Off-Topic Facebook made to look daft as Phuc

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by jimjams, Wednesday 25th Nov, 2015.

1. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    An Australian called Phuc Dat Bich who made global headlines after saying he was fighting to use his real name on Facebook has admitted it was hoax. "What started as a joke between friends, became a prank that made a fool out of the media."
    But he also said Facebook "needs to understand that it is utterly impossible to legitimise a place where there will always be pranksters and tricksters". :Rolf: Phucing brilliant
    Phuc Dat Bich admits hoax in Facebook name battle - BBC News

Facebook page for Phuc Dat Bich
    Phuc Dat Bich | Facebook

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Facebook disabled my account yesterday, due to suspicions that it was not in the name of a 'real' person (which it wasnt).

3. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think that is the point being made by "Phuc Dat Bich", from the BBC article it looks like he photoshopped his driving licence.

btw, my Facebook account is definitely a made-up name, and I'm wondering why mine has not been disabled yet.

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It would be fairly simple for me to Photoshop the required ID documentation, which FB need in JPEG form, but that would presumably be a fraudulent activity?

I've known other friends have their accounts disabled, so I was expecting it. They'll probably close your's in time.

5. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not sure if it is fraudulent, at the end of the BBC article it is stated (correctly IMO) "It is not clear if he photoshopped his passport. Physically altering a valid passport would be illegal."

Originally my account was in my real name, and I only started it to be able to see what my sons were up to (one of them encouraged me to do so). But at the time, the youngest (who was 16 at the time) was being harassed (mildly bullied) by some cretins at his school, so I changed my Facebook name to something else, so that I could intervene. One of them actually got into a fierce flaming attack with me when I intervened, and he backed off when I said I would tell his prents and the school if he didn't cease the flaming on me. Obviously he didn't know who I really was either .

Since then, I haven't changed it back, the reason now is that there is someone who I know who owes me a considerable sum of money, and for certain reasons that I can't go into, I have been watching his brother on Facebook. Now I keep getting emails from Facebook suggesting that I make him a friend !!

This also happens when I search for people that I have known in the past, it is extremely daft of Facebook to have a system that, because you have looked at someone's Facebook page, you would want to be their friend. I suspect that that is how it happens i.e. someone dobs you in.

So well done "Phuc Dat Bich" :Smile:

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    What a name! :Laughing: Why are Facebook being so anal with real names and details? They are a bloody private social media platform, not some official government database, or are they? :bigeyed::spiteful:

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It's ridiculous! I've just had to waste 30 minutes creating another fake FB account and sending out friend requests from memory. This fake account is now in a plausible name, so more likely to be used for fraudulent or sinister purposes...

8. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeah I think it's a brilliant name too, and I also think that Facebook are being totally anal about it all.

I mean, if people in one's Friends-list are ok about using a daft name, then who cares.

My Facebook-name is so daft that it clearly is not a real name, but it's obvious that I am a real person from my Friends-list. Anyway, I've taken a screen-shot of my Friends-list, and if my account gets closed I'll start another account, and maybe come back to this thread to disclose what the current Facebook-name is (don't ask ..... I'm not telling LOL)

9. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It seems that Facebook have now closed his account

Phuc Dat Bich | Facebook <----- this now gives Sorry, this page isn't available

Moral of the story, if you photoshop your driving licence to prove to Facebook that a made-up name is real, don't tell everyone LOL

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Faceache, faceshyte same thing what wrong with people meeting up in the pub or calling them on the phone. All this social media crap is talking over our lives and posting for all and sundry to see your stupid antics.

FirstHonda likes this.
  11. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

what if you have friends & relatives who live in another country, or if one works on projects abroad ?

Facebook is convenient for quickly/easily posting pictures and videos for friends & relatives to see, and its built-in instant messenger is very useful too. It is actualy a very useful package if used for keeping in contact with relatives and "true" friends :Tongue:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Move to where there are or dump em and make local friends wo you can converse with without the likes.. Facebook is a lazy arse way of communicating and quite frankly revolting!!

13. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

suppose one has 3 grown-up children, one living/working in Australia, another living/working in USA, and another living/working in Japan ....your premise is thus bunkum

and it is a very good all-in-one package

and it is possible to set it up so that no-one else can see anything at all ....no-one will ever find my Facebook page unless I give them the name on the account by which they can search for it, and even then they cannot see anything at all, other than the name and the "profile" picture.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Jim I have no family member in this country I use Skype, video conferencing I refuse to tell my family this facebook route is the only way. I want people to hear my voice not my words which are rants like this thread is appearing to be.

Words in the written form are misconstrued in the wrong way!

15. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if you want, I'll set up a "dummy" Facebook account with the name "Honda Karman" (note the "n") and put a link to it in this thread. I could set it up so that you cannot see anything other than the name and a profile picture.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Did that shit some tw@t grassed me up and it got blocked, I did that twice !! You can see why I hate it so much.

17. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

skype is a totally different entity in all respects

what if people are in very different time-zones ?

also, pictures and words are permanent for memories, live video and talking is gone when it's gone.

and I haven't seen anything misconstrued on any Facebook page or message that I have ever seen

- - - Updated - - -
    must be in your Karma LOL

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Speak to them briefly and make sure both parties make time to make that effort to speak in respectable hour or weekends, yes mate its my karma and my voodoo doll is available in Argos .b@st@rds.

19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

sounds like sour-grapes over something LOL

what's all this "speak to them briefly" ....I remember the days when people used to send reel-to-reel tapes in the post, if you want to stick to old-fashioned techniques you could try that LOL

and if you want to reduce postage, a carrier-pigeon might do it

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am not in popularity contest to win adoration from other not my style. LOL