Tyres & Wheels False DWS alarms

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by 155695, Thursday 14th Apr, 2016.

1. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I've mentioned this on here before but I can't find the post now.

A few times not long after I bought the car, the DWS alarmed for no reason. I re-set it and eventually it settled down. I thought I might have similar problems when I fitted my winter wheels set-up (17" Dezents with 60 Nokians) but when I changed over I re-set the system and it never alarmed once. I have now changed back to the original wheels/tyres (19" Orions with 45 Yokohamas) and after re-setting it, it has now alarmed twice when on a run of 60-80 miles for no reason, i.e. tyre pressures are as you would expect, that is somewhat higher than as set but nothing out of the ordinary after a longish run.

It seems (like me) it just doesn't like the wheel/tyre set up the car came with. IIRC 1st Honda had a similar problem when he got his new but as far as I know he hasn't reported a re-occurrence.

The car is going in for its 1st service on 18 May, so I'll mention it to the dealer then but in the meantime I wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if they found a reason/remedy.

Keith

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

You are quite right @155695 - I did have this exact issue with my (short-lived) first CR-V. I haven't experienced it with my current one (the replacement).

I'm sure there was a software update to cure the issue, but what is odd is that it affects the original wheels and tyres. I was told by my dealer - who I trust - that the system is sensitive to temperature changes, so it could just be the fact that it is much warmer all of a sudden.

3. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Well it has got to 18 in the last couple of days so I suppose it could be that but we'll see what the dealer has to say.

Keith

4. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Just been out and checked the tyre pressures, all OK so I tried to re-set the system and it wouldn't have until about the 5th attempt when it suddenly came up "completed". I tried to re-set it again just to see what would happen and again it wouldn't have it, however the warning has now cleared.

It's obvious therefore that there is a problem with the warning system. In a way that's a good result because I now know it is nothing to do with the tyres and the dealer can sort it when I take it to be serviced. If it alarms in the meantime, if I can't re-set it l'll just ignore it (having checked of course that there isn't actually a puncture - sod's law and all that).

Keith

5. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Out of interest I just checked the last Which? members' car survey and the commonest problem reported on the 4th generation CR-V was with the DWS. Apparently 7% of responders had problems with this item. So in CR-V terms it seems fairly common.

Keith