General First car for uncle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Tuesday 31st Mar, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    My uncle will be buying a car this summer which will be his first car, I will be helping him buy one and have currently shortlisted...suprise...suprise...Honda's.

Just need some recommendations and advice on what would be best.

Criteria are as follows:

Max budget - 2k
    Size - small
    Cheap insurance and running cost
    Ultra reliable
    5 doors and practical enough for family/kids

Current favorites are 1st Generation Jazz and 7th Generation Civic. I am unsure of the Jazz as I have read about reliability issues and for the Civic the 1.4 would be the choice as the 1.6 has some common gearbox issues. Which one would you guys go far? Also any alternatives brands, cars or specs?

Alternative two models are the 1st Generation Yaris and 9th Generation Corrola, which are on the shortlist.

Cheers

2. IC3 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

7th Generation Civic's have gearbox problems as well, I have seen quite a few 1.6 Civic's and so far none had any gearbox issues apart from the 1.4 which I saw. But that had 102k on the clock, so not that bad IMO.

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Other than the Honda models, I'd say the first generation Yaris is a good shout, I drove one once and liked it a lot - although the interior wasn't the best quality and it rattled quite a bit. Fun to drive, though, and practical.

My father had a Daihatsu Sirion (see link) which was a good little car - believe same as Yaris underneath anyway - but cheaper, not to mention cooler IMHO :Smile:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...cars/onesearchad/used,nearlynew,new?logcode=p

I'd also have a look at Hyundai, something like a Getz.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...rice-from/1500/radius/1500/usedcars?logcode=p

The other obvious one to look at would be a Nissan Micra.

exec likes this.
  4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Aye, they are supposedly a bit weak also the EPS can play up, i'm tempted to look at the Yaris and Corolla as they seem to have less issues and are really nice cars, plus would be nice to have another brand in the family, i'm just not that familiar with Toyota's when working on them, but then again recently serviced my dad's Kia and that was a joy to work on, so the Toyota should be well thought out design like most Jap motors.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks man, the Sirion looks quite good, but I would be worried the parts would be hard to source or come by. The Getz looks nice but they seem to rust like crazy, have seen few in the past which were rusty, and the only Micra worth considering is the K11 which is probably a bit too old now. The Daihatsu has reminded me of Suzuki, wonder how much the last gen Swifts go for,

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^My brother has my father's old Sirion and he doesn't have any issues with service parts - whether that would be the case if it needed something a bit more involved is a good question.

The Suzuki is a good call, but where you'll get value for money is getting a model that is less sought after. I believe the Ignis is pretty much a Swift underneath, but as with the Sirion/Yaris, quite a bit cheaper...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...to/2000/price-from/1500/make/suzuki?logcode=p

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Those Ignis's have common rear hub issues which are expensive to fix. But then again when you read common faults of cars they seem more common and scary then they are really are.

I'm going to rule out the Jazz though and possibly the Yaris which would have been the best choice as the boot is probs too small to fit a pushchair and some shopping.

So it's either the Corolla or Civic, one has some engine design faults, the Corolla and the other has Gearbox issues lol. The Civic will be the more nicer car probably.

7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    My sister had a Yaris - she drove it like it was always on fire, foot flat everywhere she went and it never once put a foot wrong. Even after three crashes, it still drove really well until she finally decided to introduce it to the side of a bus in which the bus won the fight.

It was a nice little car, I serviced it for her, easy to work on, didnt do much on it mechanically wise at all. Did more body work than mechanical work on the poor thing, but it never once let her down.

Truthfully, I would personally take a Yaris over a Jazz

exec likes this.
  8. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have no experience of Daihatsu or Hyundai but you're right the K11 Micra was amazing - reliable and largely trouble free except for timing chain issues on earlier ones. Corrosion is the main enemy. However, I know someone who ran a K12 to 180,000 miles as a driving school car without many problems the suspension was shot by that mileage though and of course he had it from new so it had been looked after. The K12 relaced a K11 and the K12 has been replaced with a K13.

The Swift is a lovely little car - not so little actually and this model has been around since '05/'06 so should be plenty of range to choose from.

I had a 1,200cc Swift as a courtesy car once and yes it didn't have the performance of my Accord but was surprisingly nippy.

exec likes this.
  9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Looked into the Swift and they are expensive for a good model, all the ones under 2k are lemons, the Yaris would have been an ideal choice if the boot was bigger, thats where the Jazz excel with its practicality, I would defo have a Yaris over a Jazz too. The K12 Micra is too much of a minefield, its basically half Renault so puts me off plus don't think my Uncle would like the look of them.

Think it will have to be a Civic, it's a good size, has a decent sized boot and the flat floor pan makes it practical too. Gonna see if he would fancy an Accord, then a 6th Generation could come into the equation if insurance is decent.

Cheers for the suggestions.

10. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The fact the K12 uses a cable operated gear linkage (Why?) instead of the K11's dual rod arrangement said it all for me....... Then there are the Renault door mirrors.

Crappy cost cutting measures that don't actually pass on to the customer. :disagree:

At least the K12 petrols are Nissan GR10DE, CR12DE and CR14DE units. the 1.0 and 1.4 being derived from the K11's CG10DE and CGA3DE units.

Ichiban likes this.
  11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Bit of a mini rant that I feel like venting. Been searching for a car for 2 months now and its so frustrating. The used car market is even worse than it was when I was looking for my first car few years back. It's just full of scammy little home traders selling overpriced junk that they bought from an suction for pennies. Literally every Civic and Corolla i come across is a front drive home driver with a chequered history car. It's so bloody frustrating, I wish the gov bought in some regulation, it seems like every tom dick and harry now sells cars on the side from their front yard. :brickwall:

I came across one scummer selling blatant clocked cars for way under the book price, at the momemnt he/she has a Civic with 66k on the clock for only £600 lol, and a Merc c class with 80k for £999 hahaha,

FirstHonda likes this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

When I was looking for a classic last year it was exactly the same. I saw quite a few mis-described cars, it is just a waste of time for everybody.

Something will turn up though - better that you are being patient.

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    These 'scammy little home traders' are probably no more scummy and parasitic than any other used car dealer! And if they're buying from auctions, then why don't you too?

I have only ever bought my cars from car auctions (BCA only) or genuine private sales (easy to determine if they're genuine by asking a few questions before actually viewing).

My mother-in-law has a Yaris... it's actually a really nice car. I think the boot space can be increased (to some extent) by sliding the rear seat forward? Best to check, I might be wrong...

14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Well I agree, the car dealers can be just as worse, but the second hand market seems to just be full of these home traders that its impossible to find anything and you end up wasting so much time looking at crap.

As for auctions they are too risky, I have no experience of auctions so wouldn't be able to spot a lemon without inspecting a car properly and secondly they don't seem to be cheap for private buyers, you end up spending loads of money on admin and other fees that the auction house now puts on the buyers to make money from.

The Yaris bench can be slid forward, but unfortunately the boot is still too small and you end up losing legroom too.

15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Finally we found a half decent car and bought it last night( not in the dark!)! :Tea:

It's a le bland 2003 Honda Civic 5 door 1.6 S inspire in a rather boring silver. Payed more than I liked, but it looks like a goodun, well I hope it is anyway! Spent most of it life in Brighton and has full dealer service history and even the MOT from it, which has a good record.

Bodywork alright for the age, but one of the door bump protectors is broken and needs to be re-attached. Needs a service and a good old Italian tune up, but otherwise its a nice car, great first car for my uncle, wouldn't want one myself though!

Might need some help with a few things though.

FirstHonda and Nighthawk like this.
  16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Been driving this little car everyday for last few days and I have grown to like it :Wub:. Took it for a proper blast today and the little motor picks up very well and the handling is very good, the rear feels quite stiff, must be the torsion bar? They make nice little little runarounds, looks small but huge inside, so much space inside and practical, feels nice and airy, everything is light so is easy to drive. My Accord in comparison feels a bit cocooned inside and everything is so heavy in comparison, clutch and steering felt like a tank when I used it today.

My Uncle is very pleased with the car, so hopefully a first step into loyal Honda ownership. :Thumbup:

heres the little Civic:

Attached Files:

FirstHonda and SpeedyGee like this.
  17. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I quite like the missus EP2 so I know what you mean. Small on the outside, much bigger inside, and its actually really nice to drive. Not as luxurious as the Accord, but a nice runabout for sure

exec likes this.