General Fight the cold weather: how do you do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by i-DSI, Sunday 20th Jan, 2013.

1. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Wonder how you fight the cold. Took a picture for other thread this afternoon (your Accord in the snow), but as this picture also shows how I fight the cold temp: just wondering what do you do (if there's anything at all you do:Smile:)?
    1) cover the windshield with a simple cotton sheet
    2) plugged in the DEFA engine block heater (cable on the picture)
    3) grille block of the the under grille
    4) all year long: 0W20 in the sump
    Wouldn't advise point 3 in case you drive very long high speed distances or if you have no clue of actual engine temp. I monitor engine coolant temp constantly with the Torque app on my smart phone for safety reasons. Noticed nothing special with the cover so far. Top part of the grille is still open and it's freezing.
    Snow Jan 2013.

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

None of the above,not using my car in this weather.

Malibu likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I don't bother covering the windscreen with anything. Just start the engine set the seat warmers and set it to demister on, with a plastic scraper gently remove the frost. By the time I am finished the car is Luke warm and a mile down the road it s nice and toasty.
    I am still sticking with 0w-20 and the results are superb top end punch and excellent mileage too, just order bulk oil from Honda for the 4k oil change.

I will get the block heater soon

4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    It's indeed amazing how fast this car warms up! Never had anything like this. My Civic petrol takes ages to get warm compared to the Accord.
    I put the sheet to safe some time and not get my hands cold before leaving to work.
    0W20: correct. Engine is fuel efficient, runs incredibly and makes high revs as it's build for (maybe it is...).

5. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'm sorry... Am I reading this right???

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    My cars currently sitting under a carport nice and dry. It hasn't seen a snow flake yet. :Grin:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yes :Crazy:

8. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

9. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No need for drastic steps. It's a Honda so it will cope just fine.

I use my smart charger on the battery overnight once a fortnight between November and February each year, and rain repellant on the windscreen greatly reduces frost and snow in the mornings. And I swap the carpet mats for rubber ones. Apart from that I just do as normal.

I think there's a very good argument for using winter tyres over the cold months. Not something I do yet but I may well start doing within the next couple of years.

10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    It wasn't meant as drastic steps it just so happens that I haven't needed to use my car since it started to snow and it's nicely covered over. :Smile:

But it looks like I'll be doing a 400 mile round trip in it next week which should be interesting.

11. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    My CR-V is snug and warm in the garage. I haven't been out since the snow came, and I'm hoping not to. Plenty of food in the house, but if the delivery of dog food doesn't arrive on Wednesday then I'll just have to get out.

12. thumper Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Essex
    Well I've been using rainX to help keep frost off, active8 oil additive to help cold start engine wear and winter tyres ( Avon ICE touring) and they are nothing short or fantastic.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just off the record is active8 oil additive a miracle of science or just a glorified snake oil?

I just don't believe those destruction spinning wheel in dipped in oil..any thoughts?

14. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I wouldn't use these kind of additives personally - a quality synthetic oil has adherent properties anyway - but each to their own.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  16. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Small update:
    - the grill block is more effective than I thought... engine temp went to 94°C, while normally it's always between 90 and 92°C. Message: be carefull with this, especially on trips >20 miles. Will leave it for this week as they annouce hard freezing from Wednesday on, including the weekend.
    - winter tyres: that's indeed the one missing thing on my car. I'm looking to buy a set. Might as well be 2nd hand and no hurries. There will be another winter next year also.
    - 0W20 is by far the best you can put in this car (petrol 2.0 i-VTEC) to have a minimum cold start engine wear. I believe the manual states any additives (fuel or oil) are not allowed. And they are not necessary if you follow Honda's recommendations. Might even be harmful for your engine.