Introductions First time Honda Owner!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by nauest, Friday 13th Feb, 2015.

1. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Hi Guys!

I am very happy to have finally graduated up from the Peugeot owners club to the Honda Owners club! Just purchased my new Honda Accord I-CTDI Exec Tourer. Got to say it is the nicest car I have ever owned, already got some great information off this forum so thanks guys!

Then bad news is I have just discovered my lovely new Honda has a rattly timing chain, having first thought it was an alternator problem, switched to short Aux belt only to find the noise was still there with no Aux.

Im hoping that you guys can shine some light on my first Honda experience! It could be a short one...(Hope not!)

Cheers!
    Ned

received_10153045108960450.

John Dickson likes this.
  2. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Welcome to HK, and congratulations on upgrading to Honda. :garage:

You can then use the Discussion page in your garage to discuss issues you have / upgrades you are making, and use it as a project log. Obviously, you're also welcome to ask questions in the relevant section for your generation of Accord.

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK @nauest :welcome: and thank you for adding your Accord to the Club Garage.

Timing chain issues on the N22A are one of the more common problems. What's the service history like?
    There's a wealth of information about the chain...

Search Results for Query: Timing Chain

Once you've got it sorted, change the oil and filter every 6000 miles and you should be okay.

4. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Thanks for the welcome.

Yes I have picked up that my year had a particularly bad timing chain. My car has a full Honda Service history and had an engine transplant at 87k. The new engine has only done 41k miles but has been serviced at non Honda dealers. Looking at the info I wonder if the wrong oil has been used. Its been on long milage intervals too.

I have always done short services intervals on my DERVs so will definitely be doing it on this from now on!

My issue is getting the Chain changed without breaking the bank. I have heard that Holdcroft Honda is a good bet? I am heading past in the next few days so might book a health check? (I will probe move this to a dedicated Thread too.)

Cheers

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

HH are our preferred dealer, but that's not to say others aren't good too. However, we know that HH are top class and will do the job correctly.
    When you reach Club Member or Club Supporter status, you also receive a discount there. Could save you a decent amount on a job like that.

Have a look at this link.

Announcement - Rank Titles and Premium Members

6. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello:Bye:and a big :welcome:to the club
    That's a lovely looking car, I really hate when people get their first Honda and they just fall in love with it only together knocked back like you have with the timing chain issue but don't despair once you get to the root of the problem then I think you will see that you have made a great choice and won't want anything else.

7. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Thanks!
    Things are looking much more positive now, looks like I was just being a bit too paranoid (I have never had a Cam Chain before, not used to the noise!). Have done some serious servicing and its running good now. Will monitor the situation closley and service it super regularly.

Totally loving the car though, few little niggles to sort out but enjoying every minute of it! Was stuck on the m6 for 8 hours yesterday and it was almost enjoyable in this!

John Dickson, Superman001 and MickyB like this.
  8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

And enjoy the experience

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Accords are the most comfortable cruisers you can get I say :Grin:

10. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    Glad to hear that you don't have any major issues :Smile:

11. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Might need some new drive shafts in the near future but I can deal wit that!

12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello @nauest welcome to HK :welcome:

That's a lovely Accord Tourer and glad to hear the problem might not be as bad as first thought.

Oil of the correct viscosity is a main way to keep these DERVs quiet. Since mine was serviced and dealer put 5W30 in instead of 0W30 (arguing this with them is like talking to a brick wall :brickwall:) - not by accident either I might add, it's been nosier especially when cold.

I should take it up with them but just can't find the time.