Exhaust System Fitting a centre silencer

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Jables667, Friday 29th Jan, 2016.

1. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Hello all!

Tomorrow I'm gonna be tackling my centre silencer, as the rear pipe of it has rusted so badly that it's detached from the rear silencer completely. I picked up the part yesterday (and had a wonderful time getting it inside the car...)

This is the part I speak of (which Euro Car Parts reserved for me after giving them my reg etc). The car is a 6th Generation Honda Accord 2.0i SE.

topcat_704600382.

This is my first time fitting an exhaust. I figure it should be fairly straightforward, but I'm a bit apprehensive. Is there anything I should be wary of? The part itself has a three-bolt fixing where it attaches to the downpipe (I assume) and a two-bolt fixing at the rear silencer. Is this right? I don't trust ECP as far as I can throw them, if I'm honest. I've attempted to Google myself a tutorial or at least some kind of guide to let me know what to expect, but thus far the search has been fruitless.

Thanks in advance, guys! Any guidance is welcome and appreciated massively.

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I can't tell you how many bolts it takes but all I can suggest is that new bolts that you require to fit the silencer as the ones on the exhaust will reduce you to tears if you don't have any power tools. I have never seen exhaust bolts come off without the use of a lot of swear words, fire and power tools.

Only way I could manage to take them off was to use a small saw to cut off the bolts and simply use new ones.
    - - - Updated - - -
    this is how mine came off, both snapped .. paid QuickFit £25 to do it for me as exhaust is one job I don't think you can DIY with basic tools as its pretty difficult to work under the car with such limited space.
    2015-10-11 14.22.13.

3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I got my downpipe /flexi done last month at National and the guy was at it over 30mins with the torch at the CAT. I don't know the going rate but it cost me £130 (after discount voucher) and thats a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty - a decent service and price I thought.

When I got my mid&rear section done a few years ago at the local garage that guy said it took a load of heat to get it off at the other side of the CAT and required new bolts. You'll most likely need gaskets too.

I suspect it could be a bit of a pain to do to be honest.

4. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Don't be scared of it, if q - fit can do it anyone can ! Euro CS do a complete cat back system for my car for £60 odd which is silly money delivered. Yes we all get lazy this weather but as a CR-V is off the ground I may attempt it myself. Hey I can't make it any worse !

5. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    You were absolutely right. This is exactly where I've hit a dead end. The bolts are so old and rusted that they're seized and have rounded off. Only option now is to cut them off, I think. And you were also right about the amount of swearing involved... Pretty sure my neighbours won't be speaking to me for some time to come!

Currently looking into having it done at Kwik Fit. The advantage there, I suppose, is that at least I know I'm getting the correct gaskets and replacement bolts. My original plan was to supplement the gaskets temporarily with exhaust putty.

6. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Not sure of your system, on mine from the cat there's a long centre section and rear box. If the centres gone the rear won't be far behind. If your having agro and it sure sounds like it lol. I'd bite the bullet and go for a complete system from KF or similar. That way a complete system should carry a 2/3 year guarantee. You could return centre box for credit ?

7. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    We've got the correct centre box, as far as I can tell. The rear has been replaced at some point. It's still in pretty good condition with minimal rusting and no blows or holes, but the plan is to replace the whole thing with aftermarket parts eventually. At present it's just to get it through an MOT.

Agro would be an adequate description of what I'm experiencing, yes :Grin:

8. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    On mine the whole system from your favourite parts supplier is only £66 all in including fitting kit. The idea being I would only have to remove the 3 bolts from the cat and refit the complete all ready assembled in one piece.
    However I'm enjoying mine at the moment cos one week after passing MOT whilst driving there was a loud bang and all the exhaust internals have been blown out the back box. Knowing my luck it included the cat, which has given me a straight through boy racer sound and increase in performance.

9. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    That... That, my friend, is an extremely good idea. If I can get those three bolts off the cat, then the whole centre section will come off. My problem is separating the back box from the remains of the centre pipe. If I do it your way, all I have to do is replace the back box which I planned to do anyway. You're a freakin' genius.

10. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Geee I'm blushing lol. Don't forget fitting kit which also includes all correct asbestos gaskets, rubbert hangers etc. Might help to use axle stands or similar to support weight.
    Good luck and don't swear too much at me lol.