General First time car - Honda Civic(s).

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheGreatDane, Tuesday 19th Jan, 2016.

1. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andreas A Leeds
    Hey there folks!
    New to this page, pleasure to be here. My father has always been a huge fan of Honda's, so I have had the pleasure to drive plenty of them, including CR-V's, CR-X, Accord Type-R and Civics (including Type-R).
    Now the time has come to get my own first car, and immediately I have been looking for a Honda. I have narrowed my search / budget far and wide and it is now down to these two:
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201509217099145
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512309711194

Some (hopefully minor) concerns I have with these two..
    - Is the mileage too high? Should I be vary?
    - Is the blue Civic strangely cheap? There is a huge price gap between the two, yet they are very similar. It's a two hour journey to get to the blue Civic, so I want to express my concerns first and see what the experts here say.
    - Any concerns with the 7th Generation Civic's overall? I hear it is some of the best Civic's you can get.
    - Anything I should be aware of when I look these models over?

Hope someone can answer my questions (and hope this is in the right place of the forum!)
    Many thanks

Andreas A.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Andrew, welcome to Honda Karma :Hey:

Looking at the two cars, the blue one is a 2003 model and the silver one is a 2005 model, also the blue one is an automatic and the silver one is a manual.
    So that explains the price difference.

The mileages on both are fine, 75K and 85K, the cars have barely got to middle age.

Looking the MOT histories on https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ both seem have passed MOTs with very few problems. The silver has had a few points of failure on the last MOT but nothing all too serious and one assumes those issues were addressed.

All in all, they look quite reasonable prospects on the face of it.

If you are interested in the one that is far away from you, what I would do if I were you is call up the owner and have a good chat with him/her. Find out as much as possible about the car, get a feel of how well it has been kept, what condition it is in at the moment, mechanically and aesthetically. See what your gut feel is after the chat, if all seems well only then arrange to go see it.

legend-ary and exec like this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I forgot to add that yes, the 7th Generation Civics are indeed very reliable motors. I had a 5 door version myself until recently. In the almost 4 years I had all it needed for was regular servicing and it never put a foot wrong.

4. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you Speedy! And thank you for your swift reply. I am quite amazed that there is such a price difference between them.. I will have a chat with the dealer for the Blue Civic tomorrow and see what he says.
    Quite looking forward to this purchase!

5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Agreed with SpeedyGee that these 7th Gens are pretty amazing motors and will last ages with proper care. As you can see from my signature I own one of the earliest 7th Gens that I am in the process of restoring to full health so would like to add a couple of thing you must keep check before committing to any particular Civic of this generation. These mostly apply to pre-facelift cars and you are looking at FL but doesn't hurt to be aware of them.

a. make sure you start the car you are viewing from dead cold. don't let the seller 'warm it up' for you before hand. This way you can hear all the engine noises and will notice any weird noise.

b. [Manual cars] Earlier cars suffered from gearbox input shaft bearing noise due to a poor design, this was fixed under warranty by Honda for upto 7 years after the initial sale date. While the car is idling, sit inside, close the door and push the clutch pedal in and keep your ears open for any significant change in engine noise. If the car goes super quite while the clutch is in that is a sign of worn bearing. Not the end of the world but after much deep digging the cheapest repair will cost you approx £350-£400

c. [Manual cars] have a habbit of popping out of gears. 3rd seems to be the most affected but go for a long test drive and test all gears.

Here is a video of what gearbox crunch and bearing noise sounds like:

I hope I haven't put you off the idea of 7th Generation. These are amazing cars but it is just some of these have been abused quite a lot so it pays to know the common faults as if you avoid these, you will have a car that will last you ages!

Good luck! :Smile:

SpeedyGee and exec like this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Two main things you wanna check on these is any odd noises from gearbox and any issues with the Electric power steering system. Otherwise bulletproof cars, also don't rush into buying one, there is loads of them around so find a good price good example. The silver one looks a bit pricey to me.

SpeedyGee and legend-ary like this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

8. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you so much for the tips. Yes I was thinking the silver looks a bit pricey too. I will be going tomorrow to have a look at and test drive both of them. I'll keep an eye out for some of the things you have pointed out. Anyway, hopefully the Blue Civic lives up to my expectations, and I will be taking that one home tomorrow, got the insurance ready. I will let you know how it goes!

legend-ary likes this.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Good luck! and hopefully we will see you add one of these to the club garage tomorrow :Wink:

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good luck @TheGreatDane hope that one is upto to your expectations.

11. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had some time today so I went to have a look at the Silver Civic (it's fairly close). I had a test drive and a chat with the salesperson there. I jotted down some notes immediately after leaving the lot, and it would be great to get a second opinion from the Honda experts!

Here are my notes:
    Fog light left side not working
    Scratches
    Rattling from dashboard
    Window seal slightly twisted driver side (would maybe be replaced)
    Battery was flat, but after having turned car off and on again it started straight away
    Bonnet lever gone
    Consistent Clutch Fluid Contamination
    Tires a bit worn but will be replaced if necessary

All tools and spare tire exist
    Paperwork checks out
    Drives well
    Power steering great
    Electronics work
    No noise from engine when clutch is down and otherwise engine sounds healthy
    Gears stay in place and shifts well
    Engine looks good (see picture)
    Suspension seems faultless
    Brakes were a bit squeaky, but cleared up quickly

So I had a very good feeling about the dealership. Family run business for 11 years now. They do a full MOT and service before selling the vehicle off, which means all the issues should be addressed fully (they were bit unclear if they could replace the window seal, but it isn't leaking). One month full warranty with possibility of getting my money back if I want. Older gent I spoke to, and he seemed very down to earth and honest about the whole thing.
    I stated my concern that the price was quite cheap and if he would do it for £1,950. He wasn't adversed to the idea, but he said it would depend on what needed replacing, so he should get back to me soon. Does that seem a reasonable price?

Many thanks
    Andy

20160120_134204.

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 20th Jan, 2016
  12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Hey.. by the sounds of it you were impressed by the dealership which is a good sign.. regarding faults that you noticed

Fog light - might be a blown bulb or something.. plenty of replacement parts on eBay so not to worry..
    Scratches - to be expected on a 11 year old car
    Rattling from dash - might be something loose but it shouldn't.. could be something simple
    Window seal - easy to fix
    Bonnet lever - cheap to replace
    Clutch fluid - could cause creaking pedal/cylinder. did you check if the car has been serviced regularly?
    Worn Tyres - normal stuff but were they worn equally across the breadth of the tyre?? if not could point to bad suspension.

To be honest nothing of this list sounds alarming to me..

Well judging by recent experiences, that can actually be a bad thing. One of the members here bought a car from a dealer with full MOT and within a week had to visit another workshop to sort a knocking noise.. turns out the whole rear frame is rusted and was patched up using tissue and undercoat so basically it had a fake MOT.

Because your budget is quite good, I would seriously suggest you either take someone with you for second opinion or arrange to get the car inspected by AA or RAC. They charge £40 or so but you will be assured that nothing seriously wrong will be overlooked by them. Small price to pay for peace of mind. Don't sell yourself on the first car that you try... even if you come back to it after a couple of more test drives. This particular car sounds like a good one and might be worth trying another one and then you will have a fair idea if the other car drove better or did something that first car did differently..

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Silver with those list of issues at 2.2k is way overpriced, should be more like 1.5k or less

14. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the quick replies.
    I will try and get someone with me. They did offer me to take the car to an independent garage first and have it checked over if I wanted to, so I am not too worried about a potential scam.
    As for the price.. I haven't seen any other Civic's in a price range of 1.5K.. And if all the things gets fixed beforehand, is 1.9K still a lot to pay?

15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I think price wise it is not too bad but I needs to be in top condition to be 1.9k.

A few 1.6 Sports are around your area too.. a gentle bodykit and sport seats give a warm hatch look.. but depends on what you prefer. If you like the silver one might be worth letting them fix it and squeeze the price a bit.
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=1&radius=60&model=Civic&make=honda&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=1&radius=60&model=Civic&make=honda&logcode=p
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sounds like they are honest otherwise not many dealers are open to inspections. If you have a trusty indie/friend who can check it for you go for it.

16. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    this is a legality now. if issues arise or car not deemed "satisfactory quality" 30 days money back.. or if you have any issues with a car within 6 months the dealer has one shot at fixing it or money back.

17. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    All I will say is don't rush into buying either of these, popular mistake made by first time buyers is buying the first car they see, there is lots of these around so you might get something better and cheaper come up in afew weeks.

18. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right then, big update!
    Day started off with me calling the dealer that had the Blue Civic, and like the first time I called him, he wasn't very forthcoming or helpful, and my gut feeling about hadn't gotten any better, so I decided not to go in the end.
    Instead I went back to see and drive the Silver Civic. I got it to a garage and had the mechanic there look it over. He pointed out a few things I hadn't noticed, and give me a full list to bring back to the dealer.
    Dealer was immediately forthcoming with getting the car to and from the mechanic, and when I returned, we sat down, looked at the things that needed doing. All the faults I listed earlier will be fixed, and he will put on a pair of new front tires as well. All in all, the judgement from the mechanic was that it was very well kept, and he thought it would be a good purchase.
    So after a bit of haggling, I got the dealer down to £2,125, and I am now the owner of a 2005 Honda Civic 1.6. I know it was pointed out that the price was a bit steep, but to be honest, having looked around and tested a couple of other cars (besides Honda's), this dealer was the one I found myself coming back to. Family run business for the past 11 years, and their record is really good. So I don't mind paying a bit extra (if even that) to buy it from a dealer I trust. I will get a call later this week when the car is ready, and I can go pick it up.
    Huzzah!

legend-ary and exec like this.
  19. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

First of all congratulations on the purchase and welcome to HK! :Niceone:
    Secondly, I think you have made a good call. I would rather buy a car that I know the faults of rather than one that hides it. As wise members of this forum told me 'better the devil you know'.

I must admit that it is incredible that the dealer let you take the car to the mechanic and listened rather than shutting you down when you reported faults. . Getting new set of shoes + fault fixed as part of the deal was a wise move so I think you have done quite well.. So what if it was a bit expensive.. if you are happy with it then it doesn't matter.

When you get a chance pop your car into the club garage so we can all see what you bought. Also gives you a central place to document your maintenance/repair/modification logs. Oh and grab yourself an Avatar while you are at it :Wink:

exec likes this.
  20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team