Detailing Finally clayed and polished

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by P11YLJ, Saturday 12th Sep, 2015.

1. P11YLJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom sussex
    After owning my accord for two and bit years I have finally managed to get a bit of time to try and sort out the paintwork.

Only managed to sort out one side today so her are a few close up reflection shots of it looking a lot better.

Please ignore the hideous arch gap, I do plan to rectify this as soon as I can sort out the funds.
    WP_20150912_002.
    WP_20150912_003. WP_20150912_004. WP_20150912_005.

FirstHonda, Ichiban and Nels like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good work @P11YLJ make sure you give her a coat of wax once you're done polishing :Smile:

P11YLJ likes this.
  3. P11YLJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom sussex
    Yet all clayed, polished and then used some dodo juice wax, before trying out some opti seal I have sat around and never used. Finally the paint is smooth and protected.

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. Alexknight91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alex Norwich
    That clay certainly looks to have done a job! What do you use?

P11YLJ likes this.
  5. P11YLJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom sussex
    I used bilt hamber clay which I think was the medium version. This one only needs water as a lubricant according to the instructions but I still used the meguairs nxt quick detailed that I had spare. I had to fold the clay in on itself a number of times and that was just the passenger. New bit of clay required for the rest of the car now though!

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sounds like it's not been clayed for sometime.

P11YLJ likes this.
  7. P11YLJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom sussex
    Not for a very long time as I haven't previously done it and no idea if previous owner did. Glad I have got it done now though.

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I use the medium bilt hamber clay bar as well - always done a great job and is perfectly happy using just water as lubricant.

FirstHonda and P11YLJ like this.
  9. P11YLJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom sussex
    It is a good product and always does what I need it too.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Another vote for the Bilt-Hamber clay here...:Thumbup:

P11YLJ likes this.
  11. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    You used the whole bar and you still need more?
    you should cut the bar into 6 pieces and use a piece at a time folding it on itself all the time looking for cleaner bits of clay. Half a bar should be enough for a whole car

P11YLJ and Nels like this.
  12. P11YLJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom sussex
    Hi @wanner69 it was just the last of the clay bar I had which I had previously split into 4 or 5 bits. I had two bits left but when I came to use it I found the last couple of bits had melted inside the box so was a case of getting out what I could. The rest is pretty useless now so need a new box.

The first pic is after folding it over a number of times already having done other sections. I have never had a car this bad before though so was quite shocked at how much came off and how dirty the clay kept getting.

Thanks for the feedback though.

13. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Ah ok. Buddy, I used to use bilt hamber bars but have since moved onto the G3 clay mitt, far quicker and easier than traditional bars

P11YLJ likes this.
  14. P11YLJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom sussex
    I saw something about this on one of the detailing sites on Facebook recently. I guess you can't keep folding it over for a clean section though. Is it a case of one car per mitt as the clay is part of the mitt?

15. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    The mitt will be good for quite a few cars, have a search on you tube for how to's etc

P11YLJ likes this.
  16. P11YLJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom sussex
    As I need a new clay bar I may give the mitt a go and see how I get on with it then. If it works then I may treat the wife's car to a bit of a clean.

17. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    It works a treat

P11YLJ likes this.
  18. P11YLJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom sussex
    New update to this thread coming soon then once I have purchased and had the time to actually use it.

wanner69 likes this.
  19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:likeit:

wanner69 likes this.