General Exhaust smoke under acceleration - how can I reduce it?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by dbrooks65, Saturday 31st Oct, 2015.

1. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Hi folks

It's getting really embarrassing now - big plumes of smoke chucked out when I give it some. Last night on my way home from work I reckon I took a few years off the life of a jogger when I realised I had been driving sedately for a while and decided clean the pipes out. Poor bloke. :Blushing:

I've tried a few things already - I used tunap last year, BG244 this year, I use Shell V Power diesel and it's just been serviced by Honda.

What else can I do? Terraclean? EGR clean?

Cheers

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    EGR valve clean would be my first choice. Don't waste time cleaning the pipework, just ensure the valve fully closes and does so without sticking. I assume yours is a facelift model? If so, you'll need to apply suction to check the operation, earlier models had an electric valve (which is far less likely to have problems).

Nighthawk and dbrooks65 like this.
  3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    EGR valve clean sorted the black smoke from my CR-V.

4. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Yeah facelift model.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Interesting. I won't be cleaning it myself - I would get a garage to do it.

Just spoke to Phoenix Honda Linwood where my car is going for an MOT in a few weeks. Asked about EGR clean and costs - not something they do often unless there's a problem and the chap didn't have a price. Did you clean your EGR yourself Graham?

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If you must go to Honda dealer, then you may as well ask them to run full HDS diagnostics on your car! This will check most engine sub-systems (so EGR, IMRC, injector balance, turbo boost, fuel pressure, etc) by setting ascending targets and monitoring how these systems respond to the greater loading... This should therefore pinpoint the actual system at fault.

FirstHonda likes this.
  6. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Thanks @Zebster. The thing is I'm not sure if any system is at fault at all. If it wasn't for the smoke under hard acceleration I'd say my car was running perfect.

Economy is good, power is good, turbo kicks in when it should, idles well, no fault lights.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Mine smokes noticeably under load, but maybe not as bad as you suggest. Non-DPF diesels will normally smoke under full load but it can be hard to notice unless the lighting shows it up (I notice mine more with the sun behind me in late afternoon). And I use whatever fuel is available cheapest.

You seem concerned, so you may as well ask Honda to run diagnostics?

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The CR-V was tricky because of the location of some of the bolts but I think the Accord may have better access? It's a dirty job but it's something I'd do myself because I'd want to make sure it was as squeaky clean as possible afterwards. I also did the whole manifold.

If Honda would let you then try to see it done before refitting but I doubt they'll let you in the workshop.

dbrooks65 likes this.
  9. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Last nights episode was in the dark and the headlights of the car behind made it look worse than it probably was.

I'd be more concerned if the car wasn't running right or a fault light was on. HDS diagnostics is about £100 IIRC. I'm thinking an EGR clean would make sense at this stage.

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Wow, you can buy your own (admittedly cloned) HDS on eBay for less than £100.

Last edited: Saturday 31st Oct, 2015
  11. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Clean the EGR it's still a pain on the Accord to get the bolts out mine doesn't smoke as bad as it used to although in the dark when cars are behind it still looks like someone set off a smoke screen lol.... i'll just add that after cleaning my EGR all the lumpy crap running seems to have gone.

dbrooks65 likes this.
  12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Also try not to leave any loose deposits in the EGR valve. The odd little bit will be OK, you may hear a crack from the engine when you first start it.

dbrooks65 and Zebster like this.
  13. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Update - just drove it like I stole it which seems to have sorted it for now anyway. Nothing visible coming out the exhaust now.

FirstHonda likes this.
  14. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That also works but on mine it didn't take long for it to start to smoke under hard acceleration.

15. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Yeah I suspect the same thing will happen again.

16. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Clean the EGR yourself. Its a simple enough job. There is a diy for the facelift on here if you need it

17. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

You could part ex it for a VW, apparently they only emit pure oxygen from their exhausts.

Sorry couldn't resist muuhahahahhaha

FirstHonda and Bones126 like this.
  18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    And it's called BlackMotion Technology !

19. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I've cleaned my EGR and still get more smoke when I floor it, more visible at night in the car headlights. I'm sure it's developed this more since having the re-map done, do you know if you car is re-mapped?

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

dbrooks65 likes this.