Pre-Purchase Facelift or pre ctdi?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Kris81, Wednesday 3rd Feb, 2016.

1. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi guys I'm after some advice really on the diesel Accords.
    I'm thinking selling my CL9 and getting a 7th Generation diesel accord.
    Anyone know what's good or bad about them? I think I fancy a facelift version as my CL9 is a prefacelift.

What do I need to look out for when going to view them?

Thanks in advance.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Better to go facelift and lower mileage as possible. Service history is a must. Listen for engine noise, guess you need to listen to a few before you get use to knowing what sounds right. Check for clutch and DMF operation (smooth clutch engagement, no slipping) as replacement is quite expensive.

Kris81 and Nighthawk like this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Facelift for sure

Look out for leaking exhaust manifold - its around a 2k repair price - it was fixed for free under honda warranty but the 7th gens willbe too old now to be automatically covered.
    Make sure they have the shortened alternator belt
    VSA modulators can go on them - again, its a 2k fix if you order a new one from Honda - I got my refurbed for around 150 I think it was.
    And the DMF as already mentioned by Speedy.

They are great cars, I have had mine since she was 3 (turns 9 this year), and covered 60k in her and other than the manifold and modulator, absolutely nothing has gone wrong with her other than normal wear and tear items which go on any car but I do look after her and service her every six months without fail instead of the standard 12 months.

Pick carefully though, as @SpeedyGee says - service history is absolutely essential, or at least a mountain of receipts showing how she has been looked after. Mine hasnt had a service stamp in her since she hit 50k (she covered 50k in her first 3 years) - but I have receipts of everything in a big folder. They are fussy, a bad one will cost you an absolute fortune, so take your time and get a good one

Good luck with your search

Last edited: Thursday 4th Feb, 2016
    Nels, SpeedyGee and Kris81 like this.
  4. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys.
    Gonna run the petrol abit longer, I topped up with 3/4 a tank of tesco momentum and I'm at 420 miles with no petrol light yet!
    I'll be filling it with momentum again tomorrow see how it goes.

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    I moved from an 03 Type-S to an 04 I-CTDI

Only thing I miss is the soundtrack

6. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yeh, I'm not looking forward to that, but then I'm just sat on motorways so no sound track to be enjoyed really.

7. Nighthawk Guest

@Kris81 ... if you can wait towards the end of this year, il be selling my accord. Probably one of the best CTDIs you will find

Nels, Duc de Pommfrit and SpeedyGee like this.
  8. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I've had both. Cracked exhaust manifolds have been the main issue. Other than that for the pre-facelift over 3 years it was routine maintenance and general wear and tear.

For my current facelift, in addition to the manifold, I've replaced an ABS sensor. Plus routine maintenance and generel wear and tear over 2 years of ownership so far.

I could do with a new Clutch master cylinder as the pedal can creak sometimes but a bit of molykote spray sorts it out for a while. Still on original clutch and DMF at 101K.

Nighthawk and Kris81 like this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

Its the first time I have kept the same car for so long. I normally get bored after a year or so. I still love driving her after 6 years

Kris81 likes this.
  10. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    facelift diesel came with 6th gear also, fairly big difference for motorway cruising

11. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    My eyes have starting wandering lately I have to admit - not the cars fault though. :offtopic:

12. Nighthawk Guest

I love my 6th gear

So are mine - again not the cars fault, just what I want has changed i.e something with a VTEC kick in it

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Are we talking about cars here or something else? :Whistle::Innocent:

Nighthawk, dbrooks65 and legend-ary like this.
  14. Nighthawk Guest

Depends? Do women have VTEC kicks in them? :Whistle:

dbrooks65 and legend-ary like this.
  15. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Most definitely go for the face lift (2006 or newer)
    Had my I-CTDI Accord for 2 years now and love driving it.
    Apart from the alternator going - known issue with aux belt routing taking out its bearing and sticky rear calipers it has been trouble free
    A great comfortable motorway cruiser and excellent levels of kit.
    My brother was looking at other alternatives but it always comes to to the Accord. being great value for money and loads of kit as standard.
    This may will help to give you an idea of the facelift benefits
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/differences-between-facelift-pre-facelift.70/live

Having owned the car for awhile now here are the areas you should watch out for when viewing one
    -Check history to see if the manifold has been changed - original version is known to crack
    -Check to see if the aux belt has the updated routing. if not check for clicking noises around the alternator belt - this is a sign the alternator bearing is on its way out. the old belt routing would stress out the alternator bearing
    -Check for sticking rear calipers - common on all hondas though.
    -Hands free telephone (HFT) bluetooth system can be faulty - difficult to pair and can drop out connection. Hard to test on a viewing though
    -Non slipping clutch - check for vibration from pedal when depressing clutch when moving off - would indicate a worn DMF
    -As mentioned - VSA unit. Check that the car has the updated VSA part number - if not it there a potential 300 ish bill to fix it if requires changing
    -As mentioned - vital regular oil changes
    -Check for rattling timing chains

Apart from the above the i-cdi engine is fantastic, quieter than most common diesels and generally much better than the German equivalents.
    Although quite dated now It doesn't have DPF and most should still give excellent service life

Nels, dbrooks65, Kris81 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks @Accord_N22 that is brilliant advice, I think I'm gonna run my accord CL9 for a while now, til I've saved up enough money to get a decent facelift ctdi.
    I love the comfort level and I think I will be able to do my commute there and back on 1 tank, at the minute I'm filling up all over the place!

17. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Your welcome kris.
    I currently get 56mpg on my commute to work (m25 and m40) half start stop traffic and half motorway run. 50 miles a day.
    I get over 600 miles quite easily from the tank. which means the tank lasts easily 2 weeks
    I think its pretty good. I run vpower diesel , have done since i bought the car, the ICTDI engine loves it.
    In the summer i can obtain around 59-61 MPG quite easily.
    Good luck, hope you find a good ICTDI when your ready. You could even push for the I-DTEC 8th Generation :Smile:

dbrooks65 and Nighthawk like this.
  18. Nighthawk Guest

Quite simply @Kris81 - the CTDi in the Accord is honestly brilliant. Might not be quite as refined as a petrol, granted, but its still a fine engine. Once you are moving, before you even exit first gear, it is so smooth under even casual acceleration that you would never be able to tell its a diesel.

Cold starts on icy mornings stand out more obviously, but once she is warmed up, she isnt really that noisy at all.

dbrooks65 and Accord_N22 like this.
  19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

PFL are great. FL are even better.
    The advice above is spot on, but finding a well cared for one will be the challenge...Unless you are able to wait until @Nighthawk is ready to part with his.

20. Nighthawk Guest

:Sobbing:
    - - - Updated - - -
    @Kris81 - if you want to see how she feels to drive, pop down and take her out.

A word of warning - any red line action will result very quickly with a slap around the head :Whistle:
    - - - Updated - - -
    .....with a brick... possibly two !

Nels, Accord_N22 and legend-ary like this.