Off-Topic First Motorway Pub opens on M40

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Tuesday 21st Jan, 2014.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Complete and utter madness how on earth did this get approval.:Tea:

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ha ha ,might go for a pint.
    Joking aside i agree it is stupid and madness for even considering it never mind approving it.
    Guess someone paid someone good money to make it happen.

Last edited: Wednesday 22nd Jan, 2014
  3. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If it's anything like Wetherspoons in Morpeth no one will drink and drive - it takes that long for them to serve you, you give up.

Seriously though it is just putting temptation in the way for the idiots out there. :telloff:

Yes you could argue if someone is going to drink and drive they'll do it anyway (not that that makes it any more acceptable) but his just puts the temptation and idea further into the idiots' heads, the "opportunists" even, if there is such a thing.

It's unbelievable how some people's logic works. I wouldn't put it past some people to think that because the pub has been allowed there drinking and driving in now acceptable on the M40.

4. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's freedom of choice, and there are plenty of nice pubs just off M-ways, if the drive really is too long to hack.

And large corporate/gov't bribery, of course. I suppose the revolving door between gov't & business is merely facism and thus slightly more preferable to communism.

However, if you're the sort of person who would find a concrete motorway pub in any way appealing, Darwinism's too good for you!

5. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Maybe they think if people are feeling a bit tired they can pop in for cheeky vodka red-bull:Drinks:

But seriously, I think anyone that drinks and drives deserves a good hiding and I honestly think a lot of people will visit this pub thinking "Just one drink won't hurt anyone" madness :Crazy:

6. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I welcome the idea.

Great if you're on a coach or car sharing on a football away day.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not to stereotype but actually how many football fans are responsible drinkers i.e who don't make a fool of themselves after a victory or defeat..

8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This was on BBC breakfast news months ago, when it was announced. I really don't see a problem with it. No different to cross channel ferries selling alcohol. All motorway service stations in France sell alcohol. Sure as hell the police will keep an eye out for the idiots. Judging by the amount of unmarked cop cars on the motorways these days it shouldn't be a problem.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    You just know that every coach which stops here will then be stopping 20 minutes up the road and have a line of fat lads standing down the side of the coach all taking a pee because one of them has a small bladder and the on board bog don't work so they'll all take the opportunity to 'take a break' before the next services.

11. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Most coaches have toilets onboard nowadays