Track Project FAMILY/RACECAR

7th Generation (2003-2008) vehicle added by K24 CL9 GUY, Saturday 13th Dec, 2014

1. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    K24 CL9 GUY added a new Honda to the garage:

FAMILY/RACECAR

Check the vehicle's full information here.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The DC5R gearbox itself won't bolt up, there's not enough clearance from the chassis. You'd need to swap out the counter/main-shaft and final drive into the CL9 casing. The thing is, a DC5R gearbox is around £750 and uses the same ratios as an EP3 gearbox, which tend to go for around £200-300. The only difference is that the DC5R box comes with an OEM LSD, whereas only the JDM spec EP3 did.

I elected to use an EP3 box as the donor, and use a better aftermarket LSD as the price is around the same all-in. I'm in the process of going through it all now, together with porting my old lightweight flywheel and Exedy Stage 1 clutch, and other bits from my old '03. You'll find a massive write-up on it starting here.

Best out of the box performing CAI because it closely follows the stock throttle body diameter for optimum flow. They are quite loud mind. If you do go for a larger TB, I'd say go for a larger CAI - otherwise you negate any possible gains, sticking with the stock TB - it's the perfect choice.

It's kinda a step backwards in a few ways, the RBB cams you have at the moment are great for low-end torque, with a set of RBC cams (K20A) you'll gain a bit on the high-end, but your low-end will suffer greatly, it's not worth the trade-off in a heavy chassis. The CL9 intake cam design was improved on for the Facelift TSX, they are the highest lift stock K-Series cams of all and number one choice for most engine builders who want OEM components. Personally, I would go for CU2 (8th Generation) cams as they have even better low-end torque albeit with a slight trade-off on the high-end, my logic is that you spend a lot longer in the lower end of the band than you do at the top. That torque to get you going is more important.

CU2 cams require CU2 50° VTC, that's something else you need to address anyway if going the tuning route, the stock RBB VTC is only 25 degrees.

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Have you done all these mods on the car yourself?

4. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Sorry @Nighthawk have only just seen this comment and no mate had the brakes, wheels, lowering springs and DC5 steering wheel on it already when bought it and if ment have I put them on myself.... Hell no lol just pay others to do it for me :Smile:

5. Nighthawk Guest

I do like the colour of @DeviateDefiant Type-R - looks fantastic when the sunlight hits it just right. Plasti dip I personally wouldn't like doing on my car and I would personally rather save up the extra cash and get the paint job done properly.

I am sure others will have different thoughts on this.

6. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Your probably right to be honest mate to not rush to get it done quicker and save up n get the real deal. Pirate black would be cool for sure buy Cadburys Purple is my favourite so would be tempted to go for that :Smile:

7. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Hey guys I was going to do a full write up of how I put this Strut brace in as was a bit of a faff as had to remove or loosen a few parts to be able to get it into position.

I will not bother tho as the end result was not good so is more of a warning than a guide.

You will see that in the picture of the item I bought on ebay against when had just unwrapped it are a completely different design. You will also see at the very bottom they were aware there had been a change in the design and someone has already complained.

After spending about an hour undoing everything required to be able to get the brace into position then tighten it all back up again. I had just put all the tools away and was pleased had managed to conquer getting it in myself until.....
    I went to drive away and there was a horrendous noise, alot of shaking and the car wasn't driving right at all. I slowly pulled it back inside the workshop, opened up the bonnet and looked for the cause. You will see in the pics that the left side of the brace is actually touching the left corner of the engine meaning that it wasn't free to move and sent the vibration through the whole car and imagine would have caused alot of damage if had it running for any longer than I did so I strongly recommend to avoid buying this Strut brace.

Hope this will help stop anyone else having a scary night like I have had.

Guy.

View attachment 35240

View attachment 35241

View attachment 35242

View attachment 35243

View attachment 35244

View attachment 35239

View attachment 35245

View attachment 35246

View attachment 35247

View attachment 35248

View attachment 35249

View attachment 35250

View attachment 35252

View attachment 35254

View attachment 35255

View attachment 35256

View attachment 35257

8. Nighthawk Guest

Has it made any difference to the handling?

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Read the guide mate, it didn't fit at all as Ultra Racing has changed the design.

@K24 CL9 GUY, sounds like you had one bugger of a day mate. Shame about the fitment, a lot of people have had great success with the old design and it's highly recommended. Nice one for trying to inform others, might not be best suited to a guide so one of the staff might turn it into a normal thread instead. What's next? You going to try another?

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  10. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Yeah was a shame as did look quite nice but my god did I have a shock when tried to pull away :-o
    Not sure about another one does anyone know of one that definitely fits lol :Tongue:

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  12. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Screenshot_2015-02-06-12-36-24.

Look what I have just found for sale on eBay.... Think I will email them to say definitely does NOT fit a CL9 ;-)

13. PhillipM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phillip Rotherham
    Not entirely surprising for UR, they do have quite a trend of selling shite that doesn't fit.

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  14. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

K24 CL9 GUY updated FAMILY/RACECAR

View updates to this showcase item...

15. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Hey guy's after your views on the best Coilovers to go for that aren't too pricey and not extremely stiff as are many speedbumps in Gloucester :-(

Would like to have adjustable ones so can get the perfect height but imagine unless spend a lot might not be an option?

Have have seen the following for just over £500 what you think?
    Screenshot_2015-02-17-18-46-41.

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'd go for BC Racing personally, stellar build quality and you can ask them to make up whatever spring rates you want :Smile:

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  17. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Seems everyone i have asked have a different opinion lol :Tongue:

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well what are some of your other recommendations?

19. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

1. Tein street advance - me as only £500
    2. BC BRs - you and few on forums/reviews
    3. Tein super street - few of my mates
    4. MeisterR Zeta Rs - my mate with the supercharged Civic and forums/reviews
    5. Buddyclub N+ - forum's/reviews
    6. HSD - @mudfx

20. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

When I told my mates about the street advance they said that the super street's are best but if read the following the advance are an evolution of the super so would imagine better? Also I can't find the super street's or the MeisterR for mine? Plus I don't wana pay over £600 if can help it ;-)
    - - - Updated - - -
    Screenshot_2015-02-18-13-24-21.