Body, Paint & Styling faded red paint

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by white.akita, Wednesday 10th Jul, 2013.

1. white.akita Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi, my 2004 tourer has badly faded red paint that in now like pink !
    can these be power polished with g3 cutting compound ?

2. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hey bud
    To be honest I think it prob depends on how far gone it is. If it were me I would run it in to a reputable body stop and get it looked at. A good buff and polish might be all she needs to bring the paint work back but im no expert. You could do it your self but don't burn the paint work its easy done.

Good luck

3. white.akita Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks, I will call in a bodyshop tomorrow.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    All Milano red paint fade it a fact you could buff it up with it will fade in 6 months again. One advice I could give you don't use too aggressive compounds to get the shine up once the lacquer is off the base coat will be exposed and it will fade faster.

It a viscous cycle for all Milano red owners, the only permanent solution is a respray. Its the pink lacquer coat which fades and not the base coat.

5. white.akita Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I read in a few places that honda don't use lacquer on milano red, is that not true ?

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No this is not true R81 Milano red DOES have a clear coat. For that candy look the lacquer is pink in colour and not clear lacquer on solid colour or pearl finishes.

7. wkervick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Hi,
    I've got the same problem with my 05 accord, paint starting to fade a bit. Any idea roughly the kind of prices charged for a complete re-spray on a car this size?
    cheers!

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    In London look for a easy 4500 pounds for a full respray.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I know a place in London that do really good work, I can get a price for you if you like.

- - - Updated - - -

Hows this for service, I've just got a reply back ... full resprays start from £1200 upwards. I've heard good things about the work these guys do. They are called AutoPhix .. here's their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ZackAutoPhix check out some of their projects on there.

Contact them to get a more accurate quote.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I recently had a friend restore an 80s Vauxhall Nova from "pink" back to bright glossy red. He used a very small amount of T-Cut and the rest was just glaze (Meguiars) and polish (Super Resin, Auto Glym). The professional way to do it is to measure the paint depth, then slowly and carefully cut it back with a machine polisher. He did it by hand and it can have great results nonetheless.

£1500-2000 I've heard touted a few times for basic resprays, the really high prices are often for a colour change which is a lot more involved (sills, boot etc. need doing too) or if there's also repair/sanding work needed. Shop about!

11. wkervick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    wow not cheap, i guess i could stomach £1200 but not much more considering my car not worth a whole lot. I've taken a note of those autophix people though, they look good, cheers for the info.

12. white.akita Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had a detailer out to me yesterday who tried for over 1 hour to power polish just the drivers side wing which was no better when he was finished.
    his various cutting compounds did absolutely nothing !
    after a few phone calls he came back saying that it would need a full respray because the paint had faded under the tough lacquer.
    I can get full resprays for £1000 but im not spending that much on it.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Tough Lacquer and Honda paints just does not go together bud, it the lacquer which is faded not the paint ask any Honda approved body shop and they will know about this . £1000 respray well that really cheap what products are they using and is that painted in a booth?

14. white.akita Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

no idea about products but that is my friend painting it in a booth, he does bodywork for a living but I wouldn't spend £1000 on it.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Could you post his details on the forum please .

16. stratos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Worcs
    If the Red paintwork is known to fade, is this not an issue for Honda to resolve??

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    In warranty yes outside warranty No.