars?

2. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi @Pilot is the smoke just white, wispy stuff or is there more of a blue-ish tone to it?

From your post I suspect it is the former as all the petrol Accords I've had have been the same even from brand new. It's just condensation in the exhaust system. There is a lot of water vapour in exhaust gasses - especially on modern cars as the catalyst produces more water vapour as it gets rid of hydrocarbons in the exhaust gas. The water vapour condenses more readily in colder air so that's why there seems to be so much more in this weather.

The Accord has a longer exhaust system so it takes longer to heat the system up and also there is more pipe work in contact with cold air for the condensation to form. I noticed that even after long runs in cold weather my petrol Accords would all steam like this when stopped. It's not so noticeable on the I-DTEC but that's probably because the tailpipe directs the exhaust to ground level so it doesn't float around the back of the car as much as with the straight tailpipe on petrols. I have noticed steam from the I-DTEC though as well especially in this weather.

As long as it's just white wispy steam you are seeing it's nothing to worry about.

If it's blue-ish smoke then there is oil burning off in the engine but this would tend to be under acceleration more than anything else and the oil burn could be for a variety of reasons from simply being overfilled to worn valve guides or scraper rings on the pistons allowing more oil than normal into he combustion chambers in the engine.

If it is black smoke then it is running too rich a mixture.

Hope this helps.

Ichiban and SpeedyGee like this.
  3. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Agree with John Iv had this fluffy white steam from day one of ownership and the car runs like a dream.
    This only happens under 10 degrees and even after a long run.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A good tuned petrol will billow water vapour , for all you petrol head for every liter of burnt fuel there is one liter of water vapour emitted. When it cold you will see it . This one of primary reasons you see corroded exhaust systems on petrol cars but never on shitty weasel cars.

5. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    bl@@dy weasels all that dirty oily black shit they blow out lubing the insides of their exhaust systems :Devil:

MickyB, John Dickson and Ichiban like this.
  6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Yet another advantage for diesels!

John Dickson likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get the tailpipe of your weasel Into the cabin then you will see the Advantages.

John Dickson likes this.
  8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    The lower CO content would mean that I'd not pass out before being able to take evasive action, unlike if petrol exhaust was getting into the cabin. If your going to commit suicide using car exhaust, then use a petrol!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Anyway, aren't you becoming one of 'us' in the near future?

MickyB likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This lower CO is bullshit sold by the labour government , now there will be a Nox tax coming tomorrow ..you can bleat from hill tops to get Gordon ***** brown back before you can say commies-r-us. Lol
    I'll resist all attemptes for me to get into a weasel car but the HR-V 1.6 is a fabulous car.

MickyB and John Dickson like this.
  10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

:wheelchair::rasta::rasta::rasta::rasta::rasta:What you'll need is one of these:fan:

11. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    ff53c42e57c1bf6394964a7c4f3db04db6ec561544f1c827841fb02b6e3b25fa.

12. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

If anybody saw Panorama Monday night about the VW diesel scandal. You wouldn't EVER touch a diesel engine again if you have any ECO / Green credentials.

The NOX under normal driving conditions was three times higher than the EU limits. And that's before we get onto the particulates (which are all captured by the expensive DPF erm not!)

Petrol has higher Co2 emissions but apart from that they are like a life support system for the polar bear ;-)

jimjams likes this.
  13. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Daniel London
    I can confirm that my car does run like dream, it doesn't eat oil whatsoever everything seems normal and drives just like new...it's just that I found it odd how only seems like Hondas around same year as my Accord seem to have excessive amount of smoke due to weather. It just didn't seen normal for me, it felt like I was driving in Russia or something during winter -20C which would make more sense. But I can also confirm it DOES go away after driving or running the engine for half an hour or so. TBH I still don't like the fact that it's doing it, because I feel like I should switch the engine on and leave it to idle for 30 minutes before driving as I feel like I am doing engine harm or something as it smokes lol. I will try to record the video at some point when I have some time.

14. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I know exactly what you mean. Very short trips in any car are not good, particularly this sort of weather, and especially if a diesel. I see that your car is is a K20 so not so bad.

Like you I still prefer to get the engine fully warm. The nearest supermarket to me (Morrisons) is just under a mile away, and there's a Tesco in the opposite direction just over 2 miles away. I prefer to walk or cycle to the nearest one, but in this weather I prefer the car. If the traffic is bad in the direction of Tesco (which it usually is) then I take a long route to Morrisons, and a long route back, making it about 5 miles in total, which just gets the gauge up to the middle.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    "There's no smoke without fire!" or in the case of exhaust smoke, there's no "smoke" without burning oil, which you say it doesn't do. So what you are probably seeing is water vapour or the engine maybe running a little rich on fast idle.

16. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think that was surmised earlier in the thread. What the OP means by "smoke" is actually "water vapour", which collects in the exhaust and rots it in the inside (also said by someone else previously).

But the OP is now talking about the effects of water vapour on things further upstream from the exhaust.