Engine & Gearbox Experience with cloned (China) Honda HDS?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Kristian, Friday 29th May, 2015.

1. Kristian Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Norway Kristian Stokmarknes
    Hi!
    After having spent £150 on a forced regeneration (Honda dealer) for the second time this year, I find myself looking into buying an HDS. I came across this forum, with a DIY forced regeneration using said HDS clone:
    How to use HIM and HDS to make a forced regeneration of DPF - Civinfo

I get more and more temted to order one, as it seems the HDS can do about anything the dealer would charge you a kidney for. One forced dealer regeneration is pricewise equal to the cost of ordering one online, shipping and VAT incl (£150).

Does anyone here own an HDS, and if so could you tell me anything about it? I read somewhere the HDS is only compatible with firmware 2.027, however most typical online sites (aliexpress.com for instance) sell it with "latest" software, 3.015. What sites are recommended for purchase, and do you recommend purchasing one at all?

Frustrated 2.2 I-DTEC driver
    Kristian

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's one for @Ichiban to answer. I've not had a need to try a regen on anyone's car with my cloned HDS.

3. Kristian Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee, where did you buy your HDS? Can you confirm you can only run software version 2.027 as the latest? Will it run without problems on a WIN7 computer?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm pretty sure I'm still on the older software. Haven't tried running it on a Win7 PC.

I simply got mine from ebay, shipped from China.

5. Kristian Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, I will wait for @Ichiban's reply before I go ahead and order one.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Version 2.027 is a old version it will work on Win7 under computability mode but it has to be 32biut O/S no issues.

7. Kristian Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Does that mean I should go ahead and buy the HDS with the newest software? This is where I read about 2.027 being the only compatible version. RJAAI001_FAQ.htm

Thank you!

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It depends some ebay sellers will say our latest HDS software will work with "Good quality clone HIM's" they are all the same and made in the same region of china of 50kms area.. so you have a low chance of this newer HDS software used on MVCI to work with HIM's

You need to remember cloned HDS don't have rewritable Eproms and they are tied into a software and you can't update or user new HDS software as the first thing it will try to do is update the firmware and as the eprom is not flashable it will fail.

The link you have posted for legitimate and genuine HIM and MVCI you can't just purchase it without a subscription which is mega money..

9. Kristian Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok,
    I got a little confused in the mix here:
    Low chance of this software working?
    So if I understand correctly, software 3.xx should not work with HIM, and HDS is just a common name for any diagnostic system affiliated with Honda?

Appearantly I have been looking into the HIM-clone, such as this one:
    2015 New V3.015.20 for Honda HDS HIM Diagnostic Tool with Double Board For Honda HDS Scan Tool For Honda Diagnostic HDS-in Diagnostic Tools from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Is the hardware unlikely to be incompatible with the software that comes with it to install on the computer?

Many thanks!

Kristian
    - - - Updated - - -
    Unlikely to be compatible..

10. diro Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Norwich
    Rhetorical question...
    What if I replace existing EEPROM to flashable one prior that transfering firmware from non flashable first?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah that should do mate.. the newer HIM's have a flushable now. The early one just didn't play ball.

12. diro Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have an order comming from China. It has 3.015 version software what says in the item's description.
    It should be with flashable EEPROM but you never know

13. diro Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right...
    Received Honda HIM unit last week and I am not impressed tbh. It reads DTC, connects to car ecus - I dint have troubles with software installation etc. But for me its not good. Its too slow, very laggy live data
    I tried using latest software 3.017 version - no problem connecting to the car. Before that updated HIM with firmware what comes with 3.017 version. But live data parameters of car engine are very slow. Unacceptablr. Too much lag. If engine idles and I push accelerator - new figure shows up only after 4-6 seconds. Graph option is laggy too.
    Decided to downgrade software to 3.015 - the same thing, Seller said in the description HIM with 3.015 software. But CD contains 2.024 lol
    I reckon if HIM was an old generator I could not update formware which I did first time when used 3.017 and secong time when downgraded to 3.015
    Decent laptop for such system - dell d630 2ghz dual core intel, 3gb ram, windows7 Pro x64. As far as I know HDS 3.015 and above is compatible with win7
    Does anyone else experience did have the same issues? Is it device problem or something else?

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

OBD is very slow baud rate, so it's not much use for trying to log live data.

15. diro Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I plugged maxisys pro to my honda the other day - live data log was far superior and very quick compare to HIM
    So its not obd issue I think
    - - - Updated - - -
    Mine is so slow like in this video

Here is another video - much better response. Live data of engine RPM changes almost instantly unlike in video above

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Not sure then. Mines not working at alll at the moment, so I can even check for comparison.

17. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    early clones run ok on Acoord 6th Generation and Accord 7th Generation, maybe it's an issue with later clones on the Accord 8th Generation ?