Introductions First ever honda car.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by scooter boy, Saturday 24th Jan, 2015.

1. scooter boy New Member Getting Started

Hi All.
    Just joined this forum yesterday.
    Firstly, i won't bore you with too much info about myself. AS you can read my profile if your really bored.But basically, i have worked in the motor trade all my working life, mostly selling cars, & caravans , & motorhomes.
    Any way, i have sold a few honda cars, but never owned one till now. Which is suprising, as i am a real petrol head.
    As well as owning a couple of modern cars, i also own several classic cars & a couple of jap import cars, various motor bikes, & a few scooters, inc a couple of old lambrettas, & a very rare classic motorhome. Told you i was a petrol head.
    Any way last weekend i bought a honda that i have admired for years. This paticular car i have been trying to buy for the last 6 months.
    The garage on the east coast where i live, where i get my MOT done, had on the day i was there this very car in for MOT. The mechanic who brought it in, said it belonged to a old customer of his. I asked him if it was for sale, & would he give his customer my mob no. Months went by but i never got a call from him.
    Any way 6 moths later i am driving through this small town on the coast not too far from where i live, & i see the very said car.It was parked outside his house.
    Turns out the mechanic never gave him my mob no. Rotter....
    Suffice to say, after a test drive i bought it. Must be fate. I think sometimes things are meant to be.
    Its a 1993 honda Del Sol. Its the 1.6 DOHC VTEC sir transtop manual gearbox model. Its the jap import which as im sure you know. 170 BHP, with a VTEC controller fitted. Metallic blue, with white after market alloys fitted, & with 6 months MOT. A little rust in the usual places. The rear wheel arches & both doors. But have seen much worse. Its going into the paint shop hopefully next week. The painter i use is very good.
    Turns out the old chap was only selling it, due to ill health, as he was finding it hard to get in & out of. What i also like is the fact that he as owned it for nearly 9 years, & every thing works on it, inc most importantly, the transtop.
    I am really looking forward to getting out & about in it, & hopefully meeting up with some of you.
    Sorry for such a long introduction, & thanks for taking time out to read this.

Regards. John.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Welcome John would love to see this Dek Sol:Hey:
  3. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    Welcome to the forum :Smile:
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to Honda Karma John, would love to see your Del Sol in the Club Garage :Thumbup:
  5. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Hello and welcome to HK :garage:
  6. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Welcome, John, to THE Honda club!
  7. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello :Bye:and :welcome:to the club we have been contemplating a Fish And Chip run to Scarborough one Saturday or Sunday maybe we can get it off the ground this year.
    Are you telling me that the Del Sol is just 17 BHP under my 2.4 Type-S!!!
  8. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello John. Welcome to HK :welcome::sparta:

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your Del Sol
  9. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Welcome sir!
  10. scooter boy New Member Getting Started

Hi all.
    Thanks for your kind wellcomes. Looks like i have joined a friendly forum here.
    In answer to a few of your replies. I will download a few pics once i have had my Del Sol repaired & painted where needed.
    In reply to micky b. Firstly thanks for your wellcome to me. In answer to your question, asking me if its possible that my Del Sol is only 17bhp behind your Type-S.
    Thats hard for me to answer, because i don't know what BHP your car is. All i can say is that if you google honda Del Sol 1.6 twin cam VTEC sir transtop jap import. You will see that the vti uk version is 160bhp, & mine the jap import is 170bhp . Of course over the years all our cars lose a few BHP. Only by putting it on a rolling road will i know for certain what the output is now. Its got a few extra BHP added, as its breathing better with after market air filter & stainless ex system from america.
    The power to weight ratio is very good, so goes like the clappers & the handling is brilliant. Just love it, i am well impressed. That is some compliment from me, as my 2 mits fto s are not only very quick, but handle superb. Also i have a 1991 1275cc old school mini cooper, which is not very fast by todays standards, but with the 13inch alley cat rims & high & low gaz shocks fitted, goes rpound corners sideways. It trully is old school technology.But so much fun. They all have the best smiles per miles. :Smile:.
    Regards. John.
  11. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom
    @MickyB - your low mileage Type-S is being outperformed by a 22 year old 1.6ltr - :Whistle::poke: :Laughing: :Lipsrsealed:

@scooter boy - :welcome: to Honda Karma - somehow I missed this post. Look forward to seeing pictures of your car in our club garage
  12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My Type-S is standard which is supposed to be 187bhp but she's 10 years old now but loved just as much as the day she became mine.
    I used to have a 1275gt Mini some years ago when I was in the Army it was Denim Blue Metallic ,Wolf Race alloys twin Webbers and very quick off the mark.
    I'd not come across a Del Sol until recently I was driving through Wakefield and there in front of me was a Green one. So I can't wait to see yours.
    Think its getting near time to think about a Yorkshire meet and maybe a coast run.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Low mileage yes to CJ's annoyance:Smile: out performance ? Not sure.
  13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK John. :welcome: Looking forward to seeing your Del Sold.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That Del Sol will smoke that 2.4 to high water the power delivery is far more aggressive and your Type-S will be left in third gear for dust. You @rse will be handed to you.