Detailing First detail of new car

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by StuH, Friday 25th Mar, 2016.

1. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Had the new car for nearly a month and today is the first day I've had chance to do something about the paint. Time was really limited and the weather looks awful for the rest of the weekend so I couldn't do as much as I'd like and pictures are few and far between and taken with my phone.

The paint was flat, proper flat. I'd have thought the dealer would've made more of an effort to put some sparkle back in the paint. The paint itself was okay, nothing serious needing correcting but it was full of light swirls and the clear coat was dirty. After the initial wash I had a good look, plenty of tar to tackle (more than I've seen on any car I've had). Two patches of dull clear coat that would need more correction. Despite the swirls etc I still would expect more life in the paint yet nothing was obvious.

One thing I hated about my 2003 Accord was the paint; it was shocking to work with and I'd just about done all I could to get it correct but it was so soft and sticky it was an uphill struggle. This put me off another but the price agreed on this car meant I couldn't turn it down. I needn't worry, the quality of the paint is so much better. Following the wash I tackled the tar with Autofinesse ObliTARate (see what they've done there!). Another wipe down and time to use Bilt Hamber Auto-Wheel on the paint. Yes Auto-Wheel, Peter Hamber himself told me it's an excellent fallout remover on the paint. It doesn't run in the same way a product like IronX does but it really works. I really can't stress just how important this stage is. This is supposedly clean paint:
    Car1.
    As you can see, it's bloomin covered in 'fallout'. I let it settle for a few minutes and rinsed, the results were remarkable, for the first time the paint looked metallic! Pic below after rinsing off the fallout remover:
    Car3.
    Car was washed again,dried and clayed. Took a good couple of hours to get a finish I was happy with using the clay. Another wash down and dry then I wiped every panel down with an IPA mix. Time was getting tight and I have no time to do a compound then refine down so it was a cut and polish in one. I was recommended Koch Chemie Micro cut & finish 2.02. This is has a light cut and gloss so I thought I'd give it a try. Starting with a black pad I did a panel, it wasn't really doing much so I dropped down to an orange pad which will give more cut. This was much better. The 2.02 was easy to work with but was dusty. After a few passes I was left with this:
    Car4.
    I'd probably removed about 80% of the defects, I wouldn't get any more with the 2.02. You have to really look to see any imperfections. After doing all the panels I did a final wipe down with a slightly damp cloth. To finish off I applied a coat of Harley's wax which was left to cure. Whilst that was going off I did all the glass and treated all rubbers with this:
    Car6.
    Final buff off with a damp microfibre cloth was about the most I could do. Finish:
    Car8. Car10.
    Next is the engine bay, would've usually done that first but wanted to get the body done. Wheels need to come off and be properly cleaned. There's some shallow dents I'll probably get removed.

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    wow @StuH the results look delicious..

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

One of the best detailing threads I've seen @StuH :likeit:

Fantastic results too. She looks stunning. God alone knows how good she'll look when you've got more time...:Wink:

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Very, very impressive @StuH :likeit:
    It's always great to see what can be done when you know how. :GoodJob:

5. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks for the replies. Is looking good I must say! The engine bay is filthy, that next.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    She has come up beautifully - excellent job well done.

I have three cars in my driveway at the moment, one of which is a Volvo - are you free tomorrow to do mine? :Grin:

FirstHonda likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Top job @StuH and thanks for taking the time to post up the details.

I soooo wish I had the patience for this detailing stuff ! If anyone wants to exchange a mechanical job for a full detail I'd be up for that :Grin:

FirstHonda likes this.
  8. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

That'd be a great swap if I closer!

Might, just might get a go at the engine bay today though the clouds are coming in fast :depressed:

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'd be happy to help you with that if you are free to pop round. We just need a dry day. Don't worry about the mechanical job. I don't plan on anything major.

10. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Likewise mate...feel free to pop round and buff yr car with my da polisher

SpeedyGee and Nels like this.
  11. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

what a day, hail, thunder, lightening, high winds, not much chance to do anything. Well, not quite. I had a window of about 15 minutes this afternoon! Took the opportunity to have a very quick look at what needs doing in the engine bay. This is what I had:
    engine1.
    Not horrendous but certainly never been cleaned and plenty to do. As you can see we'd been subjected to a serious covering of hail. Made the decision to have a very quick clean to see what is going to be needed. Reckoned I would be lucky to get 30 mins so it was a quick hoover around the bay and the soundproofing on the bonnet. I followed with a liberal covering of Autoglym Engine cleaner, I worked this in with a brush and left to dwell for a few minutes. I rinsed the AG off using a very fine spray from the hosepipe. Everything was dried and dressed with Autoglym Vinyl and rubber care. This was after the little clean:
    engine2.
    some of the nooks and crannies need doing properly and the soundproofing on the bulkhead needs a real good clean.

legend-ary and FirstHonda like this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Is that loads of hale sat on the windscreen ??!! :shock:

That's a good job considering it was a quick clean.

Power steering pump and inlet manifold could do with a good polish, job for another day huh.

13. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Yep, it was white with hail for about 30 mins plus a fantastic thunder and lightening storm. Power steering pump with get some attention but not sure what I'll do with the manifold as I don't really want to take it off and polishing in situ would be PITA.

Last edited: Sunday 27th Mar, 2016
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The inlet manifold is made up of two piece, you could just take the front piece off.

15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

It just goes to show what a huge improvement can be made in a relatively short time.

Excellent.

:clap::clap::clap:

:GoodJob:

16. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Great work buddy

17. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

The rust hose clamps and clips are doing by damn head in :Angry: really spoiling the look. Not sure what to do....