General Fathers Day @ Brands Hatch(public track time)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MickyB, Wednesday 24th Jun, 2015.

1. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well this was not only Father's Day but also round 3 of the UK time attack series and Tunerfest South car show.
    There were a number of issues, the format of TA is there are 4 x 20 minute sessions (2 practice,1 qualifying and 1 final) this was suppose to run integrated with the public Track sessions x 3,20 minutes. Because of over interest in PTT the officials cut the TA sessions to 15 minutes,this led to a number of top drivers pulling out of the event everything in running the cars is closely ran and to lose 20 minutes of race time is not good especially when the officials then declared that the time would be given up as PTT.
    Most teams arrived on Friday and started to set up, which is normal for TA only to be told that they just had to park up as there was some other meeting happening on Saturday and they could not take up the pit area(bad considering how much TA pay for these weekends) and also the drivers.
    They were finally allowed into the pits on Saturday at 1930hrs and had 1 hour to prepare their cars for scrutineering considering some teams have travelled from as far away as Cyprus to compete and they had an hour to prepare.
    Anyway they all managed and things got under way pretty smoothly on Sunday. With the extra PTT session taking place.
    I Bet This Guy Wishes they hadn't had the extra session !!!!!!

2. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    what a numpty
    overtaking at the braking point at paddock :dribble:then trying to turn out of the gravel at speed instead of just running with it?? put an idiot behind the wheel then present him with a crowd to impress........................its always going to end in tears
    BRSCC Club Car Championships will alway take priority over a TA events they represent a large percentage of motor racing of all classes at all of our circuits around the country and its thanks to the likes of these major clubs that race tracks are still open in this country so that the likes of trackdays and TA events are able to have a bit of fun too
    the BRSCC was established in 1946 the TA scene was created in and first recognized in the uk in 2010 and in the motor sport world seen by most as a glorified trackday a race circuit was for cars to race over a number of laps to test the drivers skills in overtaking and car control at constant high speeds also to test the reliabilty of the the machines they raced at these constant high speed
    so i think the TA series has a long long way to go before they will ever claim dibs on the pits over curciut racing clubs

MickyB and Nighthawk like this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    :Thumbup:

4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Did he lock his wheels up?

5. Nighthawk Guest

He turned into the gravel, all the weight of the car was on the nearside, he turned right trying to maintain a line, the nearside front dug in and with all the weight and momentum of the car on that side and corner, it caused the car to overbalance and flip. When you lose control like that, the safest thing to do is to keep the car as straight as possible and not to unbalance it. Unbalance a car and you risk flipping it. In his case, he was going to fast, and the speed and momentum went against him as the nearside nose dug in, slowing down quickly, whereas the rest of the car didnt.

Love it how some people think that driving fast is just about planting your foot on the floor

HondaHeritage likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Aye, but it seemed like he locked his wheel coming upto the corner as he was going to fast and braked late which is why possibly he couldn't go round and went straight into gravel.

7. Nighthawk Guest

Yeah, he overcooked it for sure, also his position was wrong, he was set himself up for the wrong line through that corner, but he was definetely going too fast and he panicked. Counter intuitive, but slow in means fast out. Lack of skill for sure.

Tyres can only do one of three things at any point in time when on their limits. They can either brake, corner or accelerate. Exceed more than one of those limits when the tyres are on their limit and you will lose traction. Braking into a corner at high speeds is a guarenteed crash. Brake before the corner, attain your entry speed, come off the brakes before you turn, allowing the car to settle naturally, then turn in, applying the power gently as you do so which allows the car to settle into the turn more, applying more power as you start to straighten out. The straighter the wheels become, the more power you apply when leaving. What you don't do is go as fast as you can, slam on brakes and then turn. :Laughing:

Last edited: Thursday 25th Jun, 2015
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Sums up alot of EP3 owners these days IMO, they have fallen into the barryboys hands due to price falls, most of whom think they are racing drivers :wanker:. Lots around my area now, who are always speeding around thinking they are Paul Walker.

9. Nighthawk Guest

Yup, what they don't seem to realise is that a fast car doesnt make you a good driver. It takes no skill to floor it in a straight line.

exec likes this.
  10. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    apart form a good understanding on how to drive a car and good common sense maybe youve done a few trackday events or even raced ?????
    if so do share your experiences

11. Nighthawk Guest

Without going into too much detail, never done a track day, but I am a trained high speed driver with thousands of pounds worth of training and too many years of experience behind me

MickyB and HondaHeritage like this.
  12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You are doing a job i always wanted to do.
    Too late for me now but it's been my ambition a long time,sadly it never happened.

Nighthawk likes this.
  13. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    used to kart race regularly with a close friend years ago who had some finely honed driving skills, displayed a small black rat sticker on his rear car window am i on the same page ?

14. Nighthawk Guest

Yup, thats the one :Laughing::Whistle:

15. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    :Smile:

16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Sigh.... one and a half weeks to go... why'd i have to go and watch that... and a 7th Generation Civic too....

17. Nighthawk Guest

@tviracing has more track experience than me, but I would imagine you are going to build up to those speeds slowly and at a level you are comfortable with. You need to learn to read your car and know how she is going to react and learn to recognise and interpret the warning signs she gives you when you are pushing her too hard. No sudden movements, just keep things nice and smooth, that way she will remain balanced and you significantly lower the chance of something going wrong.

That EP3 driver was just an idiot, no idea at all of how to drive a car properly.

18. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Don't worry Roger you'll be fine.
    There's a newspaper report from the Kent Times about this saying about him racing and his reply was he wasn't racing anyone just enjoying the experience.
    There's a number of comments that I've looked at on various forums one being MLR (spit for mentioning that) saying he was racing other cars and I got the best response from my Daughter who was there and witnessed it she even has a number of photographs which if you put together lap after lap he WAS racing with an Astra!!!!!!!!
    So yes he is a Muppet and obviously he doesn't know the meaning of the word racing....
    The car was actually listed on EBay as well since gone so don't know if he's sold it or what....all I can say is Poor Honda

19. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes but if you think about it Time Attack has been around for years??? It's called Hill Climb or even Goodwood festival of speed!
    Video: On board Gobstopper II for its winning FoS run! | Goodwood Road & Racing
    See

20. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    hi micky
    careful matey your dipping your toes in hot water there with the hillcllimb boys
    there is no simularity at all between the two events

hillclimb

hillclimb generally only two practice runs
    one car on the track at a time
    standing start

time attack
    from what I've read (which is very little)

countless laps of pratice
    numerous car on the track at the same time ( but not racing ?) and have to flash your light for people to get out of the way ? so you can do your timed lap ?
    moving timed lap ( no standing start to prove controlled clutch, traction and fast pulloff)

my personal veiws on goodwood festival of speed is you could not pay me to go there rich mans play ground invite only to race
    the hillclimb has no prior history before 1993 and was devised for rich guests to race around the estate
    i once a year event ? if it was a proper hillcimb venue it would have a yearly calender for ALL hillclimb clubs to race at ,elitest ,egotistcal and a parade of obscene wealth etc etc etc and the biggest slap in the face to grass root racing
    sorry in a driver that has not pots of money to obtain an international race licence to compete on a national circuit???
    my support goes to national and club racing which are the real back bone of our national circuits
    sorry mickey just mpov .....raptor back in his cage:Grin:

MickyB likes this.