Jazz Finding Silicone Grease on the High Street?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by legend-ary, Saturday 23rd Apr, 2016.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
  2. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    From having a read around, something that is safe to use with the rubber seals for the pins?
    Maplins seem to have it in tubes rather than the spray style, if you need it in a hurry maybe there is a local branch: Servisol Multi Purpose Silicone Grease 50g Tube | Maplin Hope this is the right stuff, there can't be too many types?

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I did manage to find spray style types but was looking for tubes as that seemed like what everyone has been using. Thanks for the link :Niceone:
    my local store actually has some so if anyone can confirm this is ok I'll go get it :Smile:

BB Baboonface likes this.
  4. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Just scouring the net for answers, seen a few folk that have used that stuff in the absence of "red rubber grease" Trying to find some concrete confirmation...

5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Hmm... yeah sounds very similar stuff but I am just wary that automotive type might be formulated to withstand brake temperatures while this is more of a household type.. maybe..
    Tbh I have actually never taken brakes apart so if I can't find the right type I will deffer the job until next weekend so I have the right tools at hand.

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I used this one and it was recommended on here by CJ,Speedy,Nighthawk etc.

Nighthawk and legend-ary like this.
  7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Thanks for that. It looks like I am better off delaying the job until the eBay order arrives as I can't find this stuff in local shops..

8. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Know what you mean, if it is an unfamiliar task you want to have the right tools in the armoury.
    Just read a post stating that the stuff in the link is much thicker than the carlube stuff, not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Good luck with the job anyway, gotta do my pads again this weekend, done it once but still nervous!

legend-ary likes this.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

:Smile: Good luck with the job and thanks for doing the searches!

BB Baboonface likes this.
  10. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks man! Like try and help out :Smile:
    I'm sure you will get to grips with the brakes soon (lol?) Limited experience so far, but once you get started it eases the apprehension about the importance of the task.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think Screwfix do stuff also.

12. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    What's a high street :Wink: us young folk never leave the house.
    Everything is delivered for free :Smile:
    I purchased some m3 brake silicone for mine delivered to my door :Wink:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  13. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not sure if you will get the best solution on high street. You can maybe get the sachets through an autofactor when buying the brake components.

I similarly have been scouring the place and internet to find out whats the correct silicone grease to put on the guide pins. There seems to be alot of in mis-information and speculation online .its difficult to get concenus.out of all the recommendations these seem to be my top 4.

1:Honda 08C30-B0234M0..available from states through amazon and ebay..its expensive to buy and ship though.

2: Threebond premium silicon grease recommended through here on similar thread. Its on ebay and other sites ,but i couldn't ship oversees to Ireland. Doesnt specifically mention use on pins on the description but seems to meet other common criteria for brakes.

3.SIL-glyde brake lubicant . Available from the states through ebay etc.its an all round grease for brakes ..so pins as well as backs of pads etc. I think i would however stick with the recimmended on the others though (Honda M-77) .Not sure if anyone here has used SIL -glyde brake lubricant here though

4.The last one i found searching a bit further into Molykotes offerings. They have one grease that is specific to this job G-3407 but that bad boy is only available to manufacturers believe. There us another one revommended in their datasheets. This is 111 compound .this is available online and seens to be what jaguar use for guide pins.

I have ordered the 111 but it will be a whike before i get to doing the brakes.

Attached Files:

legend-ary likes this.
  14. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

15. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have bought this myself at one stage but never used it for the pins .thought it wasnt suitable for friction surfaces.. it detailed on back of tube i have. Wasnt sure what way to take that and i also seen it detailed as more of an anti squeal grease. Seems an odd warning for a lube☺. Sounds like it works though if we have multiple people using it without issue

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've been using Bosch SuperFit on slider pins for a long time and whenever I gone back to do the brakes again, the pins have still been sliding well. It lasts, it works and is rubber friendly, so I can;t see an issue with it.

legend-ary and mcgowanp like this.
  17. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I got some Bosch Superfit after hearing about it from @Ichiban . Must say its brilliant stuff.

Ichiban and mcgowanp like this.
  18. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys. Seems there us alot of concenus which is great as at least this is easy to get..do you have an idea about what the friction warning refers to. probaby just means don't put on disc surface or pad fruction surfaces do the stopping. Facepalm

Attached Files:

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That simply means, don't get grease onto the friction part of your pads or onto the disc itself.

mcgowanp likes this.
  20. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Yup, you are correct - thats all the warning means. don't let it contact the friction material on the pads or on the surface of the discs.
    - - - Updated - - -
    :Laughing: - snap @SpeedyGee

legend-ary and mcgowanp like this.