Dealers/Garages First Service - Newcastle Honda

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by John Dickson, Thursday 18th Dec, 2014.

1. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Had my car in for first 12,500 mile service today.

Got a text to say it was ready at 12:07 but couldn't get to collect it until after 5pm.

Had a Civic Auto courtesy car (Why don't the call them "Hondamatic" anymore)

The car was fully valeted when I got it back

WP_20141218_20_29_03_Pro[1].

The driver's door isn't actually distorted it's just the glare from the floodlight. :lol: (Windows phones - good phones; cr@p cameras)

Like all Hondas, iDTECs love new oil and filter. Car is running like brand new - so smooth. :Hooray:

Civic was ok. sorry it's not for me but if I was looking in that segment Civic would be my first choice.

Only problem is I found it difficult to get in and out of. The seat doesn't adjust low enough and the steering wheel doesn't adjust high enough at furthest rake away from the driver anyway so I had to put up with catching my legs between the seat and bottom of the steering wheel. (This might be just because I'm 6'2" and a fat bar steward :lol:)

Ichiban and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

She looks so lonely out there by herself.

John Dickson likes this.
  3. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The first golden rule of supermarket car parks. Park as far away from the door as possible as the ones most likely to damage your car opening their doors or with trolleys tend to park nearest the store entrance and you're also avoiding the busiest part of the car park.

I am OCD about parking. It has to be an end bay if possible then I can get the car as far away from the neighbouring car as possible. Or if I'm parked in the middle of the row the car has to be mm perfect in the centre of the bay :lol:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Change that oil every 5000K and you may start to love it a bit more..LOL

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I always do that too, John. Trouble is, regardless of how deserted the car park is and how far away I park, I'm amazed at how often I come back to find somebody in the space next to me...:Aghast::Aghast::Aghast:

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^I think the Civic is much underrated due to the styling, which I accept is a bit "marmite." Personally I like it. It will be interesting to see what the facelift does to it in 2015, as well as the halo effect of the new Type-R.

I'm not 6'2" (more like 5'2"!!) and found the Civic auto I had as a courtesy car very good, albeit not as good as my Accord - although in fairness it is a different proposition.

I will definitely consider only a Civic hatch if I decide to downsize (the Jazz is just slightly too small for my needs), and having driven a few VW Golfs over the years, I am still mystified as to why the motoring press rave about that, while being so critical of the Honda. Is "badge blindness" a thing?!?

7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    don't worry, some muppet in a Fiesta will come park next to it soon and smash their doors against the side of the car. All those empty parking spaces, it just makes sense to park your fiesta as close as scientifically possible next to the only other vehicle in the car park.

FirstHonda likes this.
  8. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    The golden rule in car parking is get a child! And you sit and wait to use the extra wide parking spaces. Simple

Nels likes this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Kids are too expensive, and noisy. The problem with new and really quiet cars is that the kids seem noiser. At least with an old non japanese car, the rattles, crashes and bangs drown them out a bit

10. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I had my Mazda 3 Sport for 4 years and always parked in parents spaces, didnt have a single mark on it.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Been there. Amazing times, but the parking perks aren't enough to make me want to return. :nea:

I do the same, but others still want to snuggle up to my car. :Rant:

12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The car was in for 25,000 mile service at Newcastle Honda today.
    Dropped it off just after 8am and it was ready by 11am fully washed and hoovered out as well.
    Wheels rotated and aircon, visual check and yearly corrosion inspection carried out.

They also used 0W30 engine oil all covered in the service plan. Brakes are 40% worn on the front 30% on the rear I was expecting them to be further down than that to be honest.

:GoodJob:

Ichiban likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good news John glad to see they doing the right thing. Good going on the brakes too.

John Dickson likes this.
  14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers CJ yes I'm surprised by the low brake wear. I drive using engine breaking as well that's a strong point for the I-DTEC good engine braking due to the higher compression ratio I suppose. I also give the brakes a good rinse when I wash the car especially in the winter to keep the salt build up on the hubs and wheels was the main idea wether this helps with brake shoe life I'm not sure. I'd always get a good life out the brakes on most cars I've had but this one the brakes are lasting even better. Are they uprated brakes on I-DTEC over the 2.0 as well or is it just 2.4s and Type-S that has bigger brakes?

FirstHonda likes this.
  15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

My Accord was still in the original brakes when I traded it in at more than 40k miles @John Dickson so it seems to be a characteristic of the 8th Generation to be kind to them :Smile:

John Dickson likes this.
  16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'm still on an original clutch at the prime old age of 11 years and 155K miles plus on the clock and I don't exactly go easy on the clutch either ! :Smile:

FirstHonda and John Dickson like this.
  17. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's great going @FirstHonda people say autos are harder on the brakes because you don't have as much engine braking as a manual but there's the proof it's a bit of an urban myth :Smile:

That's good @SpeedyGee but not really a surprise from bomb-proof Hondas! I've never had a Honda clutch show signs of ageing. In hindsight the clutch on my CU1 was needing new fluid but I wasn't apparent until they changed it and the difference was noticeable afterwards. Typical Honda's though they all love new fluids even if there wasn't an issue beforehand the new fluids transform the car :Smile: