General extended warranties

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike c, Tuesday 1st Jan, 2013.

1. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Hi guys, my CR-V will be 3 years old end January so the first MOT is looming. I intend to get it tested mid January and my local dealer has said it will give it a good check over as well to see if there is anything needs doing before the Honda warranty expired( they are good like that).
    I am considering taking on an extended warranty including wear and tear but at around £350 for a year it is expensive. Have you any thoughts on the extended warranties and in particular the addition of wear and tear. I have yet to read the fine detail of what is covered. My car has only done 14k , had a new clutch under the Honda warranty and so I am not expecting to have problems with the MOT.
    Regards Mike c

2. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, I would have thought that a Honda warranty would be far better than an aftermarket one. I bought my car from an independent and I have been quoted £375 for a years warranty and the dreaded DPF is not covered with them whereas I would assume Honda would sort it out if anything happened to it.
    Looking at it another way, it's less than £1 a day for a years peace of mind.

Regards,

Ivor.

3. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Mike, asking other guys' thoughts is not always a guarantee for success to get the right answer. If you ask it to 10 different people, you might get 10 different answers.
    My personal opinion: I wouldn't do it. But don't let you lead by my opinion:Smile:. I never paid in my whole life a dime for any extra warranty or road assistance. And I was always able to help myself or sort things cheap myself (I remember the blown headgasket on one of my French cars...: costed me 70 euros on parts).
    My cars and motorcycle don't see the inside of a workshop. I'm a DIY-guy. Exception: tyres (I don't have the equipment).
    You have to judge this for yourself. Next reply might tell you the opposite of what I tell you, and that answer can be as correct as mine.

4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Mike

Added to the cost of the warranty is continued main dealer servicing although you may or may not plan to do that anyway.

Personally if I had the diesel engine I would extend the warranty but if I had the petrol engine like yourself I wouldn't bother.

Apart from service items like fluids and filters and consumables such as tyres and batteries there might be the odd item such as clutches and suspension links and bushes which you deal with when they happen but apart from that touch wood most petrol Hondas are normally okay IMHO.

Last edited: Tuesday 1st Jan, 2013
  5. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Petrol No, diesel Yes

6. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I have just changed my Accord Tourer EX ICTDI, that I bought new in March 2004, for a new CR-V EX I-DTEC. It will be nine years old in March and I never had a problem with it. Despite all of the dire warnings about the unreliability of diesel engines mine was perfect. I just hope my CR-V will be the same.

7. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Give HH a ring they will do the warranty cheaper. I got two years for not much more then that.

8. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys for your responses which are a mixed bunch of replies, pretty well what I expected and all of them make sense. I have already got a service plan sorted through the dealer which I am happy with and covers my servicing requirements for the foreseeable future .
    Being the petrol version ,I am tempted to run without a warranty extension, from the engine point of view, but this version shares suspension, steering components, with the diesel version (not saying that the diesel version will suffer any problems) but both could.
    I think I will have a good look at what is on offer and the limitations of any such warranties and try to make a good decision based on what I learn.
    If HH was a bit nearer I would definitely consider going with them based upon their reputation within this site but I really need to have cover locally. ( I only work about 1/4 mile from my local dealer who I really get on with and trust).
    Following the MOT I will look into it further . I will let you know which way I jumped .
    Thanks again
    Mike c

9. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wouldn't bother for a petrol, as for steering, bushes, shockers and suspension components they will last to at least 100k miles so id save my money,

10. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The Honda one is pretty good. Having dealt with 3rd party warranty companies in the past, most are not worth the paper they're written on.

11. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Also as you are going to maintain full Honda service history, you should be able to get some goodwill payment from Honda towards any freak failure repair that isn't wear and tear.

Depends also how long you are keeping it for. Most modern cars will do 7 years or so without any major problems, as long as you service them.

12. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Wow guys, there is so much good feedback on this site, thanks
    Mike c

13. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mike you can buy the warranty from HH and claim at any dealership. It's not tied to them. I live a fair distance from HH. Obviously they want you to go to them as they get paid for any work they do.

14. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I am still debating which way to jump on the warranty front .
    I had my car serviced yesterday and was advised that both my clutch and brake fluids were contaminated and so decided to have them both changed. I was informed that the cost would be £90 total. I took out a service plan with the local dealership which was supposed to " remove any unexpected servicing costs"
    My car has only done 14 k but is three years old on 29/1/13 so I expected to have the 36k / 3 year service which includes the changing of hydraulic fluids . The dealership have said that only a level 1 service is required and so the fluid changes are "additional service items"
    I am going to challenge this, but if this sort of thing happens with the service plan I am wondering what " none covered items" would appear with the extended warranties .
    Regards
    Mike c

15. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I challenged the cost of the fluid changes with the dealership and the workshop foreman defended the charge saying that I was on a dealership plan which was a reduced cost plan where they cherry pick what they do to keep the cost down whilst maintaining a Honda service record. I pointed out that in the documents I received , it is stated that the brake fluid should be changed on the CR-V every three years (highlighted in red print) and he said that on none of their forms (used in the workshop) did it show such a statement . To prove a point he offered me a copy to look at. He offered to look down the list of items and to his surprise there it was in RED and WHITE! !! He then said that this was the form for the Honda service plan and not the one I had purchased. Fortunately the service receptionist was with us and she said it WAS the plan I had paid for!!
    A very embarrassed foreman apologised and then agreed that I shouldn't be charged for the brake fluid replacement . He went on to reduce the bill from £90 to £40 saying that he would reduce the cost of the clutch fluid change by a fiver as it was a smaller capacity.
    If you decide to buy a service plan always get the dealership to go through its contents and what is and what is NOT covered . I saved myself £50 today for sticking to my guns and going in prepared.
    Regards
    Mike c