Engine & Gearbox Failing to start

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by si_d_2003, Wednesday 24th Aug, 2016.

1. si_d_2003 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey,I have a 2007 cdti. Over the last couple of months the car has struggled to start every now and then. I have to keep turning it over longer than normal and it coughs and splutters. The EML comes on and when previously scanned it came up with crank sensor. It would always start after turning it over again though. I changed the crank sensor and it seemed ok but then 2 or 3 weeks later it did it again. The EML light stays on for a day and then goes out again.
    Any one had any similar issues?

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    And does the EML come on because of a DTC relating to the crank sensor again?

Where did you get the replacement crank sensor from?

3. si_d_2003 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am going to scan it tomorrow but I would say so, its doing exactly the same. I got the sensor from allparts made by bosch.

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Let us know what the DTC is then! But if it is the same (P0339?) then I guess it must be something related to the sensor, such as the connector or the loom?

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Timing chain stretch? Out of time?

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Have you actually seen chain stretch on a Honda I-CTDI cause this? My camchain was very stretched and making a horrible noise, but I never got this problem.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Not as such but it is a possibility assuming the wiring and sensor are ok.

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I wouldn't expect a stretched timing chain to cause an intermittent starting problem and DTC.

9. si_d_2003 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, i have P0339 permanent cranksensor fault. Problem is when I replaced the sensor I checked the wiring and the condition and it's fine. And if there was a break in the wire or water ingress it would fail to start more often, it has never cut out when driving either.
    I'm a bit baffled

10. si_d_2003 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The thing is if the chain was stretched it would be out of time all the time, and cause poor starting everytime. My car does this once a week, if that.

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Yes, it would. And the timing chain makes a horrible noise when it stretches. In any case, that DTC refers to an intermittent electrical problem and not a timing fault.

How about other connectors along the wiring loom and also onto the ECU? Check them as well.

I guess that the new sensor itself could be faulty, although I realise that this is unlikely.