General First impressions

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by john m, Saturday 1st Aug, 2015.

1. john m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

2014 I-DTEC SE got it last Tuesday still got plenty of manufacturers warranty i was a bit dubious if i would fit in it at 6'4'' and eighteen stone after owning a 05 C-RV and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of room behind the wheel the seat is a bit narrow but comfortable built for snake hipped orientals not fat arsed Caucasians still you need a big hammer to knock a big nail in :gotcha:
    Honda claim up to 70 MPG i will find out the real world consumption after a tank full the sales team reckon 55-60 if that is the case i will be happy with that plus zero rated for road tax.
    It looks like a pimple on a cows backside on my drive after the C-RV and it is very good at hiding in car parks as it's the same size as all the other cars.
    i have not had a chance to do any motorway work on it yet but a bit of progress on country roads tells me that it is light fast and corners like it's on rails, the 1.6 diesel does not have the low down grunt of the 2.2 in the C-RV for example 30MPH in 4th a bit of throttle and it pulls away effortlessly up to 50MPH but the 1.6 you have to wait for the turbo to cut in and it struggles at first so down to 3rd to get it rolling back to 4th then it will get to 50MPH quickly it is quick you just have to use the gearbox more.
    I am just having to find out what all the bells and whistles do the dab radio is good i have found Planet Rock so the bass bin is rattling the windows:Happy:
    I found the bar across the back window a bit alarming at first it looked like the boot lid was open but it is ideally placed to block the headlights of following vehicles at night,i am going to like this car i will do an update later on when i have done a couple of journeys.
    Ichiban, i-DSI and FirstHonda like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Glad to hear you're enjoying the Civic John.

Interesting to hear about the difference between the 1.6 and the 2.2.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Some good feedback there. How are you finding the ride quality @john m? I happen to find the 9th Generation's a little on the harsh side.
  4. john m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I thought the ride would be stiff but it is comfortable but firm it does not do potholes or manhole covers too well but that down to length of travel on the suspension which is less than the C-RV but it straddles speed humps better than the C-RV i get the impression it has a wider track
    DeviateDefiant likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

6. john m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I drove down to isle of Sheppy today the engine is very responsive above 50 MPH in 6th gear and holds the speed set on cruise control on the climb up from the Medway bridge on the M2 acceleration at motorway speeds is instant so if you cancel the CC to allow a faster car to overtake then resume to get past the slower car in front it gets back to the set speed without struggling.
    Road/wind noise is minimal so distance work will be comfortable,got back home the fuel gauge has only moved about 2mm computer says 50.4 MPG but i will see on a fill up.
    There is a footrest by the clutch and throttle pedals but be careful with the one by the throttle as it is narrow as you can be on the footrest and the accelerator pedal at the same time so you are pushing the car faster than what you have set on the CC, you can get your feet under the pedals to stretch your legs on long journeys as there in not much room to move your feet about a minor irritant.
    More updates to come.
  7. john m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

First fill up today mixture of round the houses and motorway 70-30 in favour of the former given the temperature over the last two weeks i have been using the air con quite a bit especially today as it has been hot on a trip down to camber sands.
    I filled up on return 55 MPG with less use of the air con that will improve overall that is around half the consumption of the CR-V given the the same use so i am impressed with that.
    Real world figures i think will be 55-60 MPG i would like to know how Honda got this 70+MPG?
    FirstHonda likes this.
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The way that manufacturers get the 'official' economy figures has been contentious for years - my understanding is that it is all done (more or less) under lab conditions.

I'd say that a real world 55-60mpg against an 'official' 70mpg is excellent :Thumbup:

Have a look at this link:

True MPG - genuine, achievable fuel economy tests from What Car?
  9. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    I'm getting 68mpg in mine
  10. john m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Do tell??
  11. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Mixed driving, short trips for work, commuting via motorway which is 15 miles on an undulating Road.
    I've seen higher, I zeroed the trip leaving work, took it easy on way home and got 78mpg.
  12. john m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Very impressive are those figures according to the on board computer or your own calculations?
  13. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    mpg.. On board computer. I've generally found them quite reliable and I've owned 6 Hondas.

Took this pic this morning, average over nearly 300 miles
  14. john m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

2nd tank full on board computer 58.3 MPG real figure 52.9 MPG the on board computer is a bit optimistic but no great surprise there.
    396.8 miles on 34.06 ltr, calculations multiply ltr's by .22 to convert to galls then divide mileage by 7.4932.
    I will find out MPG on motorway this W/E going to Lydden circuit near Dover Saturday and Sunday marshalling for the Classic Racing Motorcycle Club if anyone is in the area come and watch some good racing.
  15. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    I'm getting 66 so only 8 more. Could probably put that down to driving style, roads etc
  16. john m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Or you could put it down to an over enthusiastic computer??
  17. john m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Four trips up and down the M2/A2 Dartford to Lydden circuit total of 260.1 miles at motorway speed 58.29 MPG quite good IMO.
    A bit more finesse on the loud pedal could see over 60 MPG.
    FirstHonda likes this.
  18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^That's very impressive stuff, great to hear.

How are you finding the I-DTEC now for performance, refinement etc?

Any niggles with the Civic?
  19. john m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Now i have done some miles the engine is very responsive and smooth it must a counter balance shaft as a friend of mine who came with me thought it was a petrol engine,
    The driver info wotsit and speedo reflect on the inside of the windscreen in the dark but if you dim the lights by about a third it is not so irritating, they could have been shielded or angled better as the temperature and fuel gauges and the tachometer are recessed into the dash and do not reflect at all but overall i like the layout,
    the buttons for the climate control are small and have to be searched for if you select auto it goes to recycled air so 6/10 for the dash. Whereas the radio controls are a decent size and can be found at a glance sound quality is excellent with six speakers and the bass bin in the boot with good auxiliary connections USB and 3'5mm jack you can plug what you like in with two 12v sockets in the front and one in the boot you can power it as well.
    The rear seats are well thought out you can lift the seats up to expose the foot well which gives a useful load space and makes cleaning easy also to find any money:Grin:
    the seat backs fold flat to give a large flat space for bulky items.
    The car handling is tight and responsive you either have good handling and stiff suspension or a soft comfortable ride that rolls about like a drunk on a Saturday night
    Honda have struck a good balance without going to air suspension.
    Overall the Civic is a little cracker with a few niggles but you can't please all the people all the time.
    legend-ary and FirstHonda like this.
  20. john m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A bit more information now i have some more miles on the clock,
    on Saturday the 3rd i went to Snetterton circuit for a days marshalling a round trip of 210 miles then a bit of local to and fro.
    Monday the 5th down to Bridgewater for four days driving about minehead and Wells and around that area.
    The performance on motorway is better than i first thought being smaller and lighter than the CR-V it pulls from about 1100 RPM in any gear and is a match for any comparable 1600cc.
    On A&B roads it is stable corners faster than SWIMBO will let me, bless her little cotton socks accelerates quicker than she will let me so i will have to curb my 'progress' until i am solo:excited:
    So driving to Snetterton then to Bridgewater and four days driving around 480 odd miles 59.5 MPG and i wasn't as light on the loud pedal as i could be:Innocent:
    FirstHonda and Alexknight91 like this.