General Falken Tyres

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by steve4536, Monday 29th Dec, 2014.

1. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The CR-V is being treated to a new set of boots tomorrow, currently I have Michi's on the front and Continentals on the rear. Not a good combination plus the Michi's are starting to crack up on the side walls.
    I've just ordered some mid range Falkens 225/65/17. Reasons being, I don't do big mileage and I don't go off road and they have a good comparison check to other brands. For £450.00 all in (fitting, new valves and balancing) I didn't think that's a bad price.
    Just wondered if anyone else has used them before and what sort of opinions could be given.

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 29th Dec, 2014
  2. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry just realised the header and tyre description should read Falken; DOH! :Epic Fail:

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Edited the title for you

There have been lots of threads about tyres on here so I will keep my opinion to myself as they are something I feel very passionate about but it is nice to see someone changing all four tyres in one go - thats the only way I personally go when I have to change tyres. Falken are a Japanese made tyre - never used them myself.

Not sure if you are interested but you can get premium tyres for an extra £18 all round from what I have just found - Goodyear efficient grips - £468 fully fitted. (unsure of your speed rating)

Let us know how the Falken tyres are.

Last edited: Monday 29th Dec, 2014
  4. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nighthawk; Thanks for the editing.
    I did look at the Goodyear, The charts that I was shown amazingly, showed Goodyear, Bridgestone and Michelin an inferior tyre when it came to wet braking?? The branded tyres have probably more durability in the long term, but the type of driving I do will probably outlast the tread on the Falkens after the side walls start to perish.
    I totally agree about changing all 4 at the same time. The boots I currently have on are the ones when I bought the CR-V.
    The only time I splash out on premium tyres, are on the motorcycle. It is essential two wheels are rooted to the tarmac and that's an expense I don't mind dishing out for.
    I will however give feedback on the Falkens.

5. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

A merry new year to you all. Well, the Falkens are nice and bedded into the rims and all the slippy stuff is off. Can't comment on wear yet, only done about 100 miles but they look the part and makes the CR-V feel well planted. The only criticism so far is the road noise, they are rated at 71db, but for a semi budget mid ranged tyre I can put up with that.
    Does anybody happen to know the torque settings for the wheel nuts because I'm going to go round the wheels tomorrow just to make sure they're not going to fall of.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @Ichiban will probably be the best person who can confirm the torque settings for you.

Happy new year too.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Wheel nut torque for Hondas is generally 80ft/lbs or 108Nm.

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    I have Falkens on mine - they came with the car. The rears were new; not sure about the fronts. Have done 13K now (in six months) - both front and rear seem to be fine. I would consider quieter tyres next time; the only reason is that I would want to maximise the luxury feel to the vehicle, and I do spend a lot of time on the motorway.

9. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    I have used Falken 452's in 205/45/17's on my old EP3 Type-R and found them to wear slightly quicker than the Bridgestone's but they performed slightly better and of course were cheaper. Also used Falken 453's in 235/45/17's on a BMW E39 525i and they performed really well and still had plenty of life left in them after 13,000 miles.

10. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've done a few miles on them since having them fitted, not enough to comment on wear-ability. The noise of the tyres are the only drawback for me. They did perform very well just recently in a bit of snow and ICE but that was also probably due to the 4WD kicking in occasionally.
    Thinking about it,are the tyres that noisy or is the CR-V just too quiet? :eek: