General fault code reader

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by jbtb, Wednesday 18th Mar, 2015.

1. jbtb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom john batt Uxbridge
    Hi all I now have a petrol CR-V (52 plate ) what I need to know can anyone tell me what budget code reader I can purchase to read and reset fault codes ? There are many available on eBay but the seller's tell me they are not compatible with my model !
    I want a reader as the engine management light is on !
    Also can anyone advise on a squeaky clutch pedal ?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Why do they say that ?

Second gen CR-V will be OBD2 so any OBD reader should do the job I would think.

3. jbtb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have no idea ! I haven't used one before so I ask ! I'm just trying to cut costs of going to garages and being ripped off ! So I'm after one that reads and resets after repair! .

4. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    I have an Autel MS309 which I have used for a variety of vehicles and will do what you want I think I paid about £20 on ebay.

5. jbtb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

6. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    Sounds like they don't know what they are talking about I have yet to find a vehicle it won't work with I haven't tried it on a petrol Honda but it does work on my diesel. As Speedygee said your car is OBD2/EOBD so any OBD2 tester should be OK.

7. djberney Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I might have to get one of these. My engine management light just came on, but it might have something to do with the exhaust being damaged. Does anyone know the best place for an exhaust (back box, centre and cat - 02 plate 2.0 petrol manual)

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They can be related but for the MIL to come on it could be the o2 sensor a blowing muffler will not cause it. However get the ECU read to determine the 02 sensor has failed or you have another issue which is causing this issue.

As for exhaust boxes you have loads of aftermarket option and exhaust places who will knock up a system for a cheap and cheerful price..

9. djberney Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheap and cheerful exhaust! My local place wanted £600 for back box, centre and cat. The light went off again today so till I get a code reader I won't know what it was. I'm looking round for a better price.