Introductions First Honda

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Cloughy, Wednesday 29th Oct, 2014.

1. Cloughy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Alex Reading
    Newbie saying hi!

Just picked up a 58 plate 2009 accord tourer ES GT with 60k on the clock

This is my first Honda and all I can say is Wow! It's like a flying carpet on the motorway. A baby on the way meant an estate was needed and the accord tourer was one of the best looking estates we could find.

Coming from a BMW I've really been impressed with the build quality. It's better than what I thought it would be. Stereo is also very good which is a big plus for me.

Great forum by the way, have already got some really good info from it, hoping I can give some info back :Smile:

Cloughy

accord-8th-gen-es-gt-2009.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    :welcome: to Honda Karma Alex, good to have you on board and congratulations to coming to a better marque....:Laughing: How would you compare the Honda and BMW?

Looking forward to hearing more about her and seeing plenty of pictures in our Club Garage.

If you need any help or advice, feel free to ask away.

3. Cloughy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Alex Reading
    Thanks, would say build quality of the accord is up on par with the beemer. It's smoother and quieter at speed than the BMW although the I-DTEC is a bit louder around town. The seats in the accord are like a sofa! So comfortable and much better than my 3 series m sport. BMW had a harder ride although accord gets unsettled easier on rougher roads. All in all though the accord is the better package for me (and the Mrs!) She prefers the drive of the Honda and says it's the best car she's driven (she drove 2 audi's before this one) :Smile:

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome the club Alex, the Accord Tourer is pretty damn good looking as estates go! Though enough BMW comparisons, you'll get ripped to shreds around these parts :Laughing:

More seriously, BMW/Audi come near bottom of the pile for reliability in all the major tests, you're not the first and won't be the last pleasantly surprised convert from the German "premium" brands :Whistle:

Any questions ask away, you may find that uneasiness on the back roads settles down with some well chosen tyres.

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK Alex. :welcome:
    As time goes on, you will see why we are so passionate about our Hondas. I'm sure you will be too.
    She looks in great condition. When you get time please add her to the Club Garage. :garage:
    We love to see all Hondas. Additionally, she will show up at the bottom of your posts. This will help us to help you.

6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    :welcome: to HK !!

Glad to see another convert (I'm a bit of a convert myself, coming from one of 'those German cars') and even though I have a 'lowly' Civic, I still think it's way better than my previous car. Would love some more pictures and best of luck with the babies (new car and human one :Grin:)

Cloughy likes this.
  7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK Alex :welcome:

That's a lovely looking tourer. :Niceone:

As @DeviateDefiant says tyre choice makes all the difference on the ride quality front. 8th Generation can be sensitive to brand of tyres. Yokohama Decibel E70D good tyre and was pre-facelift OEM tyre choice. I found Honda dealer was the cheapest for these tyres. Budget brands are cheaper but not massively and it's worth, in my opinion, to go Yokohama for the ride difference.

Facelift has moved OEM choice to Bridgestone Turanza and these seem a good tyre as well probably spot on a par with the Yokohamas. No idea of Turanza prices though.

Rotate them and you get a decent life out of them. Maybe not quite as long on tourer as saloon due to extra weight and carrying capacity of tourer. Just rotated mine at 9,000miles fronts had 4.5-5mm left on them and rears had 6-7mm so should get a bit more out of them yet. My best was 20,000 miles out of a set but they were definitely ready for changing after that!

Nels and Cloughy like this.
  8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello:Bye:and:welcome:to the club

Cloughy likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to Honda Karma Alex :Hey:

Good to hear that the Honda fairs well/better than the BMW :dance:

Cloughy likes this.