General First car fine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Thursday 14th Apr, 2016.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yesterday I got a nice little penalty notice fine come through the letterbox. :brickwall: In 9 years I have been driving and 5 years of car ownership this is my first fine! Frustraingly it was all avoidable and I blame my sister, the fine was for stopping on a red route, I had stopped to pick up my sister but she took 15 minutes to arrive rather than "ready"!

None the less I will be looking at appealing and seeing if I can get waved, £65 if I pay it early to tfl mugs, they get enough money from me from their rip off public transport fees so I won't be handing out more free cash to them so easily. :Rant:

2. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    It's better to get fines than points. How does the letter read and is there a picture?

exec likes this.
  3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    that is annoying. Although I would agree than fine is better than points but then again the fines are a bit too heavy handed I think. Lord save us all from these pesky buggers

exec and DrSam like this.
  4. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Its good to know your first car is OK!

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    On what grounds are you going to appeal @exec ?
    - - - Updated - - -
    :Rolf:

exec and Nighthawk like this.
  6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Sorry to hear about your fine @exec however @SpeedyGee is right. Stopping on the red route is prohibited regardless and we all have to abide by the same rules within society. If it was an absolute emergency, then you might have a chance of winning an appeal against it.

Best of luck however and keep us updated

exec likes this.
  7. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I would think that they have a video rather than a picture

£65 is a lot, maybe get your sister to pay it ?

exec likes this.
  8. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
  9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What's a red route must be a southern thing I presume. Did Boris bring them in?
    Will it impact on your insurance too?

exec likes this.
  10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

same as single and double yellow, but hellish more restricted
    AFAIK they are also found in the Birmingham Metropolitan area (and possibly Manchester), and Edinburgh has something similar
    it's a "parking" offence

exec and MickyB like this.
  11. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Remind me not to go to London then.

exec likes this.
  12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

what about Birmingham and Edinburgh ?

Walsall FAQ Red Routes FAQ

you'll also get done driving in a bus lanes in loads of cities up and down the country

exec likes this.
  13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll give them a miss too.
    I know about the bus lanes just wish they would instruct the bus drivers in Wakefield the correct procedure when in them.
    All of them here have double dotted lines across the exits which in anyone's books means Give Way!!!
    Do they ?
    No I'm pulling out cause I'm bigger than your car and you'll poo yourself when I do.
    A friend of mine is a bus driver and he told me they have been told to give way when exiting s bus lane, and that the please allow the bus to pull out sign on the back is actually NOT law but most bus drivers think they have right of way when in fact they don't.
    A friend of my daughter had a very very close shave he was passing a bus which had stopped at a stop in s bus lane as he passed the driver was talking to a passenger on the footplate ( illegal) and just pulled off without even looking. He almost broadsided the guy.
    He got the details of the bus and went to the local depot to report him. To which he got the typical stick together shit oh I'll have a word with him but it's your word against his which he knew would mean nothing would happen. As he went back to his car there was a van parked next to it with a young guy in it, as he approached it the guy got out and ask if it was him that had the do with the bus on telling him it was and what had just happened the guy said well this might help your cause taking him to the van he discovered it was fully fitted with front rear and side cameras which had caught everything even the person on the footplate so he promptly went back brought the manager out and showed him the footage and said you take action against this driver or I take this to the police.
    My friend the bus driver told me that the guy was unemployed???

exec likes this.
  14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The letter is a proper tfl issued fine in contravention of rule 46. They psot a CCTV image of you in the act and you can request the video footage itself for a fee.

I know stopping on a red route is wrong, although I see it pretty much all the time, usually by black cab drivers who are above the law and can do whatever they want. I stopped in marked parking bay area where I have stopped many time before to drop/collect family, that place is literally the only place in that area where you can stop to pick people or load, all other roads are congestion road too. Add to that I stopped there at 6:52PM and the control zone ends at 7pm, the direction of road I was on was traffic free and quiet, so its quite frustrating.

I am looking at appealing on the grounds that there is no signs of CCTV monitoring etc, a colleague sent me some useful info and there are laws that govern use of CCTV for fines and that this has to be clearly marked out, so I will try that, the least it will do is delay the date of payment so I can wait for payday if I end up having to pay the fine.

My sister did offer to pay it but doubt she will, she is in the process of buying a flat and always moaning that money is tight....

@MickyB You will probably find red routes in inner area of all major cities, although London is the worst for this, there is all kinds of restrictions everywhere, often poorly signed and with the amount of CCTV monitoring an unexpected fine is guaranteed, its a nightmare owning a car and driving in London.

jimjams and legend-ary like this.
  15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Good luck man.. we have a red route marked on some of the roads here and even on weekdays even you will see cars parked on it so I don;t know what is going on.

exec and jimjams like this.
  16. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Upload your TfL letter onto pepipoo forums, if they can't find a way around it then maybe you're better off paying the "half" priced fine. That said, kudos on not getting a single fine in over 9 years.

exec and jimjams like this.
  17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@exec, that isn't bad first one in 9 years. I've had a few notices on my car over the last 10 years telling me how good my parking was.
    Just a thought though, when you know you have somone to collect in that area, put your hazards on and open the bonnet and pretend you have broken down/ engine overheated. and when you get a letter, use that as an excuse? if you know any garages that will write a fictitious bill for work carried out, it would be less than the £65 TfL want.
    A friend of mine did that when his other half got a PCN a few years ago, got a bill made out for a repair to engine wiring that "prevented the engine from starting"

exec, DrSam and jimjams like this.
  18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Personally (and this is no criticism of your suggestion) I don't like lying to get myself out of a fine. Rules are rules and if you get caught breaking a rule, you know you did wrong and it's only fair that you cough up for that.

That's my thinking but we are all different.

exec, Zebster, Modplod and 1 other person like this.
  19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^ depends on who came up with the rule(s) and how the rules are applied, life is colourful, not black and white

exec likes this.
  20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

A chap I know got a fixed penalty - from a camera - for stopping on a marked box junction in Central London (Marylebone Road, just by The Landmark hotel).

He was on his moped, and this isn't an exaggeration - just his rear tyre was no more than a couple of inches on the final exit marking. He appealed on the grounds that it was just absurd...he lost.

In Bristol a couple of weeks ago I couldn't help but smile seeing the parking warden book cars for parking with two wheels on a pavement (which I have no issue with)...except he'd parked his van on a bend and on a double yellow in order to book them! Surely that can't be legal either? Should have taken a photo really...

Harvey and jimjams like this.