Aftermarket Kit Fitting a dash cam to a 2014 CR-V

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by 155695, Wednesday 10th Jun, 2015.

1. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I have a NextBase 402G Professional dash cam to fit to my Special Edition CR-V.

The issue is where to site it on the front screen. The normal position behind the rear view mirror is not available on this particular car, as to avoid the very large blacked-out area around the mirror, the camera would have to be virtually in the middle of the screen.

I am considering a couple of options, including in the lower nearside corner of the screen where the tax disc used to go or on the actual dash again in the same area. Fitting to the dash itself would need some sort of base affixed to the dash as the suction cap will not adhere directly to the dash surface (I don't really favour this approach as I want to avoid permanently fixing/gluing a base to the dash).

I wondered of any members had encountered the same issue and how they had overcome it.

This is not about the actual wiring which is not a problem but just where to site the camera.

Thanks in advance.

Keith

2. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Hi Keith, the one thing you MUST remember is the screen must not be visible to the driver. Otherwise it is illegal. There are quite a few threads on the subject of dashcam fitting on the 4th Generation CR-V. Mine is fitted just below the sensor housing behind the rear view mirror and gives a good range of visibility.

Check the other posts and see what you come up with. Good luck and post some pics as and when you are installing or on completion.

3. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Thanks - interesting that you say yours is fitted behind the rear view mirror - has yours got the very large black dimpled area in that position (see photos) because my suction cap won't adhere there. If yours has how did you get round fixing it to the screen. As I said, fixing it to avoid that area means it is virtually in the middle of the screen. By the way, I don't know what that large black object on the screen next to the mirror is.

In relation to visibility of the screen to the driver, I have mine set to go blank 30 seconds after starting the car so it's not an issue.

Keith

IMG_20150610_104433845_HDR. IMG_20150610_104830342_HDR.

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 10th Jun, 2015
  4. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    My CR-V is an EX model which has a different black "thing" behind the mirror. This houses the sensors for the wipers and I think the auto headlights and auto dipping system. This is a lot smaller than yours. Again with the screen not being visible I think the law (remember I THINK) is that the screen should not be visible to the driver if it is capable of showing video when the vehicle is in motion.

There are pictures of the fitting of my dashcam - Mini 0803 - someplace on the forum but after a quick search couldn't find them.

Good luck with it.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Mine is fixed on the black bit at the edge but the lens has a clear view. You want to make sure it is in the wiper area though otherwise it won't see anything when raining.

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Thanks for the responses. I suspected Zoot's darkened area was smaller than the one I have. Due to the design of the holder bracket, anywhere other than up high behind the mirror results in a major incursion into the viewing area by the camera so is a no no.

Looks like I'll have to do what I suggested in the 1st place and place it down low in the corner of screen on the passenger side. The view of the road like this is OK and the plus side is in that position the cable run is very short, additionally once it's connected up and operating it looks after itself. It only needs attention if it is necessary to view what has been recorded on a PC. The downside is that it's more obvious when the vehicle is parked but it's easy enough to remove from that position if parked anywhere "dodgy" which is very rare in my case.

Keith

7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    No such law mate - that would be the same for sat navs etc. You are not allowed to be distracted whilst driving so if its in a position where it, or anything really, distracts you, then you risk driving with undue care and attention. The windscreen itself must be clear of obstacles within the drivers general field of vision more so, so as its a permanent fixture, then it can't be slap bang in the middle. Having a screen on it is largely irrelevant.

To give you an idea of how I installed mine @155695

E-France Mini 0803 install

The black matrix of my screen isnt hugely different to yours other than I don't actually have a rain sensor there, however that bit of trim is a godsend, you can run the cables down it and it would look OEM. I would try to fix it directly behind the rearview mirror if it was me.

8. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Nighthawk - thanks for that it looks a very neat job - just as I would like mine but how on earth did you get the holder sucker to stick to the darkened area of the screen, plus there doesn't appear to be any room behind the cover of what I assume is some sort of sensor on mine.

Keith

9. Nighthawk Guest

Thats easy - use some double sided foam tape which is only around 1mm thick and cut it to size - something like this:
    Double Sided Foam Tape 12mm x 10m | Maplin

I would remove that trim and see if you can thread the wires down. There is normally loads of wasted space behind trim pieces so I reckon you could possibly thread it down there and keep it neat.

FirstHonda likes this.
  10. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Right - thanks for that, I'll do some further investigations into it.

Keith

11. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Well, fitted the dashcam and whilst (with Nighthawk's very helpful advice - thanks) I was able in theory to get a fix on the shaded area behind the mirror, the combination of the size of the mirror and the sensor next to it, coupled with the (in my opinion) over large and poorly designed, camera fixing bracket, there was no way it would have gone in that position without seriously impacting on the view from the windscreen. In addition, as well as the view problem, it also clashed with the lowering of the sun visors anywhere high up on the screen, other than right behind the mirror.

I finally settled for just above the dashboard in the bottom right of the screen on the driver's side. Great picture and the only downside is that it's fairly obvious when parked, however it takes 2 seconds to unplug and remove, so on the rare occasions I'm leaving it anywhere iffy, I'll just remove it.

Cable very easily routed down under the rubber trim cover that runs down the side of the dash and then up under the various housings below the steering wheel, tucked up inside the base of the centre console, appearing just in front of the auxiliary socket outlet into which it neatly plugs.

The camera itself is excellent in both day and night situations and very easy to operate, should the need arise, in its final position.

Anyway, thanks for the help and suggestions.

Keith

FirstHonda likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

Look forward to seeing some footage