Engine & Gearbox F22B Cylinder Head on F18B2

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Rastaj, Tuesday 24th Feb, 2015.

1. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Rastaj Templemore
    Just a quick question. Read somewhere that the f22b SOHC VTEC head fits directly onto f18b2. Just wondering if anyone could tell me if this is true, how would this affect the motor and is there much work involved. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The F22B1 has 7hp more and uses VTEC-E, I don't think it's worth exploring based on that :Smile:

3. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is there more opportunity for tuning with the f22 head though seems iy was sugested a couple of times by people

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Even if there is, by the time you've sourced and swapped on a cylinder head from a 5th Generation, you might as well have shoved in a H22A7 from an Accord Type-R or H22A8 from a Prelude and have 200hp out of the box :Smile:

5. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Its the insurance thats stopping me tbh 3000 for any accord other than 1.8 VTEC sport which is unusual seeing as the word sport usually increases premiums ha

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Ahh, I hear you - makes sense now. The thing is you'll still strictly need to declare it, not that it's going to be noticeable from the bay but any engine changes sky rocket the insurance price.

The best way to extract power out of the lower power engines is to boost them, but I'm guessing that's out of the question too :Laughing:

7. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So would it, in theory alow more tunability to the engine with the f22 head? can't seem to find anything tuning wise on the f18. (Probably a reason for that) :Wink: ha

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I can't say mate, I'm not well enough versed on the F-Series engines. As you've realised there's limited tuning info anywhere for the F18, as there's easier routes to power few people explore it.

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The F series are economy engines, so not really designed to be tuned, theres not much you can do to them hence the lack of tuning mods. Accept them for what they are which is an ultra reliable, revvy and lively engines. I have no issues with the pace of my car, it picks up real quick, and I have managed to keep up with some more powerful cars, beat an e46 M3 cabrio off the line once! The F20 is actually really quick off the line, just the gearing on the 2nd gear finishes early, tops at 59mp which bumps the official 0-60 up because of the gear change.

If you want a faster car then really you will need to pay more for one.